Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FYI: Trojan virus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreamaiden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: FYI: Trojan virus Reply with quote

This small article came to me via ASCAP. I had no idea about the information in the paragraph below.

http://www.timesobserver.com/page/content.detail/id/529122.html?nav=5006

"It's being spread through social sites like Facebook, Youtube and Myspace," Lewis said. "People are downloading music through sites like Limewire and the files are infected. And then they are loading them onto their Myspace or Facebook pages. Those sites are offering no protection, so we're seeing second generation infection. If you visit them, you visit them at your own risk."
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand that about infection through MySpace or Facebook in particular.

As far as I am aware, there is no facility to upload tracks to Facebook, and on Myspace it can only be done as a Band page. Sometimes people create a band page and illegally upload their favourite track just so they can have it on their profile page, but then I don't think you can get infected by a streaming player anyway. So note this only applies possibly to people illegally uploading tracks of other artists that they don't own in the first place. Legitimate use of the site should be okay.

Also, this quote about 'anything that is free, is free for a reason'. I have to disagree, partly. Yes a lot of things are free and are rubbish, but some things are really good finds. AVG for example is a great antivirus, the personal edition is free, and to be honest the full version like any other 'internet security package' is too much stuff that you don't really need, and will just slow your system down.

Similarly, if I actually get an infection, I would use malwarebytes and superantispyware to remove it. both of these are available for free and will find one or two things that AVG doesn't, but they don't run daily scans (hence why I use them only for actually fixing things or if I'm suspicious).
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
iD4rK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things are "free", because you accept trading conditions, you can use this app, and we can check what websites you visit regularly. Or, they have banners. Remeber Kazaa?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazaa
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iD4rK wrote:
Some things are "free", because you accept trading conditions, you can use this app, and we can check what websites you visit regularly. Or, they have banners. Remeber Kazaa?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazaa

True.

I guess it really takes a bit of common sense and research to know what you're downloading, but the same goes for paid stuff. I'm sure a number of people will be familiar with the 'fake antivirus suites', that install themselves or you see adverts for and pay for, that tell you have viruses when you don't, slow down your computer, introduce adware, etc.
They are called 'rogue' adware and spyware suites in the business. Like Spyware Cleaner, Alpha Antivirus, Antivirus XP, Vista Antispyware, WinPC, etc.

Realistically, it only takes a bit of awareness to say "hey, this looks like a virus checker, but it is running in an internet explorer window", but many people aren't that aware of what they are doing online or what they are downloading.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Wings
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno much about spreading viruses or likes, but I do practicea certain sensorship when accepting or downloading files.
However to the remark about Facebook and uploading music; sure you can. At least I have.
Check out my sign. (not for promoting, only for info on this topic)

My new rock-band
My new duo's homepage - mostly in norwegian, but give it a go
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ak5000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT The free softwares or songs are the main culprit i have experienced on my PC that downloading free softwares often damage PC's or system. Wink
YAMAHA MOTIF XS
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, it really depends what you download. It takes a bit of common sense. If you don't feel sure about something, don't download it.

However the software I mentioned above (AVG, SuperAntiSpyware, anti malwarebytes) are all good software that are used by many people, at home and Pros alike. And represents the equlivient of a good buy - for free.
It is good value for money, a bit like KORG Smile
AVG in particular is just as good as Norton or Mcaffe but in many cases is just a lot less hassle to use, and doesn't use up as many system resources. Very important to us musicians using DAW software etc. Norton is particularly notorious for using up a lot of system resources.
Take this from someone who actually works in computing.

Of course, some people just don't feel comfortable not spending money on something. In some cases they do miss out.

The other problem with computing is that it is almost the only industry where even the 'Average Joe' can claim to be an expert... And sometimes they are right! But I often find it annoying where people refuse to even acknowledge your advice and would rather base their decisions on someone else's half-educated guesses.
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
It is good value for money, a bit like KORG Smile

I tried to calculate their value per money but I got a divide by zero error :-/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: