Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

O/S Comments

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: O/S Comments Reply with quote

Small beer I know - but I've posted a comment on here regarding the free samples.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2010/11/09/another-microsampler-bonus-pack/

Maybe other people would like to leave their respectful opinions on this 'bonus' gift - sure elements of the Electribe will be useful for some people but priority wise - functionality improvements would be the better reward for our loyalty.
Griffin Avid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term Loyalty is a rough one to add to the equation. I see some posters on this forum with all kinds of KORG gear in their sigs. An update would be great, but I don't know if anyone thinks "Wow, we have people that really, really love KORG gear. Let's make an update to thank them".'

I think the bonus sounds IS the thank you and a measure of support. Most want features added that were never advertised. Overall I just don't think KORG works this way. You're more likely to see a microSAMPLER PRO with two or three [realistically; one or two] added features down the line.

Anyone who bought the microSAMPLER will trade in/sell the old version and get the newest and people who were on the fence will buy the first release for a much reduced price and be happy.

Let's see...
KORG Legacy: breakthough combination of software emulation and scaled controller. No follow up.

eLEctribes: Beloved groovebox line. used to be three or four different ones, reduced to two flavors and now on hiatus. Last update seals the deal that you won't be seeing a new box anytime soon.

OASYS: Flagship. Uber board. Slated as the future with tons of support and coming aspects. None to arrive.

KORG M3: Besides adding some samples, there's been no real expansion. The "Korg Komponent" modular concept doesn't really exist with only the single Radias card in existence and even then, it's still hard to get a straight answer to what it actually does. And the fact that only the 76 fits the Radias synth and the only connector is a standard MIDI...

So with that history, I just don't see KORG putting any more energy into the microSAMPLER. I don't know if they even consider it to have any bugs to fix. Any added functionality is a dream.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be aware of their current silent policy doesn't mean it isn't worth commenting on it & pressing for change.

I guess I'm slow in appreciating the free samples as I always make my own & have yet to load any third party banks. It also would not have hurt them to say one way or the other if any o/s update was planned.

Samples are cheaper to make & more attractive than a s/w update - as they can be bundled with the MS for new purchasers. Economic sense commercially - but there is a balance to achieve here. If a KORG product has a strong USP I'll consider buying it, but certainly I don't get a warm feeling when I think about the brand. Launch it & forget about it seems to be the watchword.

I get what is being said regarding minor products - fact is though there is no MSPro as of yet, and the MS isn't exactly cheap to purchase.

Support is a bigger issue with flagship purchases sure - with OASYS - people feel let down and accuse KORG of having reneged on their open architecture support, of course others are happy with what they have - it will ever be thus.

We should all make the best of what we have & appreciate it, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't express opinions regarding its design, development and any necessary revisions, and how we feel we should be treated as a consumer.

I will be wary of buying the next KORG product because I will suspect that any s/w fixes will not happen so I will have to live with them. It's a basic lack of respect for following through that gets me irritable.

Last edited by lloydsmith on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin Avid wrote:

OASYS: Flagship. Uber board. Slated as the future with tons of support and coming aspects. None to arrive.

Actually there were a number of additions to that before they stopped supporting it. Admittedly support didn't go on as long as people would have liked, but they did get numerous upgrades. Besides changes to the OS itself, users also got:
- MS20 and PolySix legacy instruments
- MOD7 phase modulation/FM instrument with ability to import DX7 patch files
- Free STR1 physically modelled string instrument.

Quote:
KORG M3: Besides adding some samples, there's been no real expansion. The "Korg Komponent" modular concept doesn't really exist with only the single Radias card in existence and even then, it's still hard to get a straight answer to what it actually does. And the fact that only the 76 fits the Radias synth and the only connector is a standard MIDI...

Again, you are mistaken (about approximately 2 things).
First of all, the Xpanded update was not about the additional USB sample sets at all. They were originally going to be paid extras but Korg decided to 'bundle' them with the Xpanded update as a gift. The actual Xpanded update did reorganise the factory ROM with some new samples, as well as adding new features. None of these were in the original specification.
Secondly, There are two 'radias' one is an expansion card that adds what I would call 'pure synthesis' into the M3. As in virtual analog, waveshaping, wavetable, a bit of phase modulation, etc. It is basically a Radias which can go inside and completely integrate with the M3. That can go in any M3.
Then there is the actual Radias synth and its rack unit. This is a part of the Komponent system and can be placed alongside the M3 module on the 76 and 88 key models. However it doesn't integrate at all, really. Its just a nice place to put your Radias. I think possibly you can put the Radias module on the keybed without an M3. The full Radias rack is more powerful in a number of ways than the EXB card which I won't go into here..

The standalone Radias actually received a 2.0 update which again added a handful of features not originally in the specification. I think the main change was a lot more modulation destinations (envelope parameters, modulation intensities themselves)

Quote:
So with that history, I just don't see KORG putting any more energy into the microSAMPLER. I don't know if they even consider it to have any bugs to fix. Any added functionality is a dream.

I do however agree that the microSampler is a minor product for Korg. The micro range in general has never received any updates as it is an entry level product. but where Korg products have received a major update, historically they have always been a '2.0' update adding new features. Of course there are bugfixes from time to time.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Griffin Avid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. I purchased the M3 Expanded and never considered anything before that in my consideration of the M3. My mistake.
You make very good points.

- MS20 and PolySix legacy instruments

Funny you should mention that since it upset me in the reverse. I picked up the analog version; with scaled MS20 controller, and was quite happy. I was honestly hoping that the controller would act as some kind of dongle and the Legacy Collection wouldn't get pirated into Software-everyone-has-so-why-bother hell. Instead:

A. They gave it away with the Triton Extreme. Which at savings of over $500 I would have purchased a Triton Extreme instead.

B. They made a Digital Edition (only $149?) without the controller that all the scrubs have.

C. It was very nice to see it expanded with the M1- but I (like many) expected the expansions to continue.

"Secondly, There are two 'radias' one is an expansion card that adds what I would call 'pure synthesis' into the M3...Then there is the actual Radias synth and its rack unit. This is a part of the Komponent system..."

I did post my comments among the two variations and did not mean to confuse anyone. I am well aware of the difference. I mean to say that the Komponent system could really shine if gave us more choices for cards and if the Radias Rack (is rack even fair- seeing it comes with a railed keybed as opposed to a keyboard and desktop version?) integrated in some other way and opened new possibilities.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You both make valid points, but I side with the 'an update is really very little to ask' opinion.

Even if they just made it so I could hold down the 'keyboard' button whilst hitting a key to select which sample to spread across the keys. It would be something....

I just saw that the IMS-20 is out on iPad. Pretty sure thy despite consumers only paying peanuts, they WILL get updates. Lame.
Griffin Avid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought. The microSAMPLER is someone's baby. Someone made this. Developed it and gave birth to a new KORG product. Where is that person/team right now? Are they reading threads like these?

I wonder if they have already moved on to another project and this is just a dead issue. Maybe due to contractual constraints they cannot make a statement as to why they did XYZ or didn't do ABC.

I'm sure some kind of developer cares about the microSAMPLER and wants it to do more/better. I dunno. Idle thought for the day.

Now back to regularly scheduled programming.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffin Avid wrote:

I think the bonus sounds IS the thank you and a measure of support. Most want features added that were never advertised.

I don't care about bonus sounds. I want to be able to make my own samples, not use someone else's. I don't ask for features that weren't advertised. All I want is the features it is supposed to have. The manual says "sampling time is up to 159 seconrds. Mine doesn't go above 5 and it will not let me transfer loops that I have created in Reason or Ableton because "check the free memory".

Ballooney!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: