Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

read oasys manual to understand kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mymusic42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OPEN: I am not as bothered by others as calling the OASYS open. Of course it wasn't open in the sense that anyone could write engines for it. But it was open in the sense that you weren't limited to the initial sound engines it came with. And Korg delivered 4 sound engines after the initial release of the OASYS. I doubt they would ever let third parties create EXIs, but as long as they keep releasing them I will be happy.

PRESETS: You've always been able to overwrite presets on Korg machines. It's been a few years since I had an OASYS, so I can't remember if certain banks had to hold certain soundtypes. I think you had to set the bank type in global. So you could say that Bank F could hold CX3 programs. But that is changeable. So although you couldn't mix two types of programs in the same bank, if you don't use CX3 you are not bound to have a CX3 bank. I'm pretty sure I am remembering correctly.

ALL THINGS TO ALL PEOPLE: The biggest reason Korg stays out of the VST game is software piracy. But I doubt they had any piracy on the OASYS EXIs. So as long as they control the platform (OASYS,KRONOS,etc), maybe they can create EXIs....which are really just VSTi's for their proprietary platform. And because everything is now software based, you have a customizable platform that each user can tailor to their needs and Korg doesn't have to worry about making 1 version for one person and another version for someone else. Each user can purchase the EXIs they want and ignore the ones they don't want. So now Korg can offer a single workstation that can potentially make everyone happy.

i think the OASYS failed because it cost $8000 and right when it was released the recession hit. i think that the marketing model of the OASYS is still sound; it was just the price tag. now that they can sell it for a third of the price, i think they could pursue that model. i am sure they are just playing it safe, but they probably could have sold the kronos for $1500-2000 and then charged for the EXIs. i'm sure that people would pay for them and the OASYS users would have been less bitter!
mymusic42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: BANK TYPES--to cello Reply with quote

I just re-read the OASYS manual. Presumably the Kronos works the same. Look on page 43 of the oasys operation guide.

Banks are either HD1 or EXI. The preset bank A-F are set to a specific type, but you can change the bank types for the user banks. "Banks can contain either HD-1 Programs or EXi Programs, but not both. This assignment is fixed for the Internal banks, but can be set separately for each of the USER banks."

However the actual programs within those banks are overwriteble (for user and preset banks). So you can overwrite all your CX3 programs with other EXI programs!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it was said in some of the video material from NAMM that you can use "any" of the 9 engines together in a program. So perhaps this limitation is lifted?
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was said in some of the video material from NAMM that you can use "any" of the 9 engines together in a program. So perhaps this limitation is lifted?

Looks like it... !

mymusic42 wrote:
So you can overwrite all your CX3 programs with other EXI programs!

Best news I've had this year! Excellent Cool
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
mymusic42 wrote:
So you can overwrite all your CX3 programs with other EXI programs!

Best news I've had this year! Excellent Cool

Haha, cello, you're a bit like me, not using that CX-3 for anything at all.
It would have been nice if Korg didn't even include it and therefore made the original price of the Oasys as cheap as the Kronos is now Wink
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
Can I overwrite the CX-3 slots? I thought that in the O the sound banks 'belonged' to engines?

They are just program slots, so you can replace them with other sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: