Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question about pianos
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsuhon wrote:
To xmlguy: I certainly meant no disrespect and I apologize if I came across that way (which I obviously did). that's why i said I meant no offense and i appreciated all the input I was getting in my earlier post. But you are absolutely correct, i am bitching, but bitching is not the only reason i'm here. I guess i'm just frustrated by not being able to get what i want in a piano from the m50. You are probably also correct when you say i'm not able to describe the sound. So, again, I do apologize. I was out of line. i didn't come to this forum to make enemies and i do appreciate you're effort to help me.

I understand and appreciate your frustration. I think you may yet find it worthwhile to explore the nature of what disappoints you about the sound. The more precisely that you can pin down those characteristics, then the better you'll be able to evaluate how you might be able to bend them to your will. It may not be possible with the M50, I'm not sure, since I don't know what you're looking for anymore than you do. In this case, diagnosis, exploration, and evaluation by breaking the sound down into individual elements can help to identify the specific characteristics that are making the difference to you. Once you've identifed those characteristics, then you will be in a much better position to see whether or not the M50 engine can be tweaked to achieve them better. Regardless of the M50, breaking down a sound into fine detail can help you tweak the sounds to improve any piano, on any synth, even ones you already like.

Hybrid ROMplers like the M50 are inherently limited to the waveforms on board, and I think we all know that acoustic pianos sound different from each other, even the same models, so samples of them will be different for that reason alone, besides the wide variations due to how the sampling was done. Sometimes the synth engine can help to improve results you get with a multisample, but there are definitely limits about what can be done. Workstations that sample or that can use new multisamples, like your TR, have a big advantage over ROMplers like the M50 or X50 when the samples just aren't going to work. That's why I don't "push" romplers when a sampler is needed. You probably should stick to samplers, at least unless you're happy with all the sounds that are most important to you in the ROM. I look forward to the day when ROMplers disappear entirely to be replaced by FLASHplers.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: question about pianos Reply with quote

mocando wrote:
I'm no Korg engineer, but I bet you can make every MS or PS60 sound on the M50 and not the other way around.

That's my understanding as well... though it is possible that the MS and PS60 could have a handful of unique multisamples, developed subsequent to the M3/M50, I don't know.

Regardless, even if the "raw material" is there to create any of those sounds on an M50, it doesn't mean that most people necessarily have the ability to do it. At a minimum, I guess you'd want to have the MS/PS60 next to it to have a reference sound to aim for. Then I guess you could find something close, open the sounds in a computer based editor, and copy the editing parameters, and see if that gets you there. I wonder if that would be enough, or if you'd still need some additional "ears" and programming skills to really duplicate the sound.
Korglee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That particular patch on the MS (A. Piano) sounds really good.
When I first got the keyboard, I sequenced the song "Maybe I'm Amazed" using the 'Pop' template and the L/R Piano patch. When I had finished I scrolled through the different piano programs while playing the sequence back and A. Piano made that track and really the whole song come alive.
Haven't played out with the MS yet, but I bet that patch will really cut through.
Naethryn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargamel314
Quote:
question -

Have you tried the "mono piano" sample in the M50? I know the M3 has a mono version of the original M3's piano which is similar to the OASYS's... which is what the TR's is based on. You might try taking the TR's piano program, loading in all of the program settings onto an M50 program, and then calling up the mono piano multisound in the new patch... that would give you a TR-like piano prog.

just a thought

its not my arguement and i have no problem with my m50 piano sounds but it seems like if this was posted first, all of this coulda been avoided lol Smile
guillex

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Korg Tr 76 before, and the piano sound was almost the mainly reason to sell it. Now, I have an M50, It doen't have a good piano sound also, BUT, there are more samples, its better programmed, more layers, so I spent enough hours adjusting some settings and now I have the sound that I wan't. Personally I don't like at all what I listen in pianos of Kim. But It's just a question of "taste"...

I think that you should try to tweak more the sounds, choose the one that sounds more near to what you have in mind, and take a look to the TONE ADJUST parameters, and most of all to EQ and all the IFX that you can add.

Regards!
sullycq

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to throw my two cents in...
I had a problem with the piano sounds on the M50 where I had to re-EQ the piano sound (also some other sounds) for every gig. Eventually I made different patches for different types of venues.

I also found that the velocity sensitivity caused problems in the mix for me (soft playing got lost, hard playing was too harsh). Changing the settings here made an improvement.

I noticed that you like the M1 piano sound and the mono piano sound on the M50, (please let me know if I'm wrong) but I don't think these have a lot of velocity switching. So, looking into the velocity switching and maybe making different EQ settings for different venues might help. It worked for me.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: