Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Korg M3 sequencer tutorial videos posted.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: New Korg M3 sequencer tutorial videos posted. Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I just posted a basic sequencer tutorial for the M3. it also relates to the M50, Triton family, and OASYS. It covers some basic operations (all I could fit into two 10-minute YouTube videos). If you're just getting started with our sequencers, or just want to see what it's like to record in a Korg workstation, these might be helpful to you.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Sn9AUDuc8
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3xhB067NBs

Part 1: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3128734/korg_m3_basic_sequencing_part_1_in_the_studio_with_korg/
Part 2: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/3128787/korg_m3_basic_sequencing_part_2_in_the_studio_with_korg/

Part 1: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa1ygf_korg-m3-basic-sequencing-part-1-in_music
Part 2: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa1yn4_korg-m3-basic-sequencing-part-2-in_music

As always, feel free to leave comments. Thanks very much!
kikedeolivos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Your timing couldn't have been better.

I was going bananas with the M50 sequencer. I've had Ensoniq workstations in the past and lately Sonar 4 but I wanted to use the M50's sequencer.

My Internet connection is pretty bad right now and I don't know if you covered in your tutorials a couple of things:

1) How to record parts for a song (patterns?) and insert them as will in different parts of the song. For example, I'm sequencing Toto's Africa and wanted to record the Marimbas as a pattern, save it somewhere? and then insert them in the parts of the song I need them.

2) How to use an included Korg drum pattern and just insert 2 measures of it in a song.

If this has been covered in your tutorials, please don't feel obliged to answer.

Thanks

Korg M50 / Korg Nanokontrol 2

Past gear

Teisco Organ / Yamaha Electone / Casio CZ-230S / Casio CZ-3000 / Ensoniq ESQ 1 / Ensoniq SQ1 / Ensoniq SQ1 Plus / Ensoniq SD-1 /Yamaha PSR? / Hammond XM-1 / Roland RS9 / H&K Rotosphere / Yamaha S80 / Korg X5 / Kurzweil ME-1 / Korg X5D / Korg CX-3 (V2) / Hammond M111 & Leslie 147

Youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/bubusdeolivos?feature=results_main
RichF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kikedeolivos wrote:

1) How to record parts for a song (patterns?) and insert them as will in different parts of the song. For example, I'm sequencing Toto's Africa and wanted to record the Marimbas as a pattern, save it somewhere? and then insert them in the parts of the song I need them.

2) How to use an included Korg drum pattern and just insert 2 measures of it in a song.

I kept it pretty basic, and really only introduced the editing tools. I did cover creating a Drum Track in another video, and that's closely related to using patterns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOSHg3xK7bo

1) Essentially, you can record the pattern either from the Play/Rec page of the sequencer, or from within the Pattern/RPPR page... once it's in there, go to Pattern/RPPR page, and use the "Get from Track" command from the drop-down menu. Note that you can change the length and meter of patterns with the "Pattern Parameter" command. Then, use the "Put to track" command to copy it wherever you want. You could also go to the RPPR Setup tab, and assign patterns to keys, so you can trigger them whenever you want.

2) While you're in the Pattern/RPPR page (Pattern Edit tab), switch the patterns from User to Preset. Then, select the one you want, and use the "Put to track" command from the drop-down menu to copy it wherever you'd like. It will always copy the entire pattern, so you''ll have to manually erase the measures you don't want. So, unless you have a free track, you might want to put it in an empty Song, and then copy the measures you want using the "Copy Measure" command from the Track Edit page.
kikedeolivos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I need to save first those patterns, ie, Marimba 1st verse, Marimba 2nd verse and then recall them? Can I record those patterns / loops, save them somehow and recall those patterns s needed?

I'm thinking about DAW recording where I can just record those Marimbas (parts 1 and 2) and copy those loops wherever I want, choosing the bars, etc. where to insert the loops?

Thanks

Past gear

Teisco Organ / Yamaha Electone / Casio CZ-230S / Casio CZ-3000 / Ensoniq ESQ 1 / Ensoniq SQ1 / Ensoniq SQ1 Plus / Ensoniq SD-1 /Yamaha PSR? / Hammond XM-1 / Roland RS9 / H&K Rotosphere / Yamaha S80 / Korg X5 / Kurzweil ME-1 / Korg X5D / Korg CX-3 (V2) / Hammond M111 & Leslie 147

Youtube channel

RichF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Give them different names using the second tab in Pattern/RPPR mode.

If you're used to DAW editing, you might get all the functionality you want out of the "Copy Measure" command in the Track Edit page. You choose which measures you want to copy, which track, where you want to copy to, and you're all set. All of those commands in the Track Edit page are very flexible, and you'll see the relevant options after you select the command.
kikedeolivos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich, quick question,

How do I set the Pattern (RPPR) length?

Past gear

Youtube channel

RichF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pattern/RPPR page -> Pattern Edit tab -> drop-down menu -> "Pattern Parameter" command .
kikedeolivos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, let me go thorough the basic steps.

1) Create a NEW song.(did it already)

2) Setup different MIDI channels / instruments. (did it already)

3) Fo to Page select and chose # P10 (pattern / RPPR)

4) Once there, chose one of the tracks, say Marimba and decide on how to record that pattern/loop which will be independent from the song, If saved as a pattern named "Marimbas verse"

5) Once saved, press Get from track, chose Marimba pattern and then Put to track on say bar 58th.

Am I missing something?

Thanks again.

Past gear

Youtube channel

RichF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it! Enjoy. Smile
kikedeolivos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich: is there a way to UNDO the Recording on RPPR or just Erase Pattern?

Past gear

Youtube channel

RichF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The COMPARE button will let you undo one level of recording.
prkravi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the Help Rich!
kikedeolivos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichF wrote:
The COMPARE button will let you undo one level of recording.

Thank you.

Past gear

Youtube channel

pictobug

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these videos. Smile

If you're thinking of doing any more videos, I'd be REALLY grateful if you could do some on tweaking sound - tricks and tips or maybe even creating arpeggios.

That tutorial DVD I bought is awful, so thanks again for these updates.
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pictobug wrote:
Thanks for these videos. Smile

If you're thinking of doing any more videos, I'd be REALLY grateful if you could do some on tweaking sound - tricks and tips or maybe even creating arpeggios.

That tutorial DVD I bought is awful, so thanks again for these updates.

I second that. Sound editing (patch tweaking) and arpeggios is kind of black magic for me right now.

Thanks again for your help, Rich. As always top notch information.

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: