Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KARMA vs TR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: KARMA vs TR Reply with quote

I'm seriously considering moving from my TR (that is, the Triton Le followup, 61 keys) to a KARMA, if I can get my hands on one.

I know what i'd be gaining:
5 vs 1 IFX
4 KARMA modules vs 2 triton ARPs
13 total ctrl knobs vs 4 knobs
is there anything else?

but what (if anything) would I be loosing out on?
I know the slots for two ROM expansions vs sampler and RAM
is there anything else?

I currently mainly use my TR as a master keyboard for my Radias-R and other modules, performing from sequencer mode with EXT. can I do this on the KARMA? and can I use KARMA modules on EXT tracks in combi/seq? I think KARMA would be more useful in a master keyboard situation than the triton arps, however fun they initially are.

I also use the TR for acoustic piano sounds and sometimes bass or drums or when I use up all four timbres on the RADIAS. synths and pads and all that usually come from the radias. can anyone tell me what I want to hear, which is that the KARMA would play nice with my Radias module? I'm not interested in the MOSS expansion because of the Radias rack.

Would KARMA allow me to perform more spontaneous performances and tweak like crazy? when I'm writing in particular, the singer I work with often wants some kind of sequence or arp, but can't really tell me exactly what he wants. I imagine it'd be useful there. Is it easy to reproduce like playing with KARMA on?
I know what KARMA is. The best way I can put it is somewhere between an arranger and an arpeggiator really, but I haven't really seen any videos besides Stephen Kay's OASYS performance (wonderful, admittedly) demonstrating what can actually be done with KARMA.

I also noticed that it has a floppy drive. I'm comfortable with this technology, but wondering if it is possible to replace with something else like a card reader?

anyway, I wouldn't be able to keep both, so I want to make sure it is the right thing. I imagine there is a 90% overlap, but the KARMA certainly seems more powerful with its effects (my main gripe with the TR), and the screen doesn't bother me. I actually prefer it.. (same as on the TR) rather more robust than a touch screen.
Just asking for comments and thoughts on the matter.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
bsr2002

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: KARMA vs TR Reply with quote

[quote="X-Trade"]
I also noticed that it has a floppy drive. I'm comfortable with this technology, but wondering if it is possible to replace with something else like a card reader?

[/quote]

There is a way to replace the floppy drive with compact flash! Here is the product : http://www.2av.com.ua/indexe.htm

Join the Karma- Labs forum and check out this thread :

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9039

This guy actually did it to his Karma and posted his step by step install! Smile

Live Rig: Roland Fantom X6, KORG TR61, Yamaha Motif ES6

http://www.facebook.com/bennyrillo
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade, if effects are your biggest gripe, wouldn't the Triton Extreme be the natural upgrade from your TR? The TREX keybed is great, the ValveForce is lots of fun too. The EXB-MOSS is kind of overpriced, but the MOSS has a lot more than merely VA synthesis and sounds a lot different than Radias with its filters, mod matrix, and physical models. This doesn't address the issue of Karma on board, but there is the Karma Triton software for both the TR and TREX.

http://www.karma-lab.com/kt/karma-triton.html

I've also seen the M3-M module going for about $1,200 used here in the States, and the M3-61 for about $1,300.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here the extreme goes for twice the value of the KARMA. I'm purely looking for a replacement-level product, cost wise.

I'm not fussed about the extra polyphony as I'm mainly using it as a controller for the radias and virus. And occasionally as a piano. I do like the idea of the extra samples for a better piano sound than the default triton piano, and the ValveForce would interest me, and would probably see me using it for organ sounds too (but that is fine just with more IFX like in the KARMA). But as far as being a controller, I might as well keep the TR because it has the same dual arps. I'd like something more spontaneous and something I can tweak with knobs. I'm assuming that KARMA would be the right thing for this? I also like the idea of being able to switch between scenes.

I know the M3 would be the best solution, but as mentioned above the price issue. I aspire to get one eventually. And like the Extreme I'm actually happy with the TR screen - don't really want a touchscreen etc.

So, does anyone think it would be a serious mistake to replace the TR with the KARMA for these purposes?

I also noticed somewhere in the manual, mention of Tone adjust. the TR doesn't have this, and would I be correct in saying none of the other tritons have this either? does the Extreme?

Am I also right in thinking that the KARMA is a similar chassis to the TR? So it would fit in my current hardcase. I know other tritons are considerably deeper/wider. How about the keybed?

Don't get me wrong - I know what the KARMA is and appreciate it, unlike many of its users who I feel seem to have neglected the KARMA functionality, mainly using it as a cheap triton, more like the market the LE and TR were aimed at. But also unlike any other purchase i've made, there just isn't the opportunity to try it and check that it would all make sense. I've skimmed the manual, I can see the interface is similar to the TR. But red... Rolling Eyes

I guess I'm after opinions more than anything. Does anyone think it is a bad idea? or an excellent idea?
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
bsr2002

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could help you decide, but I have and use them both! Very Happy

Live Rig: Roland Fantom X6, KORG TR61, Yamaha Motif ES6

http://www.facebook.com/bennyrillo
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsr2002 wrote:
I wish I could help you decide, but I have and use them both! Very Happy

Well, if you have both, then you are in the perfect position to help. I'm not asking as much which to go for, as a weighting up of what I might loose/miss/gain.
could you tell me:
- about the keybed. Is it the same keybed? or is it different? how is the aftertouch?

- is it a similar chassis/shape/size? I'm hoping it will fit in my flight case, otherwise i'll sell that with the TR

- Are there any serious differences in operation of the screen/interface?

- Are there any differences in output quality?

Thanks,
These things are relatively important to me because obviously I can't try one out in a shop before I buy one. I think i've found one to buy now too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Karma All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: