Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oasys Tips and Tricks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tokke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done Cool
MIDIManNI

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for some very useful tips. I will be trying all of them out.

I may even have some of my own presently!

www.boardgamegeek.com Boardgaming - Another passion of mine!
Mag66

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Using several Global only setting configs. Reply with quote

(Reposted from KLF)

It's worth noting that you can save out and reload back in, just global settings so you can think of these little files as different configuration files for the Oasys...

I have several that I load in depending on what I am doing.. for example;

Global1 - Default Setup
Golbal2 - Sync set to external and Local set to off for my sequencer as well as some minor CC changes...
Global3 - Heavier setting for Aftertouch due my own 'ham-fisted' manner of playing!
Global4 - Much lighter settings for Aftertouch & Velocity especially for the dainty fingered Brenda!!
Global5 - Weird Scale for when I'm in the mood for something with a more "Eastern" flavor

Makes everything so much simplier than having to remember and set everything up each time.... Just load in the small global only file and away you go! I am sure users can think of many other uses for these little config files other than the examples I gave above.. If so, post 'em up please!

Cheers..

Nigel

The Art Of Sound Website **UPDATED: 1st FEB 2008**

MBP 17", M-Audio Midisport 8X8 Oasys88, Karma, Triton Classic, and a whole bunch of other keyboards, modules, racks, software + such
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you create a particularly interesting variant of a Program using Tone Adjust in Combi or Seq mode and wish to capture that as a new a Program that you can use again in other pieces, here is how you do that :

1) Go into Program Mode and select the original Program that you Tone Adjusted back in Seq/Combi mode.

2) Save a copy of that original Program to an empty Program slot, in one of the User banks for example.

3) Select the copied Program and go to Play -> Control Surface -> Tone Adjust

4) From the page menu select the option Copy Tone Adjust and in the dialog that appears select your Song/Combi and the appropriate Track number or Timbre as the source, and check the All option. Hit OK.

5) Save the Program into memory in the normal way (using the Write Program option from the page menu or by pressing the sequencer transport Rec/Write button)

Daz.
Anashwaran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Daz,
That's a good one!
Specially to be able to copy from Songs in Sequencer Mode!Idea
JAI JAI Anashwaran
Anashwaran's New Website
mozartella

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Using several Global only setting configs. Reply with quote

Mag66 wrote:
(Reposted from KLF)

It's worth noting that you can save out and reload back in, just global settings so you can think of these little files as different configuration files for the Oasys...

I have several that I load in depending on what I am doing.. for example;

Global1 - Default Setup
Golbal2 - Sync set to external and Local set to off for my sequencer as well as some minor CC changes...
Global3 - Heavier setting for Aftertouch due my own 'ham-fisted' manner of playing!
Global4 - Much lighter settings for Aftertouch & Velocity especially for the dainty fingered Brenda!!
Global5 - Weird Scale for when I'm in the mood for something with a more "Eastern" flavor

Makes everything so much simplier than having to remember and set everything up each time.... Just load in the small global only file and away you go! I am sure users can think of many other uses for these little config files other than the examples I gave above.. If so, post 'em up please!

Cheers..

Nigel

My dear Nigel,

how do you make your different GLOBAL and how do you SAVE them?

thanks you, I did not found the trick yet Rolling Eyes Sad
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Using several Global only setting configs. Reply with quote

mozartella wrote:

My dear Nigel,

Global has a check-box in Save PCG.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
mozartella

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Using several Global only setting configs. Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
mozartella wrote:

My dear Nigel,

Global has a check-box in Save PCG.

- Dan

Thanks you Dan, I forgot all about the PCG....shame on me Embarassed
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Guys,couldn't see this anywhere else but jsut a little trick I have found useful for me For playing drums into the Oasys

You can use a Footswitch plugged into the back of the Oasys to play a kick drum like a traditional method of playing,just simply plug in the FS into the socket then go to global mode and set the FS parameter to "Pad 1"(You can assign it to any of the pad numbers doesn't matter)then assign that Pad in your program or combi/Seq modes to a specific Drum or drum track and the note you want it to trigger that sound

I find this most useful,for combi sounds that don't naturally have a Drum track or karma track running,just simply assign a free timbre to a drum kit and then the pad to trigger the Kick note,and use the Footswitch to trigger that kick it helps you to still keep a type of metronome rigidity to your playing and it allows you to still play double handed

Maybe a pointless tip,but its something I find useful and it wasn't possible on past workstations

Its just a shame Korg didn't include a couple more Footswitch inputs,you could have triggered Hihats and Kicks together

by using the Fs to trigger the Pads,you can also trigger chords assigned to that pad with it,so it would be doubly useful if Korg had of utilised a couple of FS inputs,so if your using Multiple Keyboards you could've trigger the karma module with Chords from the FS Live whilst playing a melody on another synth

this method would have also allowed you to trigger the chords on the Karma and free up a hand to switch modules(Scene) on the Karma too,I find that when triggering Karma Live I never have enough hands to do everything on the Fly,although I get round it by using an external sequencer to send out CC for certain modules to switch things on and off etc..

the FS is good for also triggering some of the Karma switches etc,sadly you can only assign one at a time but it helps Wink
realkuhl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Stereo Tube PreAmp Modeling Reply with quote

I have not posted here very often - but hello all - one trick for voicing I've come across that will work equally well in Combination or Sequencer mode is to use the Stereo Tube PreAmp for either High Pass or Low Pass filtering. The standard EQ's are too sloped for really effective HP/LP filter cutting.

If you want the level to be more matched, set the gain of both Tube 1 and 2 to -1.5 and output to 0.0.

Another effect trick I use all the time is to call up the BPM Stereo DDL but use the "Adjust %" and set L to +0.50 and Right to -0.50 to make the stereo image wider and slightly imperfect. This was a feature that I requested to Korg Inc. for the Triton (if I remember correctly, which is questionable at times) - anyway, it makes a sweet difference... I'm not a fan of perfectly locked DDL's Laughing

Anyway, happy holidayz !!

Custom Sounds and Free Video Tutorials for
Virtual Instruments: www.pluginguru.com

My comments and opinions are not official statements from Korg Inc. I'm not official !!
realkuhl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Drum Kit Level Control Reply with quote

Here is one I use often when I wish to control the level of a drum sound in a drum kit... usually (for me) the Tambo or Shaker or some other element will be too loud in the mix. Rather than burning 1 of the 16 timbre spots to key window this, I will instead use the MIDI Filter/Zones tab to set the top (or bottom) note at the note that is to loud (if you lower the range one more note, then that drum sound goes away, so then go back up 1 note) and then use the Fade parameter which will lower just that upper (or lower) range.... the trick is that it will not play notes above this note - but that usually isn't an issue. If you want more control (a fade value of 1 is quite a large slope), then change the top note to a higher note... the higher you go, the less drastic the slope is for the loud drum sound.

Ho Ho Ho !!

Custom Sounds and Free Video Tutorials for
Virtual Instruments: www.pluginguru.com

My comments and opinions are not official statements from Korg Inc. I'm not official !!
SoulBe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Live switching between sounds Reply with quote

Tokke wrote:
Hi all,

I might be repeating something that has been said before, but I think this might be useful for live gigging people.

I've found a workaround to switch between four sounds without having the unused sounds eating up voices. It is as simple as this:

The only condition is that Karma is not used in your setup.
- Start from an initialised combi.
- Activate Karma.
- Uncheck all 'Run' Checkboxes on 0-5 (Play->Karma GE)
- Go to 7-5 (Karma->Perf. RTP)
- In Group, select Key Zones.
- In Parameter, select Thru Inside Zone.
- Check 'A'.
- In Assign, select SW1.
- Repeat this 3 more times, for every next line take the next checkbox (B,C,D) and the next SW (SW2,3,4)
- With the Control Surface on Karma, select the first scene and activate SW1.
- For the next 3 scenes, activate the correspondig Switches.

Now you have 4 scenes, each selecting the programs using midi channel 1,2,3 or 4. This way you can select which program belongs to which scene by setting the correct midi channel of the program. Actually, you can extend this with more scenes if you want layer together two or more groups of programs simply by activating the right switches under the scene you want to have it.
Like I said, this way the muted sounds are not being triggered at all so there is no polyphony wasted. Furthermore, a note still sounding prior to switching to another scene is not suddenly broken off, but will continue until you release the note.

Hope this can be useful Very Happy

was usefull though posted 3 years ago Very Happy ; here is an appedix:

if you use the "By off/by on" function in timbre-parameters you can use the global midi channel twice and can switch sounds 5 times:

Same settings like Tokke wrote but:

1. sound uses global channel / timbre parameter page Wave Seq/Karma "by on" - timbre plays when karma is off
2. sound uses also global channel, but "Seq/Karma" is set to "by off", timbre plays when you switch karma on
3.-5. sound using midi channels 2 - 4 "Seq/Karma" is set to "normal"

good thing is, that you can switch to the scene you want while playing the first sound(s)/Global channel with Karma of, so you can directly use the selected sounds on the Karma switches when turning Karma on

in addition I use for the solo sounds limiter or compressor in the ifx and modulate the volume / db with the foot control asingned in the ifx to have more control on the volume of solo sounds

SoulBe
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep making use of this little feature : when an LFO uses one of the Random shapes and you set the Stop parameter, it instead generates a random value at every note-on. If you're enjoying using the Randomize modulation source in Omnisphere, then this you gives something equivalent on the Oasys.

Daz.
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m ejoying this threath more everyday, guys!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SoulBe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
to sustain chords on the pads without holding them down and cutting off when the next pad is triggered you can do that if you

- set the max number of voices (timbre tab and then osc tab) in the combi to lets say 4 or five for the sound that is assigned to the pads
- set a long release time in the used timbre/sound or enable the hold button in program mode for the sound (tab basics/vector >>>> keyzone), so that the sound sustaines after triggering

When you trigger the next pad, it cuts off the former because of the voice number limitation no matter when the chords change. Only thing is that all chords must have the same numer of voices otherwise the former pads sounds on if the next pad uses not all voices.

regards
SoulBe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: