Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re: Adjusting attack time of samples

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ix studio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting attack time of samples Reply with quote

hi , can anyone tell me how i make a pad sound or adjust the attack time in the microsampler ? i am guessing this sampler has an adsr ?
floccipocci

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.... Unfortunately there is only decay and release.

But I have an idea. I've not tried it out yet.

First it might only work effectively on a constant timbre sound... like string sounding pads

Then what you can do is to set a release time that is equal to the attack time that you need.

And then resample so that the release is included! After resampling, play the sample in reverse mode! (Use the reverse button) Now, the attack is the reverse of the release.

(Of course if you don't like the reverse mode to be on, because you need to do other things to the sample, then you can resample the reverse play mode sample to get a forward playing modesample.)

You notice that sounds like strings or vocal ooh's and aaah's sound the same when played in reverse, disregarding the ADSR. This principle preserves the sound of the pad.

However if the original sample already has a release at the end, adding in the release may not work.

BUT, what you can do is to truncate out that release, so that the sample envelope ends abruptly. Then you can apply your release.

A bit tedious, but maybe it does the trick.
ix studio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah this is one hell of a work around to get a feature on every other know sampler ever made.Kind of a huge shame and i really dont understand this , of all things to leave out ? does it have volumn i wonder ? an adsr is that basic a thing.....yeah i know if you just doing drum beats and basslines and sequences its mostly zero attack but really it rules out huge potential and makes it pointless for me.An adsr ? on the vca ? how complex is that to code ?

A bit tedious, but maybe it does the trick.[/quote]
jbl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

floccipocci wrote:
Hmm.... Unfortunately there is only decay and release.

But I have an idea. I've not tried it out yet.

First it might only work effectively on a constant timbre sound... like string sounding pads

Then what you can do is to set a release time that is equal to the attack time that you need.

And then resample so that the release is included! After resampling, play the sample in reverse mode! (Use the reverse button) Now, the attack is the reverse of the release.

(Of course if you don't like the reverse mode to be on, because you need to do other things to the sample, then you can resample the reverse play mode sample to get a forward playing modesample.)

You notice that sounds like strings or vocal ooh's and aaah's sound the same when played in reverse, disregarding the ADSR. This principle preserves the sound of the pad.

However if the original sample already has a release at the end, adding in the release may not work.

BUT, what you can do is to truncate out that release, so that the sample envelope ends abruptly. Then you can apply your release.

A bit tedious, but maybe it does the trick.

there are some nice ideas here. way to think inside the box. this machine really has so much potential waiting to be discovered. it7s cool that you took the time to give a well thought out answer to what seemed to be an honest question. since there aren't so many samplers in this price range with adsr, it's good to know that something might work for this one. peace
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: