Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My M3 needs a new friend - but I can't decide

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVPS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: My M3 needs a new friend - but I can't decide Reply with quote

I know only I can decide this, but if anyone wants to offer any opinions on these options it would be great. I'm kinda interested in hearing about drawbacks/bugs/issues with the systems.

First is a Kurzweil PC3x (I have most experience with VAST via a 2600 rack and a 2500 keyboard so I sort of know what to expect)

Second is an Access Virus TI2 (I only know about this through reputation and the Keyboard Wizard Youtube videos, but I do like the look of the Virus Control software for advanced tweaking)

Finally and this one I am most unsure of is Arturia's Origin synth.

The reason I picked these three is that they all seem to offer a lot tweakability and deep sound design possibilities. I am wanting to create big moving soundscapes, pads and sequenced/arpeggiated patterns to layer with the M3. If anyone has any experience of any of these I'd really like to know about it.
Soon to have a Kurzweil PC3x

Sound Design Heaven!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you considered the Radias? The EXB is quite cool, but I have the Radias-R and it is fantastic for complex evolving sounds, pads, leads, etc. There is a lot of modulation and sequencing power in there, and the Rack version has several features that the EXB lacks (like a selection of PCM waveforms, drums, nine effects in total (two for each timbre plus one total effect.

It is a wonderful sound design tool, and as a benefit it says KORG on the back Smile

however, as part of Korg's latest product range, it does feature that hi-fi sound (which doesn't have to be the case, but it sounds like that straight off without more complex programming), and sometimes feels more like a scientific instrument than a synth.

But its synthesis structure goes way beyond basic VA synthesis though to include FM (well, PM), Physical Modeling, Waveshaping, PCM, etc... and can achieve combinations of these (e.g. FM or PCM > Waveshaping). it also creates nice electric keyboard sounds. the EPs are very good, organs are fairly good...

The virus sound is very well known and is probably the closest contender to the Radias, but with a much darker sound. still identifiably digital. but more like an analog synth and less like a scientific instrument. it isn't as deep as the radias either as far as its synthesis goes, covering mostly VA territory.

I personally find the Origin quite interesting, as a analog emulation digital modular, although the Nord Modular 2 Rack I think is more flexible. they are both in a class above the Radias and Virus because of their modular flexibility.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
EVPS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response I do have the Radias expansion in the M3 and really enjoy it and the tight integration within the M3. It is a great synthesis engine.

I think that the Virus is probably going to creep over into the same sort of territory, so it might be losing out on this horse race. I am also very intrigued by the Origin's modular design, and I am long time fan of Kurzweil's VAST, and now the even more modular Dynamic VAST of the PC3x is looking very cool.

All these products are annoyingly around the same price too in the UK. I suppose I should count myself lucky that with all this choice we do live in interesting times for sound design. I think I'd be amazingly happy with anyone of these instruments, if I could narrow it down to two and just pick at random I think that might be the best way!

Decisions, decisions! hey?

Sound Design Heaven!
cfurlin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVPS wrote:
Thanks for the quick response I do have the Radias expansion in the M3 and really enjoy it and the tight integration within the M3. It is a great synthesis engine.

I have the Radias expansion AND a Radias-R attached. It's nice to have both, especially if you like turning knobs, like me Wink
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the sampler in M3 already.

Go for the Kurzweil PC3. It can do stuff M3 can only dream of.
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My M3 needs a new friend - but I can't decide Reply with quote

EVPS wrote:
The reason I picked these three is that they all seem to offer a lot tweakability and deep sound design possibilities. I am wanting to create big moving soundscapes, pads and sequenced/arpeggiated patterns to layer with the M3.

I recommend adding the Blofeld to your list of possibilities. Amazing value-for-money, and one of the deepest synth engines out there. Opinions on the interface vary, it is true, but I find it very easy, and fun, to edit. For pads and soundscapes, it is stellar. And -- this is key -- it compliments the EDS sound engine perfectly. I have found it to be an ideal companion to the M50. Just a thought.

EDIT: oops. I now see that you have the Blofeld listed in your "soon to have" category. Good man!
EVPS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Blofeld is on its way (UK Postal strikes permitting it should be here next week!) It looks like a little monster, thank you everyone for the advice!

My plan is, and comment on this idea if you will, to have the PC3x as my main controller, with the blofeld resting on the far Right hand side of the PC3 - it seems there should be enough room for this. Then using some kind of DJ-style laptop stand place the M3m above the PC3 on the left so I have hands on control of all the synths. If my plans are correct the M3m should be high enough not to spoil access to the PC3x sliders. All running into an RME Fireface 400 then into Logic.

Sounds like my perfect setup, what do you think?

(I have spent so long planning this Setup it almost doesn't feel real that it might happen soon.)

Sound Design Heaven!
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVPS wrote:
Sounds like my perfect setup, what do you think?

(I have spent so long planning this Setup it almost doesn't feel real that it might happen soon.)

Sounds perfect to me too. I'd like to have PC3x+Blofeld Keyboard+OASYS myself Very Happy
EVPS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blofeld is here currently sitting atop my Axiom 61 keyboard - its got an awesome sound - looking forward to digging in and building sounds.

Well depending how my job interview goes tomorrow I may have a PC3x sooner rather than later. Fingers crossed!

Sound Design Heaven!
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
have you considered the Radias?

I ordered one myself... it's on the way!

Sounds Good
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: