Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External MIDI Control (Master Keyboard) in Kronos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AK-Jake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: External MIDI Control (Master Keyboard) in Kronos? Reply with quote

I'm spoiled: I use a Roland Fantom G for my master controller. In their Fantom G "Live Sets" (Roland-speak for Combis), you have 8 different internal patches, plus 16 MIDI tracks laid out right in front of you. You can do all your splits/layers/MIDI from one screen, then save the Live Set the way you want it. Switching all your gear is as simple as switching Live Sets. The only 2 flaws to this is that there's no way to octave shift external gear from the FG, and there's no way to switch from single-patch mode to Performance/Combi mode on external gear from inside the FG. Otherwise, it's perfect.)

Does anyone know if the Kronos is going to have a feature setup like this? I'm suspecting that will be the case, in which case I can probably dispense with my G7 and replace it with my Kronos 73, and still continue with my Motif XF7.

Anyone know more?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg's Combi mode allows you to have up to 16 channels/timbres. But that's in total. You set a timbre to be 'Internal' where it uses the internal sound engine, or 'external' - where you can send program change & bank change when the combi is loaded, as well as performance of keys and controllers, on that MIDI channel. You can route KARMA to control any timbre (including external ones), you can set up velocity switching and keyzones, filter transmission of certain controls or other message types, etc.
Additionally the mixer settings (level and pan) will be sent out for external timbres so you can get the right level of your different sounds from your external gear in your setup. Basically the combi becomes the master control centre for your whole setup, if you so desire.

Sequencer mode is very similar to combi mode with pretty much the same basic structure, but built in linear and pattern sequencing functions. Additionally the KRONOS has 16 mono (or up to 8 stereo) audio tracks.

Set List mode lets you have a number of different entries (program, combi, or song) on the screen with notes next to them, switching between them is very straightforward just by touching them on the screen.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: External MIDI Control (Master Keyboard) in Kronos? Reply with quote

AK-Jake wrote:
I'm spoiled: I use a Roland Fantom G for my master controller. In their Fantom G "Live Sets" (Roland-speak for Combis), you have 8 different internal patches, plus 16 MIDI tracks laid out right in front of you. You can do all your splits/layers/MIDI from one screen, then save the Live Set the way you want it. Switching all your gear is as simple as switching Live Sets. The only 2 flaws to this is that there's no way to octave shift external gear from the FG,

Anyone know more?

Actually, you can octave shift external gear but you have to use the Fantom's software editor as it was "left out" of the Fantom's GUI.

I use a G6 to control an M3-M and the G6 can tell the M3 to be in combi or patch mode...just depends on the MSB/LSB values.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: External MIDI Control (Master Keyboard) in Kronos? Reply with quote

AK-Jake wrote:
I'm spoiled: I use a Roland Fantom G for my master controller. In their Fantom G "Live Sets" (Roland-speak for Combis), you have 8 different internal patches, plus 16 MIDI tracks laid out right in front of you. You can do all your splits/layers/MIDI from one screen, then save the Live Set the way you want it. Switching all your gear is as simple as switching Live Sets. The only 2 flaws to this is that there's no way to octave shift external gear from the FG, and there's no way to switch from single-patch mode to Performance/Combi mode on external gear from inside the FG. Otherwise, it's perfect.)

Does anyone know if the Kronos is going to have a feature setup like this? I'm suspecting that will be the case, in which case I can probably dispense with my G7 and replace it with my Kronos 73, and still continue with my Motif XF7.

Anyone know more?

Jake you can change modes on external gear from the Fantom G. You just have to find out the system exclusive message that needs to be transmitted then you are good to go.

To transmit the data, just enter the sys message into a phrase and then trigger then assign the phrase to a pad using the RPS feature (i think that is the best one to use). then when you want to change modes on the external gear, you just push the pad associated with that phrase/sys exclusive message and BAM!!!

I've got a tutorial on how to change modes on the MOTIF RACK XS. It's posted on the Roland Clan website. check it out.

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: External MIDI Control (Master Keyboard) in Kronos? Reply with quote

apex wrote:

Jake you can change modes on external gear from the Fantom G. You just have to find out the system exclusive message that needs to be transmitted then you are good to go.

It's not necessary to go to all of that trouble...MSB, LSB and patch# are right there on the screen in the Fantom's "external" channels. You can just dial it in and save it with a live set. When you select that live set, patch changes are sent automatically.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Korg's Combi mode allows you to have up to 16 channels/timbres. But that's in total. You set a timbre to be 'Internal' where it uses the internal sound engine, or 'external' - where you can send program change & bank change when the combi is loaded, as well as performance of keys and controllers, on that MIDI channel. You can route KARMA to control any timbre (including external ones), you can set up velocity switching and keyzones, filter transmission of certain controls or other message types, etc.
Additionally the mixer settings (level and pan) will be sent out for external timbres so you can get the right level of your different sounds from your external gear in your setup. Basically the combi becomes the master control centre for your whole setup, if you so desire.

Sequencer mode is very similar to combi mode with pretty much the same basic structure, but built in linear and pattern sequencing functions. Additionally the KRONOS has 16 mono (or up to 8 stereo) audio tracks.

Set List mode lets you have a number of different entries (program, combi, or song) on the screen with notes next to them, switching between them is very straightforward just by touching them on the screen.

yeah... this is one area where the Fantom G shines.... you get all 16 internal parts (more if you have ARX cards installed), + you get 16 external parts to work with....

one of the main reasons I still have my Fantom G.

YouTube -

Facebook -

X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I've never needed to use more than two or three external parts. Even if you have ten or so external modules or other synthesizers, surely you're not going to be using all of them at the same time?

I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement, but there is a realistic limit as to how much sound you can use before it ceases to make any sense....
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Personally I've never needed to use more than two or three external parts. Even if you have ten or so external modules or other synthesizers, surely you're not going to be using all of them at the same time?

I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement, but there is a realistic limit as to how much sound you can use before it ceases to make any sense....

depending on the type of music you are creating... this statement will vary greatly!!!

32 different sounds within a song doesn't seem to be too much does it? especially considering some people put their drum sounds each on their own part so they can individually alter volume, etc...

YouTube -

Facebook -

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: