Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KORG PS-60

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grapite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: KORG PS-60 Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this board is using General Midi samples for the sounds? and if these sounds or samples are replaceable through the editor? the info on this board seems limited to some specs, and no real demos from the company except for some on youtube.
Regards
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it has the same sound engine at least as the new microStation - so it might be worth looking at the demos of that too. I know there were some audio demos of one or the other on the KORG.com site.

As for the sounds, I think you're a bit confused. The samples themselves are not 'general MIDI'. There is no such thing as 'general MIDI samples'.

Samples are the actual recordings of instruments and sounds, which are spread across the keyboard to make multisamples. These 'multisamples' can be used as the base sound for a [/i]program[/i] or sometimes called a 'patch' (for historical reasons). So you go to program mode, and select program number 60 for example, which might be a trumpet, or a slap bass. or a synth sound that uses two different multisamples.
This is how it has worked in all previous KORG workstations at least. AFAIK the PS60 is as yet unreleased, however going by KORG's history the basic workings of it will be very similar to what is already out.

Most previous KORG workstations have featured a 'GM bank' of the standard 128 GM programs.

A synth that only had the samples needed for GM programs would actually be pretty limited. There will be more interesting and expressive factory programs that use more exciting samples too, generally.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the specs or anything else I've seen on the PS60 indicate that it has General Midi mapping, while the Microstation clearl lists this in the specs. So I wouldn't count on it. This is something very likely to be stripped out of a keyboard targeted to live performance.
Grapite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping it wasn't going to be one of the GM sample sets like Roland or Creative makes, I'm always a little suspicious of instruments that pot out without a manual or demos from the company on line, but it seems like it might be a nice light board to jam with.
Regards
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It uses KORG's own EDSi which is stripped down from the M3 and M50. I believe the major difference is the ROM content. Generally there is more to the sound set than just playing back raw samples. It is a synthesizer and so should be programmable. There wouldn't be much to program if it only played back the samples without any filtering or effects.

I think the lack of manuals and demos is because it hasn't been commercially released yet?
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a screenshot of the editor on the Korg UK site. It does show an OSC tab but not the page. What's shown looks to be cut down from a full synth, but it's hard to know with such limited info at this point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: