Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keyboard layout of 73
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boynton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Keyboard layout of 73 Reply with quote

Deal-breaker for me (or makes the decision easier - 88 or 61). The 73 note is the "classic" (which I hate) ends-at-E in the lower end, making the lowest partial octave useless for left-hand bass, since you need to get down to a C. All electric bass players play 5 string at least for this very reason (except when they want a vintage-retro sound and use a 4 string).

So all the 73 is is a 3 less-key "classic" 76 note keyboard. By comparison a quick check of product photos as Musician's Friend (foe) shows both the M3 and M50 having C to C 73 note keyboards. Perfect for the Left-Hand Bass Playing Keyboardist. The Kronos 73 is actually worse than the 76 "classic" layout by giving you a few less keys in the RH.

BOOOO!

So now if I were to conisder Kronos, it would probably be the 61 for portability on live gigs, and expand it with some other keyboard controller.

Perfect for me would be the 73, weighted action, laid out C to C. Sadly this appears not to be the case.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the layout of E to E is a big mistake. And I also think it was a mistake to use RH3 weighted keys. I would have preferred if the 73 key version was the exact same synth action keys as the M3.

I absolutelty love the M3-73 keyboard and I hope Korg will add this option. I'm not sure if this is a deal breaker for me but I will probably at least delay my purchase to see what happens in the future.
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you look at it differently you can say that the bottom C and the Top C available has bonus keys. Better then not having them in my opinion. I will pick the 73 key version, not because i need the extra keys, but for weighted keys. Smile Different needs and demands I guess. Smile
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but isn't the E-E in order to be compatible with guitar scales?
Mike Bunker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point! -Mike
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different strokes for different folks. I've been using 76 keys most of my playing years. So this setup is preferred to me. Of course, I'd RATHER have the extra 3 keys but ce la vi.

I might have preferred the synth action, though I remember playing the RH3 on the M50-88 and liking it very much. Part of me has been considering weighted, though usually that's 88 key and just too big for gigging. My biggest concern is glissandos with the organ. Hopefully the ends of the keys are smooth and won't catch my hand too easily.

Given everything else, if the keys are the biggest compromise I can live with it.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told that 76/73 key doesn't sell as well as 61 or 88. I'd have to think that 73 weighted would sell worse than 73 semi-weighted. As bad as I want the Kronos, the keyboard options simply don't work for me. The RH3 is a great keybed but it's worthless for organ playing and can't keep up on fast runs or lead solos. While I'm REALLY REALLY hoping Korg puts out a 73 (or heaven forbid a 76) key semi-weighted, I'm not holding my breath.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a piano player's perspective it's perfect - middle C is in the middle!

So the geometry on left and right are perfect from where you sit and that's important to how you play.

Kevin.
Boynton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I guess if you are playing straight piano/keyboard without playing left-hand bass, which most people probably don't, then this is fine. Today I will experiment by setting my Roland A-90 to this layout and seeing how I do with it.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
From a piano player's perspective it's perfect - middle C is in the middle!

So the geometry on left and right are perfect from where you sit and that's important to how you play.

Kevin.

Hi Kevin, I like this 73-key version with weighted keys very much - just like SV-1. Better to transport, still may be enough on stage instead of 88 keys. (The middle key is E, isn't it?)
synthdogg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73 note E to E is the classic Rhodes layout. Tons of keyboard players are already familiar with it, and it's the reason Korg put it into the SV1.

Personally, I'm glad they went this way with the Kronos...if you need a few more keys, get the 88.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could learn to live with the E-E layout but I still would have preferred synth action keys rather than the RH3.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes you wonder what made them deside to make a 73/76 weighted keyboard... Mostly synth players buy this size for various reasons, people that want weighted keys will allmost allways buy the 88 key version..
Mike Bunker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be easily possible to shift the keys left or right within the unit, then shift the global pitch to accomodate the new key layout. How hard would that be? Just sayin'.
-Mike
synthdogg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Makes you wonder what made them deside to make a 73/76 weighted keyboard... Mostly synth players buy this size for various reasons, people that want weighted keys will allmost allways buy the 88 key version..

Go check out some other keyboard forums. Tons of keyboard players have been screaming for 76 note weighted keyboards (okay, none of them thought 73....). I'm one of them. Couldn't be happier with the decision by Korg.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: