Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DS-10 PLUS from Japan RUNS FINE ON DSlite but not on US DSi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG - Nintendo DS/3DS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: DS-10 PLUS from Japan RUNS FINE ON DSlite but not on US DSi Reply with quote

New Up date to this ever growing thread. Sometime ago i was excited to see a few youtube videos that showed the DS-10+ working on the DSlite. I had forgotten at the time the issue was just about the dual mode feature not the whole cart. Anyhow I had sent out a couple e-mails and such asking the reviewers to talk about dual mode on their you tube channels. One user I found, VJFranzK, posted in his comments that dual mode does not work on the US version of DSlite but there is also another issue:

If you have gotten yours thru e-bay or some foreign source (in VJFranzK's case, a Japan collectible store in downtown LA) you will find that it will NOT WORK on your newly acquired in the USA DSi (something about regional coding)

So if anything those of us here in America who want everything to work are really going to have to wait for the US release!

Here's VJFranzK's video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBenbs0Beso&feature=channel

Comments by VJFranzK

"Unless you are a KORG fanatic like myself, you might want to wait for the western release of DS10+ because the Japanese one DOESN'T WORK in an American DSi - I tried it! (It's new "region coding" like on the larger systems. yuck. )

It DOES work in an American DS Lite, which is what I'm doing here. But you don't get the "double voices" advantage out of it (only the "song" improvements)"

Edited 11-18-09
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music

Last edited by SMK on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, you misrepresented what was said here previously. Nobody said the DS-10 plus wouldn't run at all on the DS lite, so that you would have to upgrade to the DSi to use it. Second, to say that it runs on the DS lite "with all of the functions working perfectly fine" is inaccurate.

The issue is the most important new feature of the DS-10 plus: dual mode, in which you get twice as many tracks. That requires the DSi. None of the videos you linked shows the DS lite running dual mode.

Nobody's trying to force you to upgrade your DS lite. You'll just miss out on good bass performance and dual mode, which will leave you half the tracks that you would get if you ran DS-10 plus on DSi. It's the higher CPU performance of the DSi that allows dual mode.

I was able to exchange my DS lite (which was only several months old) for the DSi for $70. It was the best $70 I spent for the DS-10. I use my DSi nearly entirely for the DS-10 software, and I've spend hundreds of hours on it. In fact, if I still had the DS-lite, I think spending $70 to upgrade to the DSi is better than upgrading from the DS-10 to DS-10plus. I liked my DS lite too, but I upgraded as soon as I could because the audio has improved significantly on the DSi. Getting double the CPU performance was just a side benefit - until I get the DS-10+ software - then I'll get double the tracks because I upgraded.

This is what you get with the DS-10+ on the DSi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM8y0rk1d88&feature=related

I also think you should rename this thread because it is wrong and misleading, even though I don't think you intended it to be that way. Let's call it wishful thinking, right? Smile
dayuri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. What you say makes the upgrade to a DSi quite attractive xml. I guess the biggest question for a lite user like me is wether to trade in or simply buy a whole new DSi altogether.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had the same decision to make. It took me about 5 minutes to decide to upgrade once I found the $70 upgrade deal. But I didn't have any of the older GameBoy Advance stuff, which could be a good reason to keep the DS lite. The cameras on the DSi are pretty cool, and I do like the slightly larger screens, and it is noticeably faster to go through the menus. The DS lite is still a very nice for portable gaming and I'm sure that there's plenty of people who would be thrilled to get a second hand one to run all the cool games and productivity apps for it.
FranzK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: DS-10 PLUS from Japan RUNS FINE ON DSlite but not on US Reply with quote

Hey guys! It's me... I started checking this forum again after a long absence.

So, yes - wait for the (now slightly late!) release of the American
one as I say below. Wink

It should be in the mail for me any day now? hmmm...

SMK wrote:

Comments by VJFranzK

"Unless you are a KORG fanatic like myself, you might want to wait for the western release of DS10+ because the Japanese one DOESN'T WORK in an American DSi - I tried it! (It's new "region coding" like on the larger systems. yuck. )

It DOES work in an American DS Lite, which is what I'm doing here. But you don't get the "double voices" advantage out of it (only the "song" improvements)"

Edited 11-18-09

KORGLECTION: FIVE Classic ELECTRIBES, FIVE KAOSS!
3 Volca, iPads, Three DS10, Monotron, Classic O1W/FD

See my videos! KORG and other Synths and Apps,
VJing, Animation, Games etc.
www.youtube.com/vjfranzk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG - Nintendo DS/3DS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: