Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux vs Windows CE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Computer Programmers – Software Developers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Linux vs Windows CE Reply with quote

I would like to know if anyone has any experience in using both Windows CE and Linux for use as an embedded real time system. What are the pros and cons of each?

I'm looking to create a small device with a touch screen interface that can be attached to a synth via USB. Other hardware specs would be an ARM processor with 512 mb ram and 32GB storage.

The device would be sending and receiving midi data in real time. It will have to operate standalone attached only to the synh or as a bridge attached to both a synth and a standard PC.

So without boring everyone with details ... what is a better platform for embedded systems development?
andersborg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without going into too much detail, go for Linux. It's free (as you know) and there are different builds optimized for embedded use, e.g. http://www.uclinux.org/.

Even better, go for Android, that uses Linux at its core, but adds a good device UI for LCD etc.

In comparison, I made a MIDI controller based on a Miduino board with no real OS at all, just the basic Arduino library. No UI to speak of though.

Step 1 (not so ready): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JQhomdCCZ0
Step 2 (readier): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZzfY20mxS0
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the info. Looks like you've done a lot of great work. I had not even considered Android before but I will definately look into it.

I've been playing a bit with CE now and the UI style is like Windows 95 or worse. The Android UI will be a big plus in this area.

I found that I can run .NET with C# on CE and thats a big plus for me. If they supported WPF and Silverlight then CE might be OK but I have found it lacking so far.
andersborg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One guy I know ported Android to a typical ARM developer board in a day, so it can certainly be done. Mileage may vary though.

You can develop your application on the C/C++ level (Native) or in Java on Dalvik. In the first case you directly call Skia for the UI. Either way you can do pretty much the same things, yet the first is more flexible.

If you used Windows CE, how would you obtain a license? Is there an open source version of Windows CE?
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a development board from a company named Digi. Its a small 155MHz ARM processor with USB, wired network, wireless network, serial, standard VGA and touch screen ports. It came with a single CE license as well as a 180 day trial of Visual Studio.

Without purchasing a development board you can download a 120 day eval copy from Microsoft for free and the runtime licensce cost per unit is $90 but I'm sure there is some volume discount available. There is no open source version of CE that I know of.
jonssmith12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specifically, what is the difference in deployment costs (end user license). - Specifically Montevista version of Linux.

Ease of development - Win CE offers Platform builder. What about embedded Linux ?

Language of choice. How easy/difficult is C++ for Linux? Is c++ code developed on Win CE portable to embedded Linux?
John_S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try OK6410 at http://www.arm9board.net, Linux, WinCE, Android, uCos-II... all ready-to-go, $139 only when bundled with a 4.3" LCD!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Computer Programmers – Software Developers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: