Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PC SCSI card comptibility

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tritonthe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: PC SCSI card comptibility Reply with quote

Hi,
Which scsi card can I put in my pc to work with the Triton Rack with scsi option?
I have an adaptec card in my pc. I have a scsi drive connected to it.
I have the korg connected to the scsi card.
when I switch on the Korg it crashes.
Is there some setting in the Korg I need?
regards
TritontheRack
hacksaw15

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can use the scsi option connected to a PC. It can only be used in disk mode on the Triton Rack. Meaning connecting a external scsi device such as a hard drive or zip drive.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCSI is a drive interface like SATA, IDE (PATA), etc, for allowing a computer/host device (e.g. your PC, or your KORG Synthesizer) to read and write to a drive like a zip drive, hard disk drive, or CD drive.

it isn't for connecting two devices/computers together.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
tacman7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an emu 6400 sampler for a while and played with the scsi stuff.

The problem was both the computer and the emu were the same device number...may be? 8?

I could hook up the zip drive and put files on it from the computer then hook up the emu and load them, it was cool but just not up to modern standards as far as sample size etc.
tritonthe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Peavey and Akai lets you do this Reply with quote

OK,
thats a bummer.
I was able to connect my Peavey SP sampler straight to a pc scsi bus.
You can also do this with AKAI samplers.
xpander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can connect different SCSI devices, hard drives, disk drives...basically anything SCSI together, as long as you follow few basic rules.

Each SCSI device has to have their own ID number. The number of available IDs is limited. Usually theres a way to change this ID setting either manually (dial setting, jumpers) or internally via operating system. Devices like Iomega Zip drives have a two position switch on the back (for two possible ID numbers), some SCSI drive bays have a number dial for different ID numbers, my Plextor CD-RW drive has jumpers etc.

There are different SCSI bus types, but with our regular music gear the differing bus speeds etc. are usually of no concern, as long as you have appropriate connectors (cables) to chain you gear together.
http://www.ramelectronics.net/scsi_connectors.ep

The lenght of SCSI chain is limited, so all of the devices have to be within few metres of each other, at most. Both ends of this (daisy) chain have to be terminated. Termination is like a stop sign, theres no devices further. Likewise, no termination on devices in the middle of the chain, otherwise the chain stops right there.

All physical (cable) connections and ID settings must be made when the devices in the chain are powered OFF. Ie. no hot swapping unless you have right kind of switcher to do that. Once all the connections are done, you can power em up. You can change the media inside the devices while they're on, but have to refresh (update) the drive listings after the change.

If you share for example a SCSI hard disk with several devices, they all must understand the formatting of said disk, otherwise they simply won't "see" it. Same applies for computers.

More of the same, TweakHeadzs Surviving SCSI hell.
http://www.tweakheadz.com/surviving_scsi_hell.html
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I didn't actually know that. So you can have two hosts (i.e. a keyboard and a PC) accessing the same drives?

still, I believe the OP expected the SCSI connection to make some kind of direct connection between the PC and the Synth, which isn't going to do anything, because the PC's drive isn't on that SCSI bus you've created outside of the PC.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
xpander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Yeah. I didn't actually know that. So you can have two hosts (i.e. a keyboard and a PC) accessing the same drives?

Maybe, maybe not, it depends. I know of systems where even dozens of hosts shared the same SCSI bus (look for example old setups of Hans Zimmer), but they also used SCSI routers (switchers) to make it work smoothly.

One sampler and one computer "sharing" drives, for sure...that was kinda basic stuff....although you might have to battle with the settings for a while. Problem was usually not the hardware device but the darn computer OS trying to mess things up...go figure. Wink

X-Trade wrote:
still, I believe the OP expected the SCSI connection to make some kind of direct connection between the PC and the Synth, which isn't going to do anything, because the PC's drive isn't on that SCSI bus you've created outside of the PC.

This depends on what you want to do. Surely your synth ain't going to access computer hd if it ain't also on SCSI bus...and even if it were, computers themselves won't agree to this arrangement. Some have succeeded in using their computer SCSI cd-drives from synths/samplers, although lockups tend to be common as far as i know.

But theres traffic both ways, by using SCSI Sample Dump (SMDI) one can transfer their (edited) samples from the computer to the synth/sampler. I liked Sound Forge for this feature. Have to admit that I have no idea if Triton Rack supports SMDI though, never used it much for sampling stuff.
scsiforsamplers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the only way that you will be able to accomplish anything after hooking your Triton and PC together is if you use a program on your PC like SoundForge or some other program that supports SMDI. That is what you will use to ship a sample into the Triton memory for further editing and playing.

But keep this in mind - SMDI is NOT a substitue for local SCSI storage. Once you ship these samples into the Triton memory, you will need a way to save the program that you create around the samples so that you don't have to go through that entire procedure every time you want to use those sounds. You'll need local storage like our CF-CARD SCSI Card Reader drive or our CF-SSD Sold-State Drive unit.

Contact us directly if you need more information about SMDI options and local SCSI storage options. We'll be glad to help. And remember that now through June 7th, we are offering a 10% discount for anyone who mentions their Korg Forums username when they place their order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Rack All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: