Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS, and... ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: KRONOS, and... ? Reply with quote

CfNorENa wrote:

How about Kronos + Andromeda? Immense sonic range with two synths...

Agreed. Very good choice.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own setup will be Kronos + Solaris.
ozy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francois wrote:
My own setup will be Kronos + Solaris.

you're in for a long vacation then.

What keyboards did you choose for practicing in the gap months?
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that I have a Solaris on order and will be buying a Kronos doesn't mean I don't have any keyboard right now. It simply means that my only two keyboards will be the Solaris and the Kronos. I need to trim my setup so there will be a few put on sale such as Karma, Trinity, Polysix... Most of my setup is already made of racks anyway.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francois, that is WICKED amount of power! Let me send you congrats ahead of time! Smile
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still sitting on top of my christmass bonus, planning on an 88 Kronos in combination with my V-syth GT2 a Groove rack and a big touchscreen...

Selling my Yamaha ES90 .....

(Seccondary option is selling both my V-synth and my ES90 and investing in Tyros4 and a fast laptop with touchscreen) But i am still hoping the Groove box gives me good enough styles to toy around with...

I got myself 3 friends that want to start a singing carreer as a trio, so i am planning on gigging again over the next year and prefer to do that with arranger styles and the awesome piano sounds from Kronos....
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it all depends on what you have the 2nd keyboard for. Is it more sounds, or a second set of keys?

Personally I have a Motif XS which I will keep. That will most likely be VERY complimentary.

Though I might go down to just one board, a Kronos 88. The reason why is the splits that would be available with that setup. Over 1000 patches, so unlikely I'd run out. Plus that it should have mute and solo buttons on the screen should make it easy to change patches. You could feasibly play an entire night with ONE combi if you don't need a lot of different sounds!

The biggest downside to this is redundancy. If Kronos went down on a professional gig and I was far away, it'd be a serious problem. So my band leader might not allow me to do that anyway.

So besides the XS, we need to listen to the Kronos and see what it's strenghts and weaknesses are. Only THEN can you really make a decision. Being that there's a new 10+GB of samples, you HAVE to listen and just can't judge based on OASYS demos to get an accurate assessment.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
I'd say it all depends on what you have the 2nd keyboard for. Is it more sounds, or a second set of keys?

Personally I have a Motif XS which I will keep. That will most likely be VERY complimentary.

I have a Motif Rack XS. I'm going to wait until I actually get a Kronos to decide whether or not to sell it. There are some great sounds there, and I want to be sure the Kronos has sounds that are comparable. Until we get the two units side by side, we really don't know whether they are more complementary than redundant.

As for a second keyboard, sounds are one factor, but yeah, just having a second set of keys is the bigger concern. As you point out, there's the issue of backup at a gig in case of a failure. Also, as I mentioned earlier, I want an action with a good feel for piano (the Kronos 61 will provide a good feel for organ/synth... and I wouldn't flip it the other way around because of weight issues). Also, I like being able to have a right hand part cross a left hand part on the fly, without necessarily having to set up splits and octave transpositions ahead of time, or worry about running out of keys.

While a different palette of sounds is always nice to have, I'm sure I could do fine with just what's in the Kronos... it's the other factors that prompt me to definitely have a second board. I mentioned I like the Stage 2 for numerous reasons, but even a light good feeling 88 like a Yamaha P95 would be a good economical choice that would address the most important reasons I'd bring a second board.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos 61 over Numa Nano: Light weight, keyboards can be very close together (this will be my initial setup)
or
VMK-161 Plus Organ over Kronos 88: better feel of both organ and piano playing w/o regard to weight and space savings (and still retain a joystick on top).

If you wanted two synths, a Kronos 61 over a PC3K8 would be awesome and make for some reassurance if one board went down (but I'm just sick of carrying keyboards over 40lbs).

Last edited by Zeroesque on Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
If you wanted two synths, a Kronos 61 over a PC3K8 would be awesome (I'm just sick of carrying keyboards over 40lbs).

I'm getting there... slowly Cool
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
Kronos 61 over Numa Nano: Light weight, keyboards can be very close together (this will be my initial setup)

Have you tried the Nano? Nice features on paper, but I was disappointed in the interface and the feel. I'd put a cheaper, better feeling Yamaha P95 on bottom (if you could live without the assignable wheel, foot controller, and aftertouch).

Zeroesque wrote:
If you wanted two synths, a Kronos 61 over a PC3K8 would be awesome and make for some reassurance if one board went down (but I'm just sick of carrying keyboards over 40lbs).

Yeah, the weight is why my version of that awesome combination would be the 76-key Stage 2 on bottom.
TSUNAMI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my top tier now has as form TODAY !!! a Novation Ultranova !!! Man alive that things fat !!!
13in Retina MacBook Pro, Quadcore i5 27in 8GB iMac, Logic Studio 9.1, Ableton Live9, Push, Volca Beats, Korg KRONOS 61, Korg Arp odyssey, Roland D50, Yamaha SY85, Moog Sub37, Roland TR8, Roland SP808, Korg NanoPad2, Eventide H9, Presonus 1602, Alesis M1 MkII, Yamaha APX5, Fender Splattercaster, DrumKat DK10, 1000 miles of cable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Zeroesque wrote:

Have you tried the Nano? Nice features on paper, but I was disappointed in the interface and the feel. I'd put a cheaper, better feeling Yamaha P95 on bottom (if you could live without the assignable wheel, foot controller, and aftertouch).

Zeroesque wrote:

Yeah, the weight is why my version of that awesome combination would be the 76-key Stage 2 on bottom.

Yeah, I've definitely had issues w/ the Nano and am still working w/ the distributor to get them ironed out. I'm not sure if the feel is right -- just haven't had much time with it. The light weight is such a huge feature for me, though. You can also get another keyboard practically clamped right on top of it if you don't care about using the control panel live. Like you said, there are a few weighted 88s that aren't too heavy and have sounds (to get by in a pinch). Yamaha and Roland come to mind. I might end up going down that path instead, but don't really want to.

As for the Kurz choice, I do like VAST programming and loved most of the sounds on the PC3 (freakin' gorgeous orchestral for a keyboard) and other Kurzweils I've had, but I should probably try a Nord Stage sometime. How do you like it? I don't care for 73/76 keys, though (unless they made it 76 A to C or 73 C to C).
AK-Jake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gig with a Roland Fantom G7 on the bottom (master) and a Yamaha Motif XF7 on the top tier. I also have a rack with a Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR (rack) with 6 SRX expansion boards, and an OLD Triton Rack with 8 EXB-PCM expansion boards.

When space isn't an issue, I bring my Triton Extreme 76 along for fun and sometimes either my Korg R3 (vocoder) or my Roland GAIA, but those are for the rare BIG shows (Dewey Beach, DE, Nags Head, NC, Clarendon Ballroom in DC, Shamrock Fest in DC, etc.) For these shows, we usually hire people to help us haul gear, so I bring my Fantom G8 instead of the G7. Smile

If I had to play with just a Kronos and something else, I personally would pick a Motif XF, most likely. I play in 2 cover bands, so workstations are the best choice for me. Outside of "Big Three" workstations, I'd strongly consider a Nord, most likely a Stage. Then again, the new Arturia Origin Keyboard is looking freaking SICK...I may sell my Jupiter 8 to get one of those!

On a side note, what's the "Solaris?"
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Quote:
Well, since my Kronos would be a 61 (since the others are too heavy), my second keyboard would have to have more keys and an action more suitable for piano, and also not too heavy. So that narrows the playing field quite a bit. I like the Nord Stage 2-76 (or 88 if you could handle the weight), because it has some great sounds (including its sample library), has a seductive knob-and-button interface, and has a keyboard that, while weighted, is still nicely usable as a "second manual" for the Kronos organ.

+1. The Stage 88 is only 4 pounds heavier than the 76, and it's SWEET having the extra keys on bottom! It's still makes me happy knowing the Stage has 88 weighted keys ( I like the feel), steel casing, and weighs 40 pounds!

I have the M3 now and love it, but knowing the Kronos will be very similar to the M3 (OS, general way of relating to sound), I like the contrast the Stage offers. Very hands on, I like the feel for piano type sounds, love the sounds, and it's instantly available for the bread and butter sounds.

The advantage of a Kronos 61 is the weight (it's almost 4 pounds lighter than the M3-61! 27.5 pounds!), which makes it the first board I'd reach for when playing out, and while I much prefer longer boards, I've found I can live with a 61. And the price: there's an $800 difference btw the 61 and 88.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: