Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AX3000G suitability questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Guitar Effects and Tuners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: AX3000G suitability questions Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting an AX3000G. I'm on a bit of a budget and can't stretch to the B which is almost/over £80 more.

I used to have a Boss GT6B and sold it in part exchange for my Radias-R. I really miss it. Anyway the GT6 (2nd hand) and the B go for about the same price as the Korg 3000 series are still new now.

So I guess my main questions are:
How does the AX3000G stand up against the GT6?
Likewise, how does the AX3000B stand up against the GT6B?

And, I play guitar as well as bass. In fact I tend to play more Bass. How well do you think the AX3000G plays with bass? I remember the GT6B was great with guitar, but I'm not sure how well it would work the other way around.
I play a Steinberger Spirit bass guitar which does have a very guitar-like tone (but deeper). Particularly I can play power chords above the 12th fret on the top strings and it sounds almost the same as if I were to play it on some guitars with heavy gauge strings.

How is the compressor on the AX3000G/B, and where does it come in the signal chain? If I use it, will I be unable to use something else like octave/pitch shift, drive, speaker cab, etc?
Does the G have a rotary effect?
How do you think the drives and cabs and distortion effects sound?

Also, can the effects be synchronised to external MIDI clock?

If someone can answer even some of these questions it would greatly help.
Thanks
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
longi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well most of your questions I can't answer but,
1. The compresser seems to be pretty good, but I don't have anything else to compare it against. I'm also not too sure where it comes into the signal chain.
2. You can use the pitch shifter and octave divider at the same time but not the compresser and octave divider at teh same time.
3. Yes the AX3000G has a rotary effect on it.
4. I'm not sure it's suitable for bass, but then I haven't tried it. (Too much gain and the voicing I think will be wrong, although I might be wrong.
5. Most of the amp models sound pretty good, even after 5 years of service in my longterm setup. Althoug the Plexi model is the weakest. The shred distortion is by far my favorite and probably the most versatile on the unit, it really is very good, not just for shred. It's very articulate.
6. Can it be synchronised to an external clock? By that do you mean to control other units? The yes it can.

longi.
SMK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a bass player I would recommend getting the AX3000B. One of the cool features is it has a great synth for the bass. The G could work but you are losing anything that would help with your low end.

As far as comparative quality to the Boss, the first thing you will notice is that the AX3000 has a far cleaner sound.

The one thing that you will be buying into when getting one of these is an effects board which is designed to help you sculpt new and unique sounds. The ESS function is pretty key to helping you achieve this. The ESS is an unusual feature that allows you to step sequence effect perimeters. Most people who got an AX3000 didn't really put this to good use because most players were more interested in trying to imitate their favorite musicians rather than make their own unique mark. If being the next "Slash" is your goal, if you are looking to play more bar rooms by playing the blues then the AX3000 is not a good choice. You'd do better with a boss instead of being stuck with a box that does more weird s**t that you'll never use.

Just keep in mind when thinking of getting one of these. It's rare, it's discontinued and really it is for those who want to make a new and unique sound.
Korg DS-10
Korg PadKontrol
Korg K25
Korg Monotron
Korg Electribe 2
Korg Electribe Sampler 2
Roland GK-3A
Roland GI-20
Fishman Triple Play
BC Rich Guitar

My Music
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am very much into making my own unique sounds. But I'm also not much of a guitar player - I want to get more into guitar.
Bass on the other hand was my first instrument. So conversely, does anyone have anything on how well the AX3000B works with guitar?
I will have to see what the budget looks like on my birthday (next Friday). I'm pretty sure this is the last time my parents will be buying me anything so I'll see what can be squeezed in! Rolling Eyes

I'm also worried with the B that I'd compare it to my old GT6B too much, which IMHO was fantastic, but can't find them anywhere any more!
I will have to try one out on the day....

You mentioned you can't use the compressor and octaver at the same time? I don't like limitations like this, is there anything else limiting like that, which you often run into? It seems kind of contradictory - wanting to make weird, unique, experimental sounds, but not being able to chain certain combinations.
I'm also assuming the signal path is fixed, unlike the GT6?

How does the bass or guitar synth track to the guitar then? I was always put off the synth sounds on other pedals because they had too many artifacts.

Thanks for all your answers, I'm starting to get a clearer idea.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
longi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no artifacts that i've noticed. You also can't stack an overdrive model on top of an amp model which was a bit of a missed opportunity, but hey ho maybe on the next version if there is one. I dont' thnk the signal path is too fixed as some of the effect can be made to be pre or post. You can conjour up some very strange sounds though. I think you'll need to try one out or pick up one on the the cheap on Ebay, that way you won't lose any money on it if you don't like it.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the AX3000B Very Happy Wonderful beast, and the synth sounds are incredible!
Pitch tracking doesn't like my Steinberger Spirit though, may need new strings...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Guitar Effects and Tuners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: