Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You can import and edit wave sample in most computer DAW seq
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does there need to be an argument over "this versus that"? You use different tools for different parts of the job. If you feel obliged to use one solution to the mutual exclusion of the other...well, in either case, you're still presented by an embarrassment of riches.

Is the effects structure of a hardware synthesizer as flexible as a modern DAW? Perhaps not. But, it still beats the living daylights out of anything that was available to the engineers and artists who've made some of the most seminal recordings of our collective musical culture. And, in the right hands, a Korg sequencer is capable of producing some very pleasing results for a final mix...all with the stability and reliability of a purely hardware solution.

On the other hand, the "in the box" method offers complete scalability - from a home/project studio to world-class recording facility. But, it's only as good as its weakest link. As mentioned above, A/D conversion, mics, mic preamps, in-line hardware processing and/or software plug-ins - all play a vital role in determining the quality of the final product. Not to mention the talent of the artist, the producer and the engineer(s).

Just by way of illustration, this is a track that I sequenced in the "lowly" M50 - complete with its compressed samples and maximum 80 voice polyphony. The backing track was mixed completely in the keyboard. The track was then transferred to the computer for the purpose of adding the vocal. Just a bit of EQ on the stereo backing and a dash of iZotope Ozone on the master track.

By the way, this is not an original song, nor do I claim that this is a commercial-quality mix. (It's purely a "home recording")
But, as a demo, I'm sufficiently pleased with the result. The song is from 1966 and was a hit for The Left Banke:

"Pretty Ballerina"

Different tools for different parts of the job. They aren't mutually exclusive. For live performance, I use a mono version of this track minus the piano part which is played live. The mix is hard-panned to the left, the right channel reserved for the click track. Keyboard and computer live happily together.
nowtime

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am constanly dissappointed by advertised software and hardware. I've learned to expect the least possible workable features. Then I can be happy! Very Happy

I am buying the Kronos for the Set List screen. It is shocking how long it has taken for this most obvious feature to be included in Korg's workstations (not sure how it is for Roland and Yamaha). Organization of vast libraries of presets for players is numero uno!

That's a lot of cash for such a feature, but it's that important. Anything it does over and beyond that will be cherries on top.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: You can import and edit wave sample in most computer DAW Reply with quote

Reggmail wrote:
If I was going to buy a workstation type of setup, it would be this over the Kronos iKeyDock for Mac Mini, PowerMac and PCs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaeBj7lcyfQ
StudioBLADE 88 - Simply the Best Keyboard Production Station http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnbmihJ0xr0&feature=related

I wouldn't. Those keyboards have the M-Audio Keystation ES keybeds in them. As a keyboardist I want a quality keybed. I am still not convinced they are any better than a separate keyboard controller, computer and audio interface. I do commend MusicComputing for their prices which are significantly lower than OpenLabs models. I also don't like the fact I would have to buy without trying it out in a store first.

Reggmail wrote:

I agree, the smoke and the awe is starting to clear with the Kronos, at $3000 it will be obsolete when it's release in comparison to what you could buy with a computer and software + controller.

You are completely wrong and obviously are not a candidate for any type of keyboard workstation.

I have tons of music software (DAWs, VSTs, sample libraries) but I still like the idea of a product with tons of great integrated sounds. I especially like the midi generators (arpeggiators, Karma) that workstations have and software products have never duplicated.

Reggmail wrote:

Korg is playing by their old tricks and rules avoiding many questions and lots of concerns that people have about Kronos. ( The fad will turn into frustration very fast after purchase of the Kronos)

Wrong. Korg is trying to finish the product.

Workstations are obviously not for you. Why are you even posting here?

Last edited by MartinHines on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:40 am; edited 3 times in total
Lando

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: You can import and edit wave sample in most computer DAW Reply with quote

Reggmail wrote:

Flash & The Pan
I agree, the smoke and the awe is starting to clear with the Kronos, at $3000 it will be obsolete when it's release in comparison to what you could buy with a computer and software + controller.

Have to dissagree with you here. Having used my setup with a Macbook Pro, Yamaha S90ES as keyboard, Ultralite MK3, Main Stage and various synths/Romplers/Sound banks like Omnisphere, Ivory and Vienna live for the last year I will definitly buy Kronos when its here . My setup is way more expensive than a Kronos, but more importantly it's not as reliable as a Hardware synth.

As a live musician I've longed for a synth like this for at least 10 years, tried the Receptor when it came out but finally "gave up" and used a computer, but the stress of it not working (which it sometimes didn't do, and this was on live television) is very taxing and takes a lot of focus away from what should be the only important thing: the music.

Will I do any sampling or recording on it? No way, I will still do it on the computer, but I trust it will playback the samples I've done in my DAW and sound amazing playing it's own sounds or external librarys!

Whoever says this is not somewhat of a game changer, have surely not struggled with the alternatives as much as me.

That beeing said: StudioBlade looks great and to me it seems they have a great thing going there, but I highly doubt it will be as reliable or easy to work with as the Kronos when it comes to live usage.
Devnor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already have the macbook & great interface & killer synth plugins but still want the synthesizer why? Its the immediacy of going right to sound I want, grab a controller its already setup. I suppose I could recreate all this in Mainstage but who has the time? I don't understand the need for 4 gig 8 layer sounds and I suppose the Kronos/Motif isnt capable enough for some folks - hell I just want to put together some interesting chords.

I bought my Kronos for the setlist mode too (since sold my Motif XF7). All I really wanted to do was seemlessly switch between sounds with a footswitch. That was too big a request for the Yamaha folks to comprehend. Thank you Korg.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: You can import and edit wave sample in most computer DAW Reply with quote

Lando wrote:
Whoever says this is not somewhat of a game changer, have surely not struggled with the alternatives as much as me.

I agree... The Kronos is actually very similar to the Oasys, but the Game Changer here is the fact they will propose it for the same or similar price of a M3 or Motif XF. They bring to mass market the technology of the Oasys with some improvement (SSD, better screen, lighter, smaller, etc...).

There's for sure so missing (such pad or great LED for faders and knobs), but in the end, Korg guys definitely mark their position about how they see the future. No more "old-school" keyboard based on dedicated chips and dsp... They already could re-use a large part of the Oasys OS for the Kronos, so there's no secret they could do the same for the next years to come now and then focus all efforts and R&D time/money for new real improvement and not just re-designing everything from scratch or being limited by the internal architecture.... so, it's a game changer.

Quote:
That beeing said: StudioBlade looks great and to me it seems they have a great thing going there, but I highly doubt it will be as reliable or easy to work with as the Kronos when it comes to live usage.

They surely won't be... even if they come to the same level Open Labs did, they still missed some important details.... the same way Open Labs never included Midi integration (Midi CC support), Memory management, Voices allocation, never had a values feedback from the OS to the LCD display and LEDs (no dual way communication), etc... I did fight a lot to have some features for live users (such the smooth transition, touchscreen friendly vst host such RiFF, etc...) but some features never came up on the top of the priorities list Sad

From what I saw for the StudioBlade, they apparently do the same mistakes...

So on stage, the Kronos will be way better, and at home or in studio, there's a DAW with better master keyboard controller anyway... I want use the Kronos for the Studio too, as a complement to my setup for composing, producing and sound design...

The last 5 years or so, I had Triton Extreme 76, Motif 8, Oasys 88, neKo XXL (even a neKo 76 back in the days), miKo Timbaland, DBeat, Receptor, Fantom-X, M3 and so on...

Today? Even if I still do have some gear at the studio (Moog, Virus, 808, 909 and stuff), I'm mainly working only on Mac now (8 cores Mac Pro at the studio and iMac 27" with MacMinis at home)... and what I cruelly missed the most is my Oasys only... so the Kronos 88 will fit the job pretty well Smile

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: