Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changes thru midi (program, combi,multi etc)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Changes thru midi (program, combi,multi etc) Reply with quote

Hello

I hace just acquired a rack Very Happy and want to use it as a multitimbral module from Cubase SX. I have a patchscript set up in Cubase but it does not seem to differentiate between programs or combis.

From Cubase what midi messages do I send to be able to

1 Change the mode from/to program, combi or multi
2 Be able to load one of the 16 template a multis
3 In multi mode be able to select a program or combi for any channel
(what msb,lsb selects a combi,what msb,lsb selects a program) . Can this be done without a multi template loaded?

I would really like to get to know where programs, combis and multis and songs are stored and how they can be addressed through midi.

Thanks
dave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Mode changes:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=41287

2 Load Multis:

Song Select MIDI command will do this.

3 Select Programs or Combis in a Multi:

You can only select Programs (via Bank Select and Program Change) within a Multi, not Combis. This is because a Combi consists of a number of Programs. What you could do instead is to copy the Combi you want to a Multi, then add the extra Programs you require to the leftover channels, set up their FX routing to suit, and save the Multi. Note that you can save any or all Multis as sysex directly into your sequencer rather than to a floppy.

Kind regards.
SSR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dave.

When I transmit the sysex commands from Cubase (I have checked with midi yoke and ox that these are actually reaching the rack) the rack midi light does not come on as it does when I send midi notes and nothing changes. Is there a setting on the rack somewhere to accept sysex?

Also could you please give me the format of the song select command, I am new to this stuff.

Thanks
dave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Global > Pref:

Ensure that Memory Protect is unchecked for each type of data.

2. Global > Menu > MIDI > Open:

Ensure that MIDI Filter is checked for each type of data.

When you've made the settings you require, press Utility and Write Global Setting so you won't have to do all of this each time you switch the unit on.

I'm not familiar with Cubase -- I use Digital Performer which offers Song Select in its MIDI event menu as an insertable. Perhaps it might be named something else like Song Number or Song Change? It may be mentioned in your manual index. Failing that, perhaps a query on the Cubase users forum might bear fruit?

In any event, Song Select is a System Common message with a Status byte of 0xF3, a message size of 1 (one), and Byte 1 would be the Song (Multi) number. There's no second byte.

Good luck with it.

Kind regards.
SSR

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dave
Thanks for all the details. I have tried the global settings as suggested but the rack is not responding to the mode changes. I am actually routing the message thru midi ox and I can see the sysex messages in the list being transmitted but the mode on the rack does not change.

Also I have googled for ages and cannot find a single midi software that will send song select messages - will your sequencer do this? In Cubase and Sonar LE the editors only allow sysex messages.

Thanks
dave

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about this but the Rack may need to be connected bidirectionally -- both MIDI In and MIDI Out. Mine is.

Additionally, check that your MIDI transmission and reception channels match. I have my global channel set to 1 and I always transmit sysex on channel 1.

Also, if you're using a multi-port MIDI interface, make sure that it's not set to filter out sysex on the Triton's port.

As I wrote above, Digital Performer features an insertion menu in its event list window that allows you to insert notes, CCs, pitchbend, mono and channel pressure, program changes, sysex, mode changes, loops, tune requests, track mutes, and song selects.

Most hardware drum machines use song select to change patterns so this is pretty common. Since I don't use Cubase, nor Windows, I strongly suggest you seek further advice and guidance on this in the Cubase user forum.

Kind regards.
SSR

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dave

Disccovered why it wasn't working - I had one data byte too many in my messages - all my fault.

Mode changes now working perfectly

Thank you

I have posted on the Cubase forums about song select - no response - looks like Cubase doesn't cater for system common messages - shame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Rack All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: