Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AutoMapping, problems with assigning buttons.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Virtual Soft Synths, and Plug’ins.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
futureline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: AutoMapping, problems with assigning buttons. Reply with quote

Hi.
First of all, thanks for a great forum, I've been away for a while due to loss of instruments and all of my equipment, and I have now aimed my interest towards virtual instruments, rather than Hardware instruments that I used (and loved) before.

In that area I'm a totally newbie, and feel like I have to learn everything from scratch.

I have bought myself some decent equipment (pc) and som cool softsynths and other programs, and also a controller,- Novation SL25 Compact to control the instruments and the mixer.

Well, I've been reading the manual and the resources of this product, and I have certain problems assigning buttons, not the pots, and as far as I can see, I just have to do it the same way as with the pots,- right?
What I do is this:
I turn on the automap control, and the latch-function, move the virtual control as is potentiometers, and the pot I want to correspond to it, and voilà, its ok.

But, when I turn on the buttons function on the keyboard, the info in the display shows the correct info of where I am in the menu, but with the same prosedure as above, I can't assign funcions from virtual buttons to hardware buttons. it just adapts the last assignment from any virtual pot.

I Have tried the adjustments of the parameters of the buttons, but must be doing something wrong, cause I just cant get it to work!
So, Am I doing something wrong her, or do I have to take it from another angle,?

I would very much appreciate if someone could lead me in the right direction, because I'm sure that it's something that I'm doing wrong here

Thanks for any help guys.

Soundconstruction going on...
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it sounds strange to me...
I don't have my ReMote SL25 anymore (missing it quite a bit, it's a great controller and the Automap function is great!), so I can't help that much.
I suggest you to contact Novation, as they're quick and kind answering all customer question.

Regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
futureline

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks Diego!

I'll send a request to Novation as well, and post it here if I find the solution (or if I have to return it).

futureline

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make one thing clear (I may actually be wrong about what is possible with the controller):
The buttons I want to assign are switch-type buttons, in other words NOT potentiometers TO buttons on the controller.

I took another good look at the premapped templates to the controller, and I was actually not able to find ANY switch-buttons assigned to the button-meny on the templates. (looked at moog modular and the Arp2600-template).

So, does that mean that you can only assign potentiometers to the buttons on the control?
That seems a bit awkward to me, and I find it quite hard to believe,- but if anyone knows this, please tell me. Thumbs Up

Thank you.

Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got you on that point, and I agree with you: Automap is such a great technology that it sounds so strange that you can't do this simple thing...
That's why I pointed you to the customer support, as they're skilled and kind.

Regards

MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
futureline

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I contacted support after your first answer, so now I'm just awaiting a response from them.

It wouldn't surprise me if I'm doing something slightly wrong,- well, atleast I hope that, rather than that there is something wrong with the hardware.

As an alternative, I thought of looking into downgrade the firmware on the controller, to a earlier version,- would that be an idea?

I posted the same ideas and questions to the Novation Support, so hopefulle we'll figure this out.

Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, downgrade the firmware version is NEVER a good idea...
BTW, I would wait their response.
In the meanwhile, just to give you any idea of what you're doing wrong (assuming you're doing something not in the correct way), why don't you look at some youtube videos about automapping, and see when they assign buttons if they do something special?
Maybe you can find the trick Wink

Regards!!

MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
futureline

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, Diego!
Normally I would use Youtube as a reference to solve different problems like that, but haven't done it much since I moved to Mexico a while ago, cause my ISP here doesn't even get close to the standards I'm used to from my country (Norway).

But, I'll check out if there is a way to do it other than streaming it (anyway it will take a lot of time for each video),- I guess my best option is to use the video downloader in Firefox, that has served me well earlier.

I know that you shouldn't normally downgrade firmware, but if it Nowation suggests it, I would surely try it.

I'll see if I can check out some other templates with fewer pots and more swithces, to see if there are any switch-buttons assigned to them.

Thanks again. Smile

Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

futureline wrote:
But, I'll check out if there is a way to do it other than streaming it (anyway it will take a lot of time for each video),- I guess my best option is to use the video downloader in Firefox, that has served me well earlier.

I also use Keepvid, but you must know that the video you're downloading is the one you want, because otherwise you should have spent lots of bandwidth for nothing.

futureline wrote:
I know that you shouldn't normally downgrade firmware, but if it Nowation suggests it, I would surely try it.

Yeah, I agree: if they tell you to do that, then let's do a firmware downgrade!

futureline wrote:
I'll see if I can check out some other templates with fewer pots and more swithces, to see if there are any switch-buttons assigned to them.

That's a very smart idea for sure: give a look to their scenes and templates, maybe using the template editor, too: it should help to understand how they're assigned.

Regards

MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
futureline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I have been in touch with the Novation-support, and we kind of figured it out:

It seems to be a plugin-issue, not every plugin supports the automapping to each and every button-control.
After more research, I could see that I could automap certain buttons, like some types of on/off-buttons, but not other types that had three or four levels on the same button,- but this was clearly related to the type of button, not the function of it.
This was very clear on the Arturia plugins I have, but on the Novation Basstation I could assign it normally.

And just to give another view at it: I could NOT assign buttons on the plugin, to pots on the controller,- there was no information released about the buttons I could not assign, when I hoovered the mouse over the button.

Well, that's it then, now I only have to figure out the automation-stuff...but I'm getting there.

Smile

Thanks for all the help.

Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, glad you figured out your problems.
I find Novation support to be very good, and if you have any kind of problem you can always rely on them!

Thanks for sharing this one with us, it chould be helpfull for the future.

Regards

MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Virtual Soft Synths, and Plug’ins. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: