Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS, and... ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: KRONOS, and... ? Reply with quote

I play live with 2 keyboards - my current rig is a triton EX and Triton Classic or Trinity depending on the gig.

I'm thinking that when KRONOS hits my local GC it'll be that and another board soon after. I don't know that I'll keep 2 Korg boards in the mix... I may look for a Motif or Fantom, I may go with just a controller and a couple of grittier EMU modules I've had for a while for an edgier complex and definitely non-acoustic layered textures... I feel like I could develop a signature sound there that's not so cookie-cutter/pre-set/vanilla.

The under-stated promise of KRONOS is that it can do whatever was done by ANY previous Korg flagship board, including the M1, T1, 01W, Trin, Tri, Karma... and OASYS.

So the question to you is, if you have access to all the previous Korg colors and flavors what will be YOUR second keyboard and why?

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have a Kurzweil PC3K8. My second keyboard will be Kronos 61.

Match made in heaven. Forget about Y and R. Wink
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: KRONOS, and... ? Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
I play live with 2 keyboards - my current rig is a triton EX and Triton Classic or Trinity depending on the gig.
he under-stated promise of KRONOS is that it can do whatever was done by ANY previous Korg flagship board, including the M1, T1, 01W, Trin, Tri, Karma... and OASYS.
So the question to you is, if you have access to all the previous Korg colors and flavors what will be YOUR second keyboard and why?BB

I'd go with Kurzweil. Sits well in the mix with OASYS (therefore probably Kronos, as well) and offers a different sort of quality in terms of soundset. My second choice would be - believe it or not - Trinity.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.

Last edited by vEddY on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: KRONOS, and... ? Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:
So the question to you is, if you have access to all the previous Korg colors and flavors what will be YOUR second keyboard and why?

A MIDI controller connected to the Kronos is not a bad idea for the 2nd keybed. The Virus TI has such an incredible feeling keyboard (better than any other synth on the market), that I'd always choose it for my second keyboard. Even it's simply MIDI'd into the Kronos.

But keep in mind which Kronos you get. If you get a 73 or 88, you may want that lighter action keybed as a second keyboard. This would be for your synths, organs, etc....

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: KRONOS, and... ? Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
billbaker wrote:

A MIDI controller connected to the Kronos is not a bad idea for the 2nd keybed. The Virus TI has such an incredible feeling keyboard (better than any other synth on the market), that I'd always choose it for my second keyboard. Even it's simply MIDI'd into the Kronos.

But keep in mind which Kronos you get. If you get a 73 or 88, you may want that lighter action keybed as a second keyboard. This would be for your synths, organs, etc....

that's exactly what I'm thinking of doing - using my Axiom49 as a second keybed. it'll be perfect for things like organs or leads, and with any luck, I might be able to assign some of the knobs/sliders to some of the controls on the Kronos. It'd be cool if I could use the sliders on the Axiom as my CX3 drawbars and still use the Kronos sliders as a mixer control for combis and such.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
ozy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: KRONOS, and... ? Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:

SECOND and ONLY?

Then an analogue. I'd say the prophet08 (because of polyphony).

why?

Because it's something which is not in the Kronos.

Other digital workstations make less sense once you have one very good rompler+VA

I will not sell the PC3 in order to buy the Kronos, but would never add the Pc3 as SECOND keyboard to the Kronos.

SECOND (and only) should be something totally complementary.

And that's real analogue.

IMHO.

Definitely.

This is about occupying vertical real estate,

but also about REALLY really making a point here.

Did I say I like analogue and would rather have had brass & winds physical modeling in the Kronos, rather than fake analogue?

Methinks I did.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely Motif XF with 2Gb FlashRAM...

Yamaha always had great acoustic sounds and with a different sounding from Korg. With the FlashRAM it would allow some enough custom sounds.

Nonetheless, I would like to have Kronos88 keyboards for the RH3 hammer action, and then a Motif XF7 for the 76 synth action.

The Kurz PC3 ain't my taste and only the VSynth GT is interesting at Roland (but only for sound design...)

my 2 cents,
Phil
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF Kronos gets an OS update in which they would enable user sample streaming, Motif XF can just stop existing. It's worthless then.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not totally mistaken about it's sound and preset quality, I don't see any need for any other ROMpler in my gear besides the Kronos.

So I can finally kick the totally halfbaked Roland Fantom G out of my gear with a sigh.

But I will be glad still using Access TI, Moog Voyager and Moog LP besides and along with the Kronos - and my Rhodes Mk I of course.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the Virus TI to be the perfect compliment.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the Virus TI to be the perfect compliment.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: KRONOS, and... ? Reply with quote

ozy wrote:

SECOND (and only) should be something totally complementary.

And that's real analogue.

+1.

How about Kronos + Andromeda? Immense sonic range with two synths...
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andromeda is a wicked great choice, too.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: KRONOS, and... ? Reply with quote

billbaker wrote:

Well, since my Kronos would be a 61 (since the others are too heavy), my second keyboard would have to have more keys and an action more suitable for piano, and also not too heavy. So that narrows the playing field quite a bit. I like the Nord Stage 2-76 (or 88 if you could handle the weight), because it has some great sounds (including its sample library), has a seductive knob-and-button interface, and has a keyboard that, while weighted, is still nicely usable as a "second manual" for the Kronos organ.
SoulBe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I´d say it depends on what kind of music you do. If there is something soundwise that Kronos doesen´t cover than go for it.

I myself owned a motif es 8 before buying OASYS and I still use it but mostly as masterbeyboard controller because of the keybed, because the O covers all my need (and so should Kronos).

So I´d recommend to wait until Kronos is there and then to decide ... maybe a 88 controller withou engine is sufficient.

regards
SoulBe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: