Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 Organ Drawbars Tutorial - anyone interested
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you ever needed to know about the hammond organ harmonics:

http://www.electricdruid.net/index.php?page=info.hammond

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
a.schemkes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was interesting to read, also the article on the DCO of the juno's.
(I had one...)
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an M3 but i've been following this thread with interest (I do have a TR).

I've just been playing around with some organ plugins because i've been trying to make an organ plugin myself (complete with oscillator for every note, I've just finished connecting up all of the points in the key/osc matrix).

The consensus seems that the following are in fact correct for the nine drawbars on a hammond organ:
-12, +7, 0, +12, +19, +24, +28, +31, +36

of course, that second one always sounds odd when you are going through them one by one, but the first two are considered a group of non true harmonics or sub harmonics.

Its up to you which one you omit, in order to get it down to eight, or if you find another way to control them.

Of course, it still is quite heavy on polyphony and will never sound quite the same. I think more Workstations need a built in organ emulation like in the OASYS or in the form of an expansion board like the EXB-Radias.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the Slider for #9 (to the left of the touchscreen). That's how I did it.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Jakub Doe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very nice tutorial Smile I have only one problem: if i play with greater velocity or speed up arpeggios, i get some noises and cracks. After setting individual timbres volume quieter, sound is little bit better, but nevertheless crackly. Anybody can advice, what I can do about this?
Thanks!
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this today, with the various pitches but it gets very distorded
when grabbing chords, i dont know if it can be usefull or maybe i am
missing something...i will try again.
edessaios

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hace also the same problem.There are a lot of cracks in my sound.
EVPS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I have been away for a while, in response to the volume issues a workaround I use is the M3's per-Timbre EQ settings. This works better than altering the volume alone, if you thin-out the higher registers. Top and tail the frequencies of the middle registers and then high cut the lowest.

Its not ideal, if Korg could implement something closer to Kurzweils KB3 system in some sort of operating system update we could get it closer.
Soon to have a Kurzweil PC3x

Sound Design Heaven!
RichF

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I've experimented with a few Combis like the one described here, and I thought I could help those who have heard lots of unwanted distortion.

While making the simple sine wave Program that you'll use to populate the Combi, lower the amp level of the sine wave to about 65. This wil not only clean up all the distortion (even on a heavy, smearing gliss), it also leaves enough headroom to add a little of the "Drive" parameter (on the same page as the level parameter). This will help warm up the sound quite a bit.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's exactly what I did.

One thing to help speed up the combi making process is to use the GM SINE lead patch already created. I'm not in front of the M3 tonight and won't be home until tomorrow. But if you look under the leads category, I think it's G61(2). After I did set progs 1-9 as the identical GM SINE prog, I then set the intervals (I'll post the appropriate tuning transpose numbers tomorrow), I copied the IFX's and MFX's from an organ patch I liked as well as lowered the amp a little and it's distortion free.

It doesn't sound anywhere as close as VB3 but the more I work with it, the more little things I find improve it.

-Mc
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the combi is M50 compatible. Any chance of sharing it?

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. I'll be home in about 6 hours or so. I always create my patches on the M50 so they're ALWAYS compatible. Smile

-Mc
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some more thoughts:
it would be best to create some kind of organ drawbar multisample, which includes a bit of the leakage from adjacent tonewheels. then you could use that for your drawbar program sample, which would add in a bit of that chomatic noise to your sound. has a very nice effect.

also, in order to reduce the clipping occurring, and giving a good drive/'power drain effect' true to the real hammond sound, I find that adding a drive then compressor or limiter as the first effects tends to give it a really authentic sound. note that this is aside from per-voice drive which won't produce the kind of distortion cross-talk dissonance that you get from the per-voice drive.

e.g. you notice on a real electric organ, you lean on the keyboard, and the overall volume level isn't really much higher than when you press one key. hence the 'power drain' compression effect. makes it a very organic beast.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't had a chance to clear the bank and export the patch (wonder how tough it would be for us to swap individual patches via .syx).

ANYWAY...

To create your own drawbar, use the GM patch for simple SIN, set tracks 1 thru 9 to it and transpose the tunings to this:

-12 7 0 12 19 24 28 31 36

Use your mixer settings to adjust the levels of each track.

I have practice tomorrow night and 2 gigs this weekend then I'll have more time to spend on this patch. The more I play with it, the more I use it. I think with the right combination of settings, we'll have something decent to work with.

-Mc
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, will try it tomorrow night. Wink

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: