Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

switch time between programs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
P5music

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: switch time between programs Reply with quote

Hi
I would like to know how long does it take to switch between two programs when it is programmed in a track or pattern so to have immediate switch of sound in the same track. Is it possible?
thanks in advance
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.
Switching programs in this manner is instantaneous because under sequencer mode your not switching effects also.

The effects assigned to the track remain. It's only the program that changes and so there is no delay at all.

Kind Regards
Sharp.
P5music

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much.
This is very good if it means that I could change so called articulations for some particular instruments, provided I have programmed and prepared the suitable programs before, right?
But it has to be nearly instantaneous.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's something that can be used to create very imaginative patterns too.

KORG used to sell a disk for the Trinity called Wavesequence which made heavy usage of this quick program change function. They would sequence large numbers of program changes in the space of a few seconds. Each note had a different sound at times. Quite a interesting effect.

Regards
Sharp.
P5music

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
I fear you are referring to program changes that do not involve new sample-set loading,
or really this program changes are quick whatever program is chosen?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

No, it makes no difference. So long as the sample data is loaded to memory in the first place, then there is no additional delay in calling up those sounds. They will be as quickly accessible as the factory sounds.

Regards
Sharp.
snowbrow

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

KORG used to sell a disk for the Trinity called Wavesequence which made heavy usage of this quick program change function. They would sequence large numbers of program changes in the space of a few seconds. Each note had a different sound at times. Quite a interesting effect.

Now that would sound freaky on the M3. I've barely scratched the surface of Karma - I wonder if it incorporates anything like that.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowbrow wrote:
Sharp wrote:

Now that would sound freaky on the M3. I've barely scratched the surface of Karma - I wonder if it incorporates anything like that.

From KORG's marketing material (on Korg UK's M3 page):
Quote:
Finally, the second generation KARMA provides a signature sonic effect called KARMA Wave-Sequencing that can change a sound’s waveforms rhythmically in realtime, along with everything else KARMA is doing, allowing each note to access a different waveform as it is generated. The results can resemble traditional wave-sequencing, or enter completely new realms of sound design.

It's not quite the same as changing program dynamically, but it changes multisample on the fly - something that wasn't possible on the earlier workstations.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowbrow wrote:
Sharp wrote:

Not that Would but it Does! Very Happy
KARMA does its own WaveSequencing, you have presets and also if you get
KM3 you can do your own GEs where ProgramChanges (in this case Oscilator)
happen 16 Times in one Bar or whatever...and yes, it does sound Freaky.
This is where it happens:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
snowbrow

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers guys, you're the biz Wink

Quote:

It's not quite the same as changing program dynamically, but it changes multisample on the fly

It wouldn't be I guess, X-Trade, as you say, as you'd be without the EG ADSRs as set up in the programs respective to whatever multisample in use, but hey, this is still great - I guess I could compensate for the above, if I wanted, using Karma's own parameters.

Nice screenshot BasariStudios, thanks for that, much appreciated - I'll certainly have a poke around the Karma parameters now, and maybe get into some serious digging as opposed to just scratching Smile
P5music

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me,
I would like to understand whether this 0-latency program change feature is just a 0-latency sample switching feature or also all sound parameters change instantly, like envelopes, filters, etc (effect?). this is about my original question.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P5music wrote:
Excuse me,
I would like to understand whether this 0-latency program change feature is just a 0-latency sample switching feature or also all sound parameters change instantly, like envelopes, filters, etc (effect?). this is about my original question.

it is changing a program, which yes includes envelopes, filters, amp, pitch, modulation and related settings. It does not include effects, which are the only thing which stops the M3 from being able to change programs quickly in program or combi mode. Effects have to be loaded into the appropriate DSP resources and routed, parameters sent to them, etc, which takes a second but means the sound has to be cut.

When working in a blank combi or sequence you are only selecting programs as you have to set up the effects appropriately for that combi or sequence, so from a blank combi or sequence there are no effects whatsoever, so you can change instantaneously. Even setting up effects, you can still change but you will be using the same effects setup for your next sound too.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
P5music

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So
in combi mode, provided effects are not changed, I have the same no-latency program change.
Now, I would like to know if this is possible also while last note is playing so the new settings are intended for the next note the track will play.
thanks
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use the Scene buttons in Karma to do exactly what it sounds like you want to do. Change programs/combis while holding down or sustaining the previous pro/combi without cutoff of sounds. Go to Stephen Kay's site and read the wiki article on this function. I use this live all the time.
P5music

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, if this is possible I think it is not related to karma more than to the M3 itself, so this should be a M3's normal feature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: