Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg wouldn't be able to sell an Oasys 2 even if they made 1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekeymaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it all depends on the specs.If it blows the competition out of the water and it rectifies alot of issues that have been vented by many owners I think some of you may eat your words.I dont think (if they attempt one,which Im not so sure they will) a new OASYS would come in at anywhere near the price point of the original.

Im never one to alienate myself from one manufacturer's products because they didnt answer everyones requests.If ALL companies were worried about backlash they would never sell any new products ever again.There will always be something to moan about,no one workstation would ever be 100% perfect.Individual needs dictate too much.

Bleat all you want people but KORG will carry on regardless of how much you moan and groan and they will keep selling new products because they produce dam fine instruments.

Cake Muncher
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spalding12 wrote:

this was NOT a $4,000.00 worstation
but.....
more than twice that much money
why on earth would ANYONE.... EVER pay THAT kind of money for a workstation?
because..... it was supposedly FUTURE PROOF

I have NEVER, EVER seen any official Korg marketing material that claimed the OASYS was "future proof". If they did, that was wrong.

No hardware ANYTHING is "future proof"; you are always limited by the capabilities of the hardware.

The OASYS was more expensive than other Korg products because of Korg's cost to develop and produce the OASYS.

It is unfortunate that Korg Japan made the hard business decision to stop development but given this economy and the low volumes of the OASYS, I can see why they had to do what they did.
ricky recordo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derm wrote:
They certainly wont get my money again...

They'll still get mine. Never wanted an OASYS meself - as a few of you may recall Wink - but I simply must have that new black MicroKorg thingie... it will be mine, oh yes it will...

peace y'all

ricky
robkeith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: My 2 cents worth from another thread Reply with quote

Hi all,

boy it amazes me how anyone could excuse Korg's complicit deceipt in regard to nothing lasts for ever, My take on it is that, if that was not the case why do so many of us believe it was. Obviously an implied up gradability from Korgs part. As far as Oasys 2 is concerned, it would sell if its under $5k with all the latest developments, no doubt about that, but super priced boards never again. as follows from my other discussions on threads"

Hi all,

After the official news from Korg of the retirement of the Oasys, which was after months of detailed questioning of Korg, and denials, re the whispers from big O owners, why would Korg open up the coding, they just want this whole thing to go away, quietly.

Its great that Karo are further developing sounds for the big O, still currently the best synth out there, I say Synth because the other features are way below par, compared to cheaper units on the market out there, but lets get honest and understand that, expecting Korg to release the coding to anyone, is a major fantasy.

Korg want us all to buy further products from them, hence the "something in the pipeline" to keep us from going to other developers for a synth that delivers a basic pc/synth sequencer, thats fast and efficient. Even thier own M3, and the new release does this.

After all the requests from owners for the number one priority "sequencer updates", why do you think we haven't to date got one, answer Korg dont want us to have it! why?, I guess only the powers at Korg can tell us, and dont say because of cost, that is a joke. Maybe I should have been talking cost when I bought the Big "O". I am sick of waiting asking, and pleading for decent sequencer upgrades, its time to move on.

As I said currently the "O" best synth, but VST's are fast tracking towards outdateing the "O", Open Labs a perfect discussion point, even Karma, has 6 GE cats, instead of 4 for the big O, and Steven will never say its becoming outdated, its not in his best interests to do so. And Korg can carry on with all of the discussions about it was never the be all, and end all, because we know different, thats not what the sales blurbs said or implied.

Its a catch 22, i'm surprised that the Owners havent organised a class action against Korg by now, there is plenty of evidence to suggest we were led up the perverbial, for me, I just beleive this has been a sorry and very expensive exercise that I will never make again, so thanks Korg for stopping me from ever spending so much money on another under developed piece of equipement.

I mean thanks in a good way, because none of us will ever spend this much again, I'm sure Roland and Yamaha and other developers shelved expensive releases that would have offered fantastic developments because of Korg, and the outcome will be poor outcomes for anything not VST enabled, hence why the move away to those products.

Serious lessons to be learnt by all, Jerry and Dan I believe you would have pleaded the case to the Governing bodies in Japan, so i'm not upset with you, and I have appreciated your help, however the Board need to re think the Big "O" strategy, which I dont think will happen, but I allways live in hope. When my Open Labs arrives shortly, I will be happy to tell you all about it.
thekeymaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: My 2 cents worth from another thread Reply with quote

robkeith wrote:

Its a catch 22, i'm surprised that the Owners havent organised a class action against Korg by now, there is plenty of evidence to suggest we were led up the perverbial, for me, I just beleive this has been a sorry and very expensive exercise that I will never make again, so thanks Korg for stopping me from ever spending so much money on another under developed piece of equipement.

Good post above Rob but I think that portion of it is a bit harsh.....I think the OASYS was probably the most R&D'd piece of equipment any manufacturer has produced.It took 10 years to come to market,not really under developed.

And as for the legal avenue.....well there is just no need is there...I dont think anyone was mislead.You dont splash out £5,000 or $8,000 on a workstation without giving it some serious thought and know exactly what you are buying.

Cake Muncher
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricky recordo wrote:
Derm wrote:
They certainly wont get my money again...

They'll still get mine. Never wanted an OASYS meself - as a few of you may recall Wink - but I simply must have that new black MicroKorg thingie... it will be mine, oh yes it will...

Hi, Ricky, nice to see you alive and kicking, dude. Smile

Well, I´m on the same boat that Derm and others are.
In my case Korg "got my money" with the OASYS, but certainly, they wont have my money again.

Not only beause I´m extremely disappointed with the Korg decission about not keeping some kind of develop for the O in the coming years, but partly because I guess I wont have so much big figures anymore to spend, after finishing payments for the big O.

RC-IA stated in The Japan discontinue Oasys THREAD that if it's about the crisis why they had stopped to develop the OASYS, he hoped we won't see a better cheaper keyboard from korg until 2 or 3 years, cause he will take it as a big lie from Korg.

I can relate so much to that argument, but, anyway I guess this is the last workstation I´ll buy. In the future I will explore other areas and directions from my music.

Regards, my friend, and I hope you´ll enjoy that MicroKorg .
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:

No hardware ANYTHING is "future proof"; you are always limited by the capabilities of the hardware.

Agreed Martin.

But following that line of thinking you could argue as well that the hardware of the OASYS is *still* capable of so much more, in a way no other keyboard ever was, as its core and functionality is software driven.

So add / change/ modify its software, and the OASYS hardware is still up to date to any innovation its designers wanted to add to it.
Charlie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No form is future proof - my/your life is not future proof - the only future proof "thing" is constant change. Wink
(Sorry for this philosophical input - but I could not resist Embarassed)
Sekwenz32

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: :\ Reply with quote

Hi all,

Same goes for me,.. I dont think Korg will be getting more money from my side for the next couple of decades ,.. i have been a Korg fan ever since,.. Prophecy, Wavestations, X5D, i-30, Electribes, Karma, MS-2000b & r, Oasys + all related instruments, Kontrol49 & microKontrol, but the Oasys have been giving me troubles since i got it,.. it costed me around 6,000 Eur to get one to our shores,.. waiting a whole year for it,.. and i simply cant use it :S

See here for info for my problem: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34714&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

i thank all ( Dan, Jerry, Daz & Sharp, Stephen ) for the help they gave me,.. but basically i need to ship my (not-pocket sized) Oasys to Italy or somewhere to get it fixed..hopefully,.. of corse paying for all the expenses which i dont afford now,,.. and being, that im still paying the Oasys ( 2000 eur remaining) i basically cant do anything!!

And then,.. Korg stops the devs on the machine,...great... i invested in a 40 Kg mug coaster, which lies on my big table in the studio, which has a shiny blue screen saying something about a Public ID :\ . I dont blame Korg for putting a retard sequencer in the machine ( for me it was enough ) as i use logic and stephen s KO software, but i would love to see my Oasys switching on again... at least,....
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: :\ Reply with quote

There is a local repair shop, but the last time we talked, you did not want to take your keyboard there. Perhaps it might be time to reconsider?
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
EnSoNiQuEs~

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comes as no surprise that O is discontinued, with so much potential still there.

Same pattern I've seen with Korg X3 and trying to get PCM cards for it. Extreme with no OS updates to the sequencer of features that older Studio has.

For a while, I was gearing up to get the O, based on all the stuff I read (before it was discontinued) that it was "open" and could live on for a while. Even with hardware set in stone, but with great software potential that older WS didn't have. Finally a WS that could have updates(for free or for a fee) coming for years, a worthy investment for that kind initial money!

But oh well, only once again to fall into the same pattern. It's not the limitation of technology say in Korg X3, Extreme, but a simple business practice, "sell it and cut all strings". It's kind of hard to take the dumping of an "Open" WS that none prior to it advertised, but could have still been continuously improved, even for a fee. (like software developers selling most recent versions of their software. I'd always pay and get the latest software).

Good thing the "discontinuation" of O came before I went out and spent that kind of money.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnSoNiQuEs~ wrote:
It's kind of hard to take the dumping of an "Open" WS that none prior to it advertised, but could have still been continuously improved, even for a fee. (like software developers selling most recent versions of their software. I'd always pay and get the latest software).

There is a big difference in volumes between the Korg OASYS (very low volume) and nearly any software product.

People say they would pay to get OASYS updates, but would you pay $1,000 or $1,500 for an OASYS software update?

I been casually monitoring OASYS sales over at eBay for the last few years, and it surprises me how many OASYS being sold have no paid upgrades. The same is true for other keyboards.

I am sure no one at Korg is happy about dropping OASYS development, but some times tough business decisions have to be made to keep a company profitable and in business.
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnSoNiQuEs~ wrote:

Good thing the "discontinuation" of O came before I went out and spent that kind of money.

This announcement of the discontinuation of the OASYS (both hardware being made and Software updates in the future) has both sides of the story for the end user: The ones who purcahse the instrument before the discontinuation of the product and the ones who did it or will do it after it.

Those who buy the instrument now will be rewarded with a better price for sure, of course they have to be aware the instrument is now out of the market, so to speak.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnSoNiQuEs~ wrote:
This comes as no surprise that O is discontinued, with so much potential still there.

Same pattern I've seen with Korg X3 and trying to get PCM cards for it. Extreme with no OS updates to the sequencer of features that older Studio has.

For a while, I was gearing up to get the O, based on all the stuff I read (before it was discontinued) that it was "open" and could live on for a while. Even with hardware set in stone, but with great software potential that older WS didn't have. Finally a WS that could have updates(for free or for a fee) coming for years, a worthy investment for that kind initial money!

But oh well, only once again to fall into the same pattern. It's not the limitation of technology say in Korg X3, Extreme, but a simple business practice, "sell it and cut all strings". It's kind of hard to take the dumping of an "Open" WS that none prior to it advertised, but could have still been continuously improved, even for a fee. (like software developers selling most recent versions of their software. I'd always pay and get the latest software).

If you were, in earnest, interested in the OASYS, I'd strongly urge you to find one (fully updates) and try it. The OASYS is outstanding. There won't be an instrument along like this for a long time, and if you are interested in it you will not be disappointed. You really need to take this into consideration. There's no comparison with other workstations.

I realise money is an issue, but it sound to me like it's not THE issue for you. You seem to be willing to pay for exquisite music technology - and in OASYS you will not be disappointed. You know its limitations and pitfalls if you've been reading this forum - but honestly, as workstations go, you'd love it, and it's limitations are resolvable by hooking it up to a DAW. But its strenths are just marvelous. Even 4 years on I still find that every session with the OASYS creates the feeling you get at a new instrument. It oozes class, it responds to the most demanding music requirements and it's bursting at the seems with quality and depth.

Every instrument has its limitations, every company has to balance a profit and loss sheet and every synthesizer - even ALL of the greats - were eventually cancelled. So don't cut off your nose to spite your face - forget abotu updates and get out and buy the best all-round instrument there is.

Without evven considering the endless lists of other amazing features within OASYS that are well documented - three others - namely low latency, low aliasing oscillators and guaranteed high polyphonic note count even in complex synth engines just sets you free to compose and play in a way that no softsynth currently do. It's not a big deal - but it makes all the difference in giving you huge freedom and capability.

The bottom line is - if you want an instrument that will give you outstaanding performance for years to come; then you really need to get an OASYS.

Kevin.
rtucker55

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
So don't cut off your nose to spite your face - forget abotu updates and get out and buy the best all-round instrument there is.

The bottom line is - if you want an instrument that will give you outstaanding performance for years to come; then you really need to get an OASYS.

Kevin.

Kevin you make a Great point here!

I have personally come to terms with the fact that there will not be any more updates. Ever since, I have spent more quality time with the Oasys than I was when we were still looking for the next major O/S upgrade.

I am always watching for the latest and greatest new keyboard to hit the market but since I have owned the Oasys there just isn't anything else out there that impresses me. If I could only have one keyboard, without question, it would be the Oasys. Very Happy

Best regards,
Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: