Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos, true main controller?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Kronos, true main controller? Reply with quote

This might be a question for current Oasys owners or for people that know the Kronos abilities. I'm very excited about the Set List Mode and Smooth Sound Transitions. Those two features alone are going to greatly improve flow during live performances. Feels like Christmas all over again. Haven't been this excited about a keyboard since my Virus TI.

My question...

When stepping through the Set List can Kronos really be the main controller of my entire keyboard setup via midi. It would be so great if, as I stepped through the Set List, all my other keyboards (M3, Virus, Hammond, others) were set to their respective patches, volumes and timing (midi clock). I'm thinking that this would would only be available in Combis and Sequences.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these questions?
Maybe you should wait until the day it arrives?
you've already pre-ordered it, what difference will it make now, or on the day when you get it?
(not asking in a rude manner - sincerely Smile )
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
All these questions?
Maybe you should wait until the day it arrives?
you've already pre-ordered it, what difference will it make now, or on the day when you get it?
(not asking in a rude manner - sincerely Smile )

Good question. Thanx for responding. And I ask because I'm in the process of planning my live performance setup. And if it can do this seamlessly, then great. Else, if not, I'm considering adding a Mac and Ableton Live to the setup. And I can do that over the next few months.

I take it that you didn't know the answer?

vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos, true main controller? Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:

When stepping through the Set List can Kronos really be the main controller of my entire keyboard setup via midi. It would be so great if, as I stepped through the Set List, all my other keyboards (M3, Virus, Hammond, others) were set to their respective patches, volumes and timing (midi clock). I'm thinking that this would would only be available in Combis and Sequences.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Since this is an OASYS under the hood, I guess I could offer some info.

In COMBI mode, for years now, you could use more timbres (channels) to make simple and/or complex sounds. Split, layer, whatever. One of the things you can do in COMBI mode is to layer sounds with "help" from external sound sources. For example, you have a COMBI sound that uses two built-in sounds and three more from various modules "somewhere in the rack". You set the sound source (parameter called "Status" on the OASYS COMBI pg. Timbre parameter-MIDI) for those three sounds to EXT, set MIDI channels to (for example) 5,6 and 7 (and set your modules to respond to those channels as well) and you have a COMBI that uses external sounds. There might be a bit more of work there, but I know I've been doing this for years.

You also have extensive options of manipulating "other bank allocating techniques" for sounds from external sources on that same page (bank select LSB and MSB when using EXT2).

I see absolutely no reason why this wouldn't work in the Set List mode as you can use COMBI's there as well.

Does that help you?
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos, true main controller? Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
I see absolutely no reason why this wouldn't work in the Set List mode as you can use COMBI's there as well.

Does that help you?

That is very cool. Thanx. What I realize is that while I'm waiting for my Kronos, I can be doing that with my M3. Just without the Set List Mode. But if I 'copied' all my progs to Combis, then made those other changes. And arranged them in order. I can essentially have my Set List and set my other keys. Glad I posted the question. Thanx vEddy.

vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos, true main controller? Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:

That is very cool. Thanx. What I realize is that while I'm waiting for my Kronos, I can be doing that with my M3. Just without the Set List Mode. But if I 'copied' all my progs to Combis, then made those other changes. And arranged them in order. I can essentially have my Set List and set my other keys. Glad I posted the question. Thanx vEddy.

No problem, man, glad to help. Yes, you can definitely "get the hang" of the whole process on M3 as it has the same thing just without the Set List feature. And from my extensive experience with "this way of working", you'll have an absolute zero problems with it. Works perfectly.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: