Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to add additional modules to an M3
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
britindus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am still looking for some to tell me how well the Radias R can be controlled by an M3.....

so far I am hanging off buying one until I know ... else I will end up selling my R and buying the int card

can anyone explain what the Rack version can do with the M3 and how well it intergrates??
britindus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How to add additional modules to an M3 Reply with quote

am still looking for some to tell me how well the Radias R can be controlled by an M3.....

so far I am hanging off buying one until I know ... else I will end up selling my R and buying the int card

can anyone explain what the Rack version can do with the M3 and how well it intergrates??

jerrythek wrote:
This question just came up at the Karma-Lab forums so I thought I'd also post the answer here.

There will be some additional hardware required for adding the RADIAS-R to an M3.

If you look at the back hinging mechanism on the M3-61 you'll see the first type of part:

A lifting hinge mechanism.

This is required for adding any new module as a second piece to an M3 product ( meaning a RADIAS-R to an M3-73/88 or a second M3-M to an 88 ).

If you are adding the RADIAS-R to a unit you will also need a second part (a kind of "tray"), since its design isn't ready to fit into the channel on the M3 keybed mechanism.

And if you want to replace your M3-M on your 61 you'll also need this tray.

Korg is arranging them to be sent to all of us and we will be offering them for sale as service parts, no store-stocking items (they're rather small). Pricing has not been finalized yet.

regards,

Jerry

Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is going for this option Sweetwater sell the necessary pieces :

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M3-Mal/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M3-Mat/

Daz.
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had the same question as to how the Radias R can integrate with the M3, such as can you sequence on the M3 and then add tracks using the Radias as the sound source? Or how would you do that. It makes me wonder if the Radias R would function mostly as a performance device and not so much as a sequencing tool integrated with the M3. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm reading a lot and seriously considering getting the M3 as well as the Radias but which Radias? I know the internal would sequence just fine with the M3, but I feel the manual controls would be lacking and not as effective to control it using the screen settings.
album cover
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are talking about adding modules to M3, I would like to know how to add a keyboard controller to M3-m so that it functions like the M3 keyboard.

The problem with MIDI controller keyboard is that in Sequencer I have to change both the track on M3-m and MIDI channel on the keyboard controller for recording.

What global settings should be set so that M3-m receives MIDI on the currently selected track in sequencer automatically.

Thanks.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but am curious if anyone's found any modules OTHER THAN THE RADIAS that fit on the 4U rack? The Prophet 08 rack looks close as well as some others.

Would love to see what other people have done with it.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but am curious if anyone's found any modules OTHER THAN THE RADIAS that fit on the 4U rack? The Prophet 08 rack looks close as well as some others.

Would love to see what other people have done with it.

-Mc

I don't have an M3 but i've got a Radias-R and i've theorised before that the MS2000 should fit. or any tabletop-4U rack module.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
I don't have an M3 but i've got a Radias-R and i've theorised before that the MS2000 should fit. or any tabletop-4U rack module.

I think the MS2000 is 5U. Probably the better question would have been, what are all of the 4U tabletop rack modules out there? I haven't CONFIRMED any but several look like they'll work.

My guesses were Roland V-Synth XT, DSI Prophet 08, and Nord Rack 2x. Haven't really found any others.

thanks...

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just looked. The MS2000 is indeed 4U. So is the V-Synth XT, but looking at images (and from what I remember of seeing it in stores), the V-Synth is quite deep, more like the M3 Module (but still 19-inch rack width rather than the too-wide M3). so that might not work. Prophet 08-Rack looks more promising. as does the Nord Lead 2x rack.

shame, because I think the M3 and V-Synth would make a superb combination.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
I've just looked. The MS2000 is indeed 4U.

Here's where I got the info:

http://messe.harmony-central.com/Musikmesse03/article/Korg/MS2000B-MS2000BR.html

Quote:
Dimensions: MS2000B = 737.8(W) x 371.3(D) x 147.7(H)mm / 29.0"(W) x 14.6"(D) x 5.8"(H), MS2000BR = 482.0(W) x 233.2(D) x 87.1(H)mm / 19.0" (W) x 9.2"(D) x 3.4"(H) 5U rack-mountable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korg_MS2000

Quote:
Dimensions
MS2000R: 482.0 (W) ´ 233.2 (D) ´ 87.1 (H) mm (5U rack space)

and the owner's manual http://www.synthzone.com/midi/korg/ms2000/MS2000_R_OM.pdf

Quote:
Dimensions
•MS2000R: 482.0 (W) ´ 233.2 (D) ´ 87.1 (H) mm [five-space rack mount]

I don't have one and it's been a long time since I had one in front of me. Are they giving an extra U because it's needed for cables or power button access or...

If it's 4U, I may pick one up quick... I bought the RADIAS mainly because I didn't think the MS2000B wouldn't fit.

X-Trade wrote:
So is the V-Synth XT, but looking at images (and from what I remember of seeing it in stores), the V-Synth is quite deep, more like the M3 Module (but still 19-inch rack width rather than the too-wide M3). so that might not work. Prophet 08-Rack looks more promising. as does the Nord Lead 2x rack.

shame, because I think the M3 and V-Synth would make a superb combination.

Since I have the EXB-RADIAS, I would like to add something there that is "different." Something I can't get with the M3 or EXB-RADIAS. The Prohpet 08 or Nord may be the trick.

Thanks!

-Mc
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're right, of course. it does look larger than the Radias...
and if it says that in the owner's manual then i would say it probably is.

But I did find several retailers listing its dimensions as 4U (zzsounds, samedaymusic, etc... these seem to be mostly 'lesser' sites actually. unless they've measured it themselves).

I agree it could be for cabling. Last time I checked actually they still had one in my local music store so i'll go have a look next time i'm around there.

it also looks like a virus rack like the Virus-Br may fit. I have one of those too, but no M3 to try it.
digitop

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakil wrote:
While we are talking about adding modules to M3, I would like to know how to add a keyboard controller to M3-m so that it functions like the M3 keyboard.

The problem with MIDI controller keyboard is that in Sequencer I have to change both the track on M3-m and MIDI channel on the keyboard controller for recording.

What global settings should be set so that M3-m receives MIDI on the currently selected track in sequencer automatically.

Thanks.

This is one of few things you experience when using MIDI instead of TO-KEYBOARD 9-pin min DIN jack. You'll read more in my recent post at http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47019 . Although I dislike the cheap M3's Keybed, I need to find one.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
you're right, of course. it does look larger than the Radias...
and if it says that in the owner's manual then i would say it probably is.

But I did find several retailers listing its dimensions as 4U (zzsounds, samedaymusic, etc... these seem to be mostly 'lesser' sites actually. unless they've measured it themselves).

I agree it could be for cabling. Last time I checked actually they still had one in my local music store so i'll go have a look next time i'm around there.

it also looks like a virus rack like the Virus-Br may fit. I have one of those too, but no M3 to try it.

I have looked at an MS2000B-R the other day. i must confirm here that it IS 5U.
I don't know why some other sites were listing it at 4U.

however, the Virus B Rack/tabletop module is 4u (but you have to mount your own rack ears. I also think the Nord Lead Rack is a 4u tabletop module like the Radias.
Ajara

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all these years....does anybody know where I can get an mal hinge mechanism to tilt up the module ?

THX.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: