Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can i do this with a Kronos/Oasys...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Can i do this with a Kronos/Oasys... Reply with quote

Hi,
This question will be for Oasys owners as there's no Kronos users yet! With my laptop/soundcard setup, i sometimes send a click to the drummer but sometimes i also have to send to the drummer the loop the band is playing over. I figured that:

A) i could use a click in Combi mode by using the Drum track and program a click "pattern". Can i send the output of the Drum track(click) program to something else than the main out on a per combi level?
B) Can i send the loop(either audio sample or step sequence) to both the main out(for the venue) AND to one of the indiv. outs to my drummer(same output i use for the click on some songs?

That's the only problem that i see switching from my laptop to Kronos, apart from having to reprogram the whole set!!! Thanks for your time.

Blink
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to do both.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Can i do this with a Kronos/Oasys... Reply with quote

blinkofanI wrote:
A) i could use a click in Combi mode by using the Drum track and program a click "pattern". Can i send the output of the Drum track(click) program to something else than the main out on a per combi level?

Yes.. I send my DrumTrack out #4 all the time.... and there are a couple "Metronome" drumtrasks already setup.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blink,

I don't have my Oasys anymore, and not yet the Kronos, but from what I do remember, you can route a track (loop or click) to an external output. The Kronos does have 2 main out and 4 individual Outputs:

But I don't recall if we can route a track to both Main out and individual out... I doubt it, but I might be wrong. Someone needs to confirm or correct it Smile

Worst case scenario, you can have twice the same loop and send one to the main and one to the individual out for the drummer.

Phil
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
I don't recall if we can route a track to both Main out and individual out... I doubt it, but I might be wrong. Someone needs to confirm or correct it Smile

I can think of two ways to do this with the Drum Track. Neither are perfect, but both will work.

The first is kind of tricky, and burns one of your insert effects: use an FX Control Bus to create a parallel output. Add one of the effects that supports the FX Control Busses (e.g. Stereo Compressor), select the bus as the envelope source, enable Side Chain Monitor, and set the compressor so that it's not doing anything (e.g. Ratio = 1:1). Finally, assign the output of the compressor to the desired individual output.

It would be better if there was a more straightforward way to mult the signal to two outputs, but this will work!

Second: in Combi and Sequencer modes, the Drum Track can play two or more Drum Programs at once. So, you could just set up two identical Drum Programs, one routed to the main outputs, and the other to the individual output.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everybody,
Thanks for the quick replies!! Boy this place is great...

To danatkorg, that's great! First scenario is what will work for me as it will most often be audio loops and not midi data(Drum Track). I think i can spare an IFX, since there's 12, not counting the FXs on EP-1, CX-3, etc. I've managed in the past with the 2 Fxs in the WavestationEX, so with 12, i'm spoiled Very Happy

Blink
alanforrest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's one for ya...

the setlist feature is sheer genius (although why it's taken so long for someone to actually implement it still has me beat), but if I have another synth on stage with me, that doesn't have the genius setlist thing happening, can I use the Kronos to, having selected say patch 34, send this same patch change (or perhaps even another) to the other keyboard via MIDI, thus making all my keyboards follow the setlist programmed into the Kronos?
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanforrest wrote:

the setlist feature is sheer genius (although why it's taken so long for someone to actually implement it still has me beat), but if I have another synth on stage with me, that doesn't have the genius setlist thing happening, can I use the Kronos to, having selected say patch 34, send this same patch change (or perhaps even another) to the other keyboard via MIDI, thus making all my keyboards follow the setlist programmed into the Kronos?

Setlist feature works with sequences, programs and combis. If you want it to select the same patch, then your next "patch" in the list can be a program. If you select "34", then (given correct MIDI settings for KRONOS and your external synth) switch to "35", they will simultaneously switch. If you want to have a different patch on the external synth, then you can use KRONOS's COMBI mode. That's what it's designed for Smile

Yes, it can easily be done. Been doing it for years.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
alanforrest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think my wildest dreams just came true...

so, just to clarify - i always use combi's on my M3 to play live - If I get a Kronos, set up MIDI comms, and make a setlist on the Kronos that goes combi 2, 5, 1, 7, 11 (or whatever), then as I step through the setlist on Kronos, the M3 should load the same combi's at the same time?
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanforrest wrote:
i think my wildest dreams just came true...

so, just to clarify - i always use combi's on my M3 to play live - If I get a Kronos, set up MIDI comms, and make a setlist on the Kronos that goes combi 2, 5, 1, 7, 11 (or whatever), then as I step through the setlist on Kronos, the M3 should load the same combi's at the same time?

Oh, ok, I see your concern. Set list mode either needs to have some MIDI-remapping to cover that, or it will switch in sequence. We need to ask that. It's a good question. Let's find out, I've posted this question in the other thread.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: