Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is anyone really on the fence about the Kronos?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Is anyone really on the fence about the Kronos? Reply with quote

Is anyone still on the fence about the Kronos? Is anyone not certain if they will buy it or not? Could the Korg guys say anything that would change your mind at this point?

I could imagine that there are people that still need to play and hear it for themselves. I'm one of the pre-order people that are taking the mild risk that I won't like what I hear when I get it home.

What I can't imagine, though, is that getting one small feature further defined by a Korg employee would make or break the purchase of such a colossal synth.

Is anyone in that camp, though?

BTW, I'm not trying to poke fun at people for asking questions on the forum.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only fence I'm foreseeing is the European price.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Is anyone really on the fence about the Kronos? Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
I could imagine that there are people that still need to play and hear it for themselves. I'm one of the pre-order people that are taking the mild risk that I won't like what I hear when I get it home.

Well those with an Oasys,can relate to whats on offer,so your not buying or preordering based on Video/Audio demos alone.Theres plenty of Oasys Resources you can help in the quest of the correct purchase,I would have thought the idea of having that Technology and then some for a fraction of the Oasys would be enough to convince anyone and probably only enhance the decision

Having had the Oasys technology around for the past 6 years I'm sure most people buying are aware of what the Kronos can do and are simply not buying in blind faith.

In terms of getting it home and not liking it,not sure If I'm alone on this but whenever I have got a new synth it takes a few days to scour the machine and get used to its sounds,even something I have researched and demoed in a shop for a while before purchasing its taken a little time to fully warm to it once I've got it home.

The only device I never felt this with was the SV-1 and I think a lot of that is to do with the immediacy of the machine,When you have so many features to trawl its natural your going to feel a little overwhelmed until you've figured it out,and can recall being the same with the Oasys in that I wondered if I had made the right decision with such an outlay,some years later I wonder how I would have evolved without it.

I dare say there will be a few Kronos owners like that for a while.
thekeymaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes me.

Not because of the features or the quality as I have been lucky enough to have had this tech for 6 years too. My fence sitting is due to logistics and soul searching.I think the OASYS is still a cut above other workstations but of course the Kronos is giving me one hell of a headache and one I never thought I would be facing.I've said this in other topics but I always knew the OASYS would be replaced with something one day but I thought I had purchased this for a mighty long time.Sometimes manufacturers release new products but there is always a reason to keep hold of an earlier boutique product because they leave something off.

Instead Korg go and add more and then some,the only drawback is the not so beautiful hardware and a few omissions on outputs and inputs.I use my gear to make a living,I program,I produce and I play live ( a lot). The Kronos gives me a more mobile board to gig with,even at 88 notes which I so miss on the road.Plus the SSD appeals more than a HD with moving parts.I would love to be able to say I shall add Kronos to my set up but then I really would have no need for my OASYS to be lying around.

I really am sitting on the fence at this moment but not for technical reasons,I would say more for my own personal logistical purposes.We all have our problems don't we.

I will say this though, if any of you are undecided due to the quality that Kronos will produce and are coming from M1 through to Triton or M3 workstations there is no comparison. This thing will gleam out of your speakers.

Cake Muncher

Last edited by thekeymaster on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ozy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fence 0: reading the F manual (reference guide included) and understanding how extended is the cross-engine modularity. Otherwise I'd buy it as a stage piano... forget it

fence 1: listening to it, and evaluating sound

fence 2: rack mount or 76 semiweighted keys.

fence 3: anythong abpve 3000 euros (key) or 2000 (rack), forget it
robinkle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will await to see the price. I'm located in norway. No prices in any store unveiled. Hope to get the 73 key version for around 3500 euros. would be realistic. Otherwise I will wait and hope for the competition to make something huge as well.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:

It will most likely be above 3k, even for 61...
ozy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
ozy wrote:
It will most likely be above 3k, even for 61...

I don't know what the price will be (neither do you). Discussion on the point is absurd today.

I know what features I want and what I don't. Discussion on this is slightly more realistic, but mostly theoric as well until I read the reference guide anche check how the workings work.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, I'm the first one who would want 61 for less than 3000€. Laughing
iixorbiusii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, on the fence... Why? Apart from the fact like most of us, I've not played one (and only ever had a quick go on the OASYS), I have explored barely 10 % of the potential of my current 'modern' line up.

Also the absence of a key compositional feature (Cue List) makes me wonder how I'll actually arrange my songs.

Finally, price. I am without doubt that it's worth €3K...even €4K. But if the US are getting theirs for only $3K, and we're possibly going to pay the same value but in GBP or Euros, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iixorbiusii wrote:
Yes, on the fence... Why? Apart from the fact like most of us, I've not played one (and only ever had a quick go on the OASYS), I have explored barely 10 % of the potential of my current 'modern' line up.

Also the absence of a key compositional feature (Cue List) makes me wonder how I'll actually arrange my songs.

Finally, price. I am without doubt that it's worth €3K...even €4K. But if the US are getting theirs for only $3K, and we're possibly going to pay the same value but in GBP or Euros, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

this may not help the taste, but many of us pay outrageous amounts for basic health care. And thats a necessity
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only thing is pricing seems a little on the high side if $2,999 is the street price, i'm hoping for more around $2500. ah we'll see.

and health care isn't a necessity, thier only scaring you into thinking you need it, that way they can drive up cost and charge prices way out of line with the rest of the economy. healthcare is 17% of GDP, thats rediculous.

Last edited by jemkeys25 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:51 am; edited 2 times in total
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be ridiculous, $2800 for 61-key is an absolute no-brainer price for what you get in that package. You Americans should be happy because back overseas here in Europe we will never see such prices.
MoonMusic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, when it was announced if they would have had it ready to buy?...Yes, I would probably have one right now but this time they gave me to think about it has brought up a second possible option for me, anyway....I could buy a REALLY nice Macbook Pro with a SSD drive...Most of my programs are Mac compatible but I've never owned one...I'm really digging the ipad and the ipod touch too for that matter....I could hook my Apogee mini me up for a recording sound the Kronos could only dream of...Not to mention editing capabilities....Sure you could argue that if you include all the programs and extra hardware like the Apogee, the total comes in a good bit over $3000 but this is my personal view from where I am right now....I've already got LOT'S of money in software sitting around not getting used because I'm tired of my cheap PC crashing while trying to get something done...The Macbook Pro would tie all this together so I would hope anyway...I still have quite a few workstations sitting around too so I could always go back to plan B Smile
JimH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big make-or-break for me is the piano. And for that you need to play it in person. So I'll wait until I can try one out. I like the Yamaha piano sound. If the Kronos "Japanese Grand" can make me not miss my Yamaha S700 piano, then I'll most likely buy the 88 model. Yeah, I know it's a 4.7GB piano vs. a 53MB piano. But there are good samples and so-so samples and it's not necessarily all about the size.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: