Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

al-1 vs nord lead 3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtray187

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: al-1 vs nord lead 3 Reply with quote

Im curious to know if the al-1 engine is good enough to replace my nord lead 3?

Does it get as aggressive?
Can you detune and stack the way you can on the nl3, and just basic overall sound?

Thanks!
T7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: al-1 vs nord lead 3 Reply with quote

dtray187 wrote:
Im curious to know if the al-1 engine is good enough to replace my nord lead 3?

Does it get as aggressive?
Can you detune and stack the way you can on the nl3, and just basic overall sound?

Thanks!

Having owned a Nord G2 Modular, which shares the same sound engine as the Lead 3, the short answer is yes.
ozy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: al-1 vs nord lead 3 Reply with quote

T7 wrote:
Nord G2 Modularshares the same sound engine as the Lead 3

Think Confused Question Eh?
T7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: al-1 vs nord lead 3 Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
T7 wrote:
Nord G2 Modularshares the same sound engine as the Lead 3

Think Confused Question Eh?

You read that right. The VA portion of the G2 is based on the Lead 3, so they sound exactly the same used in the same context. Surprised
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, if you want 'aggressive', you really should be looking at the MS-20EX
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn off the reverb (and other FXs) and suddenly VAs sound more raw and aggressive. I'm sure the Korg synths sound great but the presets are probably more FX laden than the Nord.

Busch.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nords traditionally have a bright, rather coolish "cut through the mix" kind of sound. While I never had one per se, I did use the Nord Modular demo software quite a bit. It sounded just as bright and "chilly" as the other Nords. I much prefer my Radias and Virus as far as VAs go. The Radias is almost as bright but a little warmer sounding, while the Virus can deliver some very beefy Moogy sounds along with the usual bright tweezy techno stuff.

While I've never had access to an OASYS, from the mp3 and YouTube demos, it sounds as if it's in the ballpark of the Alesis Andromeda. Those who own a Big O as well as a Radias or other VA say that the AL-1 is nice, warm and juicy but very flexible, as if KORG had built a modular analog like Roland did with the System 700. I'm guessing, but to make it as aggressive and cutting sounding as a Nord Lead 3, you'd use effects such as exciters, distortion and EQs, much as people have done with real analogs to juice up their sound a bit.

If you're considering selling the NL3 to help fund the KRONOS, I'd recommend that you keep it and save up. You seem to like it, and those things are very hard to come by these days, and I'd think it would make a good partner with the KRONOS.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NL2x > NL3.
dtray187

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry couldnt figure out the quote thing yet...

X-TRADE SAID......Of course, if you want 'aggressive', you really should be looking at the MS-20EX

But there is no unison option for that engine is there?

SYNTHGUY SAID....While I've never had access to an OASYS, from the mp3 and YouTube demos, it sounds as if it's in the ballpark of the Alesis Andromeda.

Wow, thats a big comparison , I used to own an a6, its hard to imagine any va sounding that deep?
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtray187 wrote:

Wow, thats a big comparison , I used to own an a6, its hard to imagine any va sounding that deep?

The AL1 doesn't have a patch on the Andromeda,it may have plenty of routing options in terms of modulation options but I'd never compare the AL to the A6,and certainly if you like the A6 sound using the AL1 as some kind of alternative may not cut it for you.

I've used and owned both Oasys and The A6 the Andromeda goes far deeper than the AL,The AL engine can work in a kind of unison mode if you stack 2 AL-1 engines within a Program and even more if you stack those inside a combi.

Don't have any hands on experience with the NL3 but its perfectly feasible to replicate Nord 1/2 type sounds in the AL1 I've been able to clone a couple of patches I made on the Nord Lead 1 inside the AL Engine

Last edited by Kontrol49 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just remember in combi mode you can have up to 16 al-1' going at the same time,just imagine 16 layers,ever so slightly detuned from one another,

man, thats pretty powerful stuff.

I think that can replace any analog modeling keyboard.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jemkeys25 wrote:
just remember in combi mode you can have up to 16 al-1' going at the same time,just imagine 16 layers,ever so slightly detuned from one another,man, thats pretty powerful stuff.I think that can replace any analog modeling keyboard.

yes perfectly feasible...have to take the polyphony resources into account as well.
You could have 16 Instances in a combi,polyphony is 96 notes max with the AL1(Oasys),but this is also restricted by the type of Program structure your using inside that single program and any efx you may be using in the Combi slot too
ozy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
have to take the polyphony resources into account as well.You could have 16 Instances in a combi,polyphony is 96 notes max

meaning a "super-layer" "supersaw" with no effects would have a 8 voice polyphony.

That makes no sense, at 3000 or 4000 bucks.

A real analogue would match that sonic power with 1/10 the layers and at 1/3rd the price.

This is why I still don't get why the Kronos (and similar keyboards) waste power in vintage analogue modeling (digital generation and digital sound with analogue-style knobs, Virus style, is a totally different matter)

witholding power and money from brass, winds, vocal processing (still no harmonizer available on a Korg performance synth), eventually additive synthesis.

I am still waiting for the Kronos reference guide (or the real thing) in order to evaluate the sample+VA integration,

but layering 16 fake digital saw waves, "detuning" them until you get seasick, hoping to get "analogue fatness" out of that, is just a waste of processor power

to detriment of what ONLY a Kronos could do.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
Kontrol49 wrote:
have to take the polyphony resources into account as well.You could have 16 Instances in a combi,polyphony is 96 notes max

meaning a "super-layer" "supersaw" with no effects would have a 8 voice polyphony.

That makes no sense, at 3000 or 4000 bucks.

A real analogue would match that sonic power with 1/10 the layers and at 1/3rd the price.

This is why I still don't get why the Kronos (and similar keyboards) waste power in vintage analogue modeling (digital generation and digital sound with analogue-style knobs, Virus style, is a totally different matter)

witholding power and money from brass, winds, vocal processing (still no harmonizer available on a Korg performance synth), eventually additive synthesis.

I am still waiting for the Kronos reference guide (or the real thing) in order to evaluate the sample+VA integration,

but layering 16 fake digital saw waves, "detuning" them until you get seasick, hoping to get "analogue fatness" out of that, is just a waste of processor power

to detriment of what ONLY a Kronos could do.

From what I've heard and played of the Oasys and Legacy synths, layering in this manner is not necessary to achieve a convincing and playable analog-type sound in the real world. By real world, I mean mixed in a live or recording setting, like in a song. I don't mean played one note at a time very slowly while I A/B against my Mini while wearing $300 headphones in a studio environment. Sure, you'll be able to find some subtle differences...pros and cons to each.

Also, IMO I'd much rather have a few analog modeling synths to play with than any number of reed or brass models or vocal processing. By what the manufacturers have put out since they introduced such things, I'm guessing that the majority of the keyboard-playing world agrees with that, and thus makes perfect sense to include at $3k or $4k. That said, sure, I'm hopeful that Korg tosses more physical models into Kronos updates or other synths in the future. More options are better than less in this case, all other things being equal.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
...eventually additive synthesis.

With MOD-7, you have six sinewave oscillators under envelope control, along with velocity, pressure and all the other midi controllers. You'll have your additive synthesizer. If you want more harmonics, experiment with FM algorithms. Wink

And I'm with zeroesque on the quality of the VAs these days. While the Origin and Arturia's soft synths have taken me very close to those vintage transistorized real analogs, I still love my Radias and Virus for what they can deliver musically. While one day I intend to have an Andromeda, the Origin, Radias and Virus are making me very happy. And the Origin in particular, with synth elements from several different virtual analogs, does things nothing else will, other than a SCOPE system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: