Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poll: SDK for Kronos would boost sales?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

SDK for Kronos would boost sales?
yes
45%
 45%  [ 11 ]
no
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 24

P5music

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Poll: SDK for Kronos would boost sales? Reply with quote

Do you think that a SDk with c++ headers to let developers create "apps" inside Kronos with access to its engine and data classes (say midi patterns, graphics, playback, ports,etc) would be advantageous to Kronos customers and Korg sales?
(no open source is involved)
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will never happen.

OASYS was 'open' - to Korg - but there is no indication that they simply used a framework to just 'drop' new synthesizers in. It might have been fairly straightforward for them but it still had to be a part of an OS update.

KRONOS for all intents and purposes seems designed around OASYS and I expect the system is the same, if not even more complex to add new engines.

Also, Korg's philosophy here seems to be about quality. They have these 'top notch' engines - and they really are great engines - which they have designed themselves and designed all the great sounds for it. It really is their product and a lot of effort has gone into all that. If everyone and their uncle could write new expansions for it, they'd be diluting that. Look at the number of really awful VSTi instruments out there. They could also potentially break the KRONOS or cause it to crash, and the support situation would be complicated. Korg could be expected to reload or repair KRONOS' which have been permanently crashed by some 3rd party plug.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Korg's philosophy here seems to be about quality. They have these 'top notch' engines - and they really are great engines - which they have designed themselves and designed all the great sounds for it. It really is their product and a lot of effort has gone into all that. If everyone and their uncle could write new expansions for it, they'd be diluting that.

Why?

If "Ozy's Garage Sound Creations" produces a shitty engine, nobody will buy it and the Kronos' reputation will remain intact.

No "dilution" there.

But if it's a great engine, which can run only on Kronos and because of Kronos' quality, sales of Kronos will be improved. And its reputation weill only grow.

Imagine one "Stephen Kay II" inventing a new engine for the Kronos.

Or Arturia deciding that the Kronos is a nice computer after all, and releasing their vintage emulations for Kronos.

WHO would be afraid of it? Yamaha, not Korg.

This is what the Oasys was supposed to be in the beginning, BTW, in the custoners' expectations, during its 10-years gestation
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit it is a nice idea, yes. Again "a nice idea". I don't see it happening.

I've wanted to produce a keyboard which was open like this. But I think you'd need some kind of strict quality control (not to mention one place for developers to come together and sell their product) ala the Apple App Store. I know in some ways it is considered an evil, but in some cases perhaps a necessary one.

You could also then charge a small (by commercial development package standards) fee for the SDK to pay for all the QC and support it will need.

Did I just give away my whole business plan? Rolling Eyes

Anyway, in my opinion, I like the way Korg does things with their design. See how everything looks like it is supposed to be on the same piece of hardware, not just a bunch of different software products cobbled together. If I wanted that then I'd use my laptop.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
But if it's a great engine, which can run only on Kronos and because of Kronos' quality, sales of Kronos will be improved. And its reputation weill only grow.

You're always so humble and soft spoken, Oz. Wink

I do agree that if I could get Arturia's Moog Modular V and other softsynths on KRONOS - OASYS too, Pro53, Waves Mastering Bundle or whatever, I'd probably buy them. But does not having them make the KRONOS seem less desirable?

Not really.
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthguy wrote:
But does not having them make the KRONOS seem less desirable?Not really.

Did I say that? No.

The question is:

is there a market for an OPEN SYSTEM?

Read this whole forum, espcially the Oasys threads.

Look at Apple's success.

Look at the renaissance (relative, considering the prices) of modular hardware synths.

Look at the success of VSTs.

Look at AVID going hardware-unrelated in order to become a standard.

People, markets, money, musicians... everybody is telling the same thing.

Yes, it's time for an open system.

The thread is about this.

Why twisting my answer? I didn't say the Kronos "is not enough". I say that "OPEN" is good.
P5music

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-sound generation could be excluded from the exposed part of the system
-a dedicated "user space" could be reserved (one or more "screens/tabs")
-a form of apps screening by korg could be tolerated
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont want to run other peoples programs on a machine that needs to be reliable in the first place..

If you want to add your own programs just add a laptop to your setup with a host running a multitude of VSt's and what not programs...

But people programming around on a hardware (replacement) Synth is not what you want, trust me on that.

@Ozy and forget about Asturias and other Softsynths, that would give so much performance problems on the Kronos. This machine was nut build to be open.. Which does not mean it won't be possible to expand it, but only in ways KORG has toroughly tested.
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
This machine was nut build to be open..

well, whatever.

Somebody will think of producing a open synth sometimes.

Rolling Eyes
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think Apple with the App Store for the iPhone...

You can have a cheap SDK, with a validation process going through Korg to guarantee the quality of expansions.

Lot of VST and Sample Libraries developers out there already know how to build good stuff... Let them do the job for Korg.

For the "crappy" software, it won't be different from what we see with the VST market today, and it will be even better because it would be a central level of quality control, done by Korg, the way Korg would like...

That's why I think it would be a great benefit for the Kronos to become a platform such the "iPhone of Workstation"

Phil
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
Somebody will think of producing a open synth sometimes.

Rolling Eyes

Done. There are several VST players on the market. Go buy one.
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
Go and buy.

was waiting for you to give me the red light.

Thanks
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
Zeroesque wrote:
Go and buy.

was waiting for you to give me the red light.

Thanks

LOL...
You did oddly edit my quote, though...
P5music

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper DAW by Cockos has a SDK for developers and a busy forum that testify this is the modern way to make software/gear. Developers have to be let customize the systems and add missing features because company departments fight each other and seldom they create a perfect product even for the "market" they always claim to know: often very unreasonable limitations are put to the shipped gear.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P5music wrote:
Reaper DAW by Cockos has a SDK for developers and a busy forum that testify this is the modern way to make software/gear. Developers have to be let customize the systems and add missing features because company departments fight each other and seldom they create a perfect product even for the "market" they always claim to know: often very unreasonable limitations are put to the shipped gear.

The Kronos is an instrument, not a software project. You'd have an equal chance at building an open source helicopter or open source skyscraper. Think those can work?

Reaper extensions, JS scripts and themes are so technically far from the features that people ask for on these forums as to be laughable. Do you know what it means to program for a real-time OS? Can you implement brand new synthesizers on Reaper using an extension? No, the API allows for UI/macro type things.

Your analogy simply doesn't fit, and thus can't logically support your soapbox rant at the end there.

I'm also guessing that you're a Reaper fanboy and feel that any other business model is imperfect and evil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: