Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DAW Integration questions (for Dan, Rich or Jerry)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: DAW Integration questions (for Dan, Rich or Jerry) Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I was just wondering few questions about the DAW Integration:

1) Can you confirm it will also be available in RTAS for Mac?

2) Will we get Midi & Audio over the USB cable between the DAW and the Kronos (i.e. Use the Kronos as master controller to record in the DAW with the 16 parts of the Kronos and have them back on 16 Audio Tracks to mix them down with the rest of our audio tracks and plugs)?

3) Will the DAW integration will allow Sound Editing or will we need an external Editor application?

4) From the Editor, could we edit the Karma patterns?

5) Could we have access to the "user" folder of the SSD over the USB, to transfer samples?

That's it for now...

Thanks in advance,
Phil
robinkle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know this as well. Smile
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question #2
--------------
According to the posted specs, the Kronos can input and output 2 audio channels via its USB-B connection to a computer (24-bit, 48Khz).

The Kronos can output a maximum of 6 audio channels via its analog ouputs (L/Mono, R) and Invididual 1-4. Therefore if you used the USB connection ONLY as a midi transmitter, you could theorectically have 6 analog audio tracks coming back into your computer host sequencer.

Question #3
--------------
According to "features" on the Korg USA website there appear to be two different computer applications (1)Kronos Editor software -- "sounds and settings can be edited directly from your computer" and (2) Kronos Plug-in Editor. What is not clear is whether these programs must run separately or whether you can access the editor software within the plug-in editor.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Martin, but:

#2:
Using the Kronos as an Audio Interface doesn't mean you will access to the 16 parts over the USB such the Virus TI... It actually means we could get up to 6 analog audio tracks from the Kronos I/O to the computer... Nothing is mentioned about Kronos Engines to the computer... (So, I guess, there's probably none... which would be sad Sad ).

#3:
Ok for having two different applications. But could we manipulate sounds from Kronos or just remote control the Kronos? For me, it's two different types of plugins... One is just like the M3, and the other is more like the Virus TI (which goes way deeper).

From the vague description so far, I would conclude to nothing more than an "Remote" plugin... in that case, well, nothing really interesting then... because it won't be integrated to the DAW. I will still need I/O to transfer my Kronos Sounds to my DAW, and I can't get 16 individual parts since the Kronos doesn't have ADAT, etc...

From Rich's demos, he said with the USB, you can access from the computer to the 16 Kronos sounds and have access to all your sounds, 9 synthesis, and all Kronos Synth power...

Phil
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: DAW Integration questions (for Dan, Rich or Jerry) Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:

If Korg follows their usual pattern, the Karma editing software will be handled by Stephen Kay. A separate product not included with the Kronos.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
KapnKrunch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: From the latest Korg ProView catalog Reply with quote

Here's an excerpt from the Korg ProView catalog just published:

KRONOS can send MIDI signals to and from your computer via USB. Using the KRONOS Editor software (free download), sounds and settings can be edited directly from your computer. The KRONOS Plug-in Editor (free download) lets you use KRONOS from within many popular DAW systems, as if it were a plug-in instrument. KRONOS can also be used as an audio I/O for your computer, sending and receiving two channels of audio via USB.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KapnKrunch and thanks for the excerpt.

Unfortunately, I might be stubborn, there isn't very clear info the DAW integration.

"... as if it were a plug-in instrument... ", in my point of view, it really means I don't need any I/O connection and I will get all of the 16 parts as any of my "plug-in instrument"

But

"... sending and receiving two channels of audio via USB...", again in my point of view, means we will only get the Master L&R or we will need to individually mixdown each part... (So, it isn't like a plug-in then).

I would really appreciate some lights from Korg on that Smile

Phil
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
#3:
Ok for having two different applications. But could we manipulate sounds from Kronos or just remote control the Kronos? For me, it's two different types of plugins... One is just like the M3, and the other is more like the Virus TI (which goes way deeper).

M3 = editor
TI = editor

Very similar, actually. What's the difference that you're thinking of?
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
danatkorg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:

"... as if it were a plug-in instrument... ", in my point of view, it really means I don't need any I/O connection and I will get all of the 16 parts as any of my "plug-in instrument"

But

"... sending and receiving two channels of audio via USB...", again in my point of view, means we will only get the Master L&R or we will need to individually mixdown each part... (So, it isn't like a plug-in then).

If a stereo output means it doesn't act like a plug-in, then I guess most of my plug-ins don't act like plug-ins, either! Smile

Yes, the USB output carries the Master L/R signal. So, you can record the KRONOS stereo output directly to the computer.

It would be nice to provide more audio channels over USB. This wasn't practical to implement, at least for version 1.0.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
danatkorg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: DAW Integration questions (for Dan, Rich or Jerry) Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
Hi guys,

I was just wondering few questions about the DAW Integration:

1) Can you confirm it will also be available in RTAS for Mac?

No: VST and AU. RTAS *might* be possible via a wrapper.

SpIdErWeB wrote:
3) Will the DAW integration will allow Sound Editing or will we need an external Editor application?

The editor functions both as a standalone app and as a plug-in. You can use either one.

SpIdErWeB wrote:

The editor supports the same KARMA parameters as the onboard UI. For editing GEs, you'll still need Stephen Kay's KARMA KRONOS software.

SpIdErWeB wrote:
5) Could we have access to the "user" folder of the SSD over the USB, to transfer samples?

That would be nice, but it's not supported.

Hope this helps!

- Dan

Edit: removed hanging quote.

Last edited by danatkorg on Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Dan, it helps a lot Very Happy

Thanks!!

Quote:
Very similar, actually. What's the difference that you're thinking of?

What I tried to explain is the difference between an Editor (to remotely control the keyboard, directly from the DAW with a plugin Editor), and having the Editor AND the direct streaming from the Keyboard to the Computer over the USB.

Apparently you do 2 channels Master L&R, which is already nice, don't get me wrong, but of course, it would be even better to get 16 Channels, to have access directly to the audio of the 16 Parts on top of controlling them directly with the Plugin Editor.

I do understand there's some work to get it and it was perhaps not possible for version 1.0, but that's a real bonus for Studio work, mainly since the Kronos doesn't have digital multi-channel outs (such ADAT) to avoid any loss with DA/AD convertors.

I don't try to blame you or Korg, trust me, I do understand you definitely can't do everything for a version 1.0... I know it Smile
if you try to include everything you probably already have on your wishlist, it will take for ever to develop and the keyboard would never been released... so sometimes we have to start somewhere.

So, it's good to know what we get and what we wish for, such Total Integration (16 Channels Streaming over USB), the SSD access, or even RTAS version (since I do work on ProTools)... It's worth and harmless to mention them Smile

my 2 cents
Phil
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: DAW Integration questions (for Dan, Rich or Jerry) Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
SpIdErWeB wrote:

Hope this helps!

- Dan

That's it for now...

Thanks in advance,
Phil
But we are still able to copy wav files and similar from an Usb-mem stick to the internal SDD disc to play back them with disk mode or to load them as user samples at start up?

danatkorg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: DAW Integration questions (for Dan, Rich or Jerry) Reply with quote

Jon Lord wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
SpIdErWeB wrote:

Hope this helps!

- Dan

That's it for now...

Thanks in advance,
Phil
But we are still able to copy wav files and similar from an Usb-mem stick to the internal SDD disc to play back them with disk mode or to load them as user samples at start up?

Hi Jon,

Yes and yes.

- Dan
Michael Blue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one patiently awaiting a video demo of how this operates as a "plug-in"?
Looking at Access' Virus TI system, I'm hopeful of what current technology is capable of, but unsure whether Korg has taken it to the same level.

Please help. Smile

~M
Korg Triton Rack | Korg X3R | E-MU Planet Earth
Yamaha DX7 (for sale) | Siel DK80 | Yamaha Upright Piano
StudioOne Pro | Spectrasonics Omnisphere | Trilian
Cinematic Guitars | EZ Drummer | Steve Slate Drums
Formerly Korg OASYS 76 #000344
robinkle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Blue wrote:
Am I the only one patiently awaiting a video demo of how this operates as a "plug-in"?
Looking at Access' Virus TI system, I'm hopeful of what current technology is capable of, but unsure whether Korg has taken it to the same level.

Please help. Smile

~M

+1 Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: