Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

smooth transition (not sound cut) when changing Combis or Pr

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: smooth transition (not sound cut) when changing Combis or Pr Reply with quote

I like to know how does the polyphony work regarding this case. thanx
Jugo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I know, from the demos, they say that it works when you switch to either modes, program to combi, combi to program, program to sequence (?) and so on
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurzweil has had that feature over 20 years,nothing new, comes in very handy in live situations though, good to have. Smile
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that in cases when you have full FX used on Kurzweil, you will hear an audible change of effects, while on Kronos you won't. Also, if you switch from/to a KB3 program on a Kurzweil, there will be an audible gap.

On Korg, it's all smooth, doesn't matter the number of FX or the engine you're using
Barbenzinc
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose if you can still hear the 'old' notes, they use some voices.
But i honestly don't think the polyphony is a problem in the Kronos.
opsix
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jemkeys25 wrote:
kurzweil has had that feature over 20 years,nothing new, comes in very handy in live situations though, good to have. Smile

Not true. Even between programs, you can hear the "click". Especially when using KB3. Don't even get me started with going to other modes. And you can't press the sustain pedal and hold notes over just "like that". And with Korg's keyboards, OASYS was the first one that offered a way to do that - sustain a note and then switch to new sound. And it works superbly. From what we could see on Kronos intro videos, Kronos does it even better with less effort.

And yes, I really don't like it when people give incorrect info to anyone, anywhere with such ease.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this is the only use of the 2nd core on the Atom? Rolling Eyes

Would be interesting to know how they do it. It was always considered that however they do it, it would be wastedful because you have to have twice as many effects processing resources just for that handful of seconds when you still have both sounds running.

Anyway whatever it is, it does mean that there could have potentially been more effects slots if they hadn't added this feature. I'm undecided as to which is more important to me. It still seems wasteful for a whole 2nd set of resources to effectively be on stand-by just for that 2 seconds or so.

But then as polyphony is tied in some way with the effects usage, perhaps it is more flexible than a fixed architecture, and you lose polyphony when you effectively have 32FX running in parallel for a moment rather than 16.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Would be interesting to know how they do it. It was always considered that however they do it, it would be wastedful because you have to have twice as many effects processing resources just for that handful of seconds when you still have both sounds running.

Maybe I could offer some insight into this. Let's put it this way. It really depends only on one thing. And that is whether or not you play live a lot. If you do, "seamless shift" is the _most important_ feature of all the possible features you might think of for playing live. And one that will give you immense pleasure in the live setting which is - again - most important thing for getting the best out of yourself. If you're a studio guy, then it really doesn't matter all that much unless you're looking for some special effect that might come from such a gesture (changing a sound while the previous sound plays).
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mrteclas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this can be achieved by the large RAM and SSD. It's like taking a sample from the sustained sound and sustain that (looped?) sample
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrteclas wrote:
I think this can be achieved by the large RAM and SSD. It's like taking a sample from the sustained sound and sustain that (looped?) sample
Like realtime sampling, sounds unlikely in my opinion Very Happy
The other theories makes more sense Wink

Zeroesque

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Not quite. It is probably much more clever than simply running two Kronos side-by-side internally. For example, what would happen if you switched to a third patch? Would that require a third core?
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a voice continues after selecting a new patch, it really continues... not just a looped sample. Arpegiation, LFO, Filter, and all.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Naviára

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
When a voice continues after selecting a new patch, it really continues... not just a looped sample. Arpegiation, LFO, Filter, and all.

Kronos use a second core for this? No, one core would be too slow to do the whole calculation for the whole Kronos...

It's more clever programming and.. not all voices will continue playing, they said that all Karma stuff and sounds will stop if you select a new set, so only the instrument assigned to the zone you hold the note will continue playing.

I'm sure that they never programmed patches wich uses all 12 IFX (even combis) .. If I look at my Oasys combis, most times not more than 4 or 5 effects would be used... but more can be said if someone trys that out, if the Kronos is released.

greetings
A.
Korg gear: Triton Extreme 61 MOSS / OASYS 88 #1722

http://soundcloud.com/anthony-walters
http://www.naviara.de
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: