Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

61, 76, or 88 keys?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citizen Klaus wrote:
Kronos-73 is E to E

good. guitar players will buy it en masse,

then will dump it after 3 months, and that will make a used mint condition kronos more affordable than a used Oasys.

good.

another step closer to buying one.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think E to E isn't the problem at all... We don't always play in C, do you?
In fact, when playing in band I most often play in E with guitarists...

The main problem is having only a 61 keys for Synth Touch, which is actually an 'in between' size... Too big for a second keyboard with one hand, but too short for playing both hand (bass & lead).

That's why the 73 or 76 Synth Touch keyboard makes sense to me.

Phil
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citizen Klaus wrote:
Kronos-73 is E to E, just like the 73-key version of the SV-1.

And for what it's worth, that's a layout with historical precedent: the 73-key versions of the Fender Rhodes were also laid out E to E. So it's not just converted guitarists who might gravitate to that configuration.

That makes sense for an instrument like the SV-1, but it makes much less sense for a synth workstation like the Kronos.

SpIdErWeB wrote:
I think E to E isn't the problem at all... We don't always play in C, do you?
In fact, when playing in band I most often play in E with guitarists...

The key you play in is not the problem.

Even the guitar player is not a problem Razz

A 76 semi weighted keys kb has become a standard de facto. If you need a synth action type kb with more than 61 keys, you're probably used to play on a Korg Trinity PRO (76 semi weighted keys), a Korg Triton PRO (76 semi weighted keys), a Yamaha EX5 (76 semi weighted keys), a Yamaha MOTIF 7 (76 semi weighted keys), a Roland Fantom 7 (76... well, get the hint?) and you probably don't want a 73 piano action keys kb simply because you want to keep your landmarks...

Last edited by EXer on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
Citizen Klaus wrote:
Kronos-73 is E to E, just like the 73-key version of the SV-1.

And for what it's worth, that's a layout with historical precedent: the 73-key versions of the Fender Rhodes were also laid out E to E. So it's not just converted guitarists who might gravitate to that configuration.

That makes sense for an instrument like the SV-1, but it makes much less sense for a synth workstation like the Kronos.

From a charitable perspective, one could read the E-to-E hammer-action 73 as Korg's attempt to synergize with the Kronos' new EP-1 electric piano modeling engine.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
A 76 semi weighted keys kb has become a standard de facto. If you need a synth action type kb with more than 61 keys, you're probably used to play on a Korg Trinity PRO (76 semi weighted keys), a Korg Triton PRO (76 semi weighted keys), a Yamaha EX5 (76 semi weighted keys), a Yamaha MOTIF 7 (76 semi weighted keys), a Roland Fantom 7 (76... well, get the hint?) and you probably don't want a 73 piano action keys kb simply because you want to keep your landmarks...

Well, I do agree for the 76 remarks... However, I think there's two types of usages (as previously mentioned).

1-) Piano, EP kind of keyboard with the 73 and 88 keys
2-) Synth, Organ kind of keyboard with the 61 and 76 keys

73 keys could make sense to me, in a certain way since the Kronos is also a great "Live Keyboard" and has a nice EP sound engine. However, it won't replace the Synth Action for people used to the 76 models.

Also, I wanted to mention there's "Semi-Weighted" and "Semi-Hammer-Weighted". I have no problem at all with semi-weighted (which is actually just a description) such the Triton, Motif, Fantom, etc...

But I do hate the "Semi-Hammer" style such the old Kurzweil and other manufactures I can't remind.

Phil
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB I do not have the experience to understand the diff between semi weighted and semi hammer weighted.

Citizen Klaus Thanks since I have no long lasting experience with either I won't sweat the difference and just work with it. I don't see finger fatigue becoming a problem so I am not to worried about that either.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Semi-Weighted synth action keyboard is what we're used to in the M3-61, Triton 76, Motif 61-76, Fantom 61-76, etc...

The Semi-Hammer (but I'm even not sure it's the real name), it's a kind of Hammer touch, but with lighter weights... It actually just feels like a very bad cheap Hammer touch in my honest opinion. I really dislike this kind of keybed...

Phil
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would also prefer a "normal" C-C configuration.

Too much focus on guitarists these days, as if they are the ones making great music, when mostly they just have long hair, don't shower and smoke pot all day.

Ah, it feels great to stereotype people Smile
robinkle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
Yeah, I would also prefer a "normal" C-C configuration.

Too much focus on guitarists these days, as if they are the ones making great music, when mostly they just have long hair, don't shower and smoke pot all day.

Ah, it feels great to stereotype people Smile

They are only guitarists because they only manage one sound and one melody at a time. :X
ozy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[guitarists mostly just have long hair, don't shower and smoke pot all day

and sleep with the drummer's girlfriend and split the group. You didn't mention that.

And are always late. Always.

And don't get me started on volume controls...

It's not "stereotypes". It's basic zoology.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you choose 73 keys, E to E makes perfect sense for any keyboarder with a bit of electric band experience.

C to C is a retarded pianist phenomenon (like the whole silly C centered view), and Harold Rhodes was the first to leave that outdated concept 40 years ago.
I would not even consider buying a C to C 73 keyboard!

Now let's boogie, it's so boring to wait for the Kronos release. Laughing
ozy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
the whole silly C centered view

agree.

My keyboard sets are always F-centered.

That way

1) I don't look silly, outdated and male-fascistically-Westernly C-centered

2) I can drive guitar players crazy nonetheless. Cool

It looks like Eb is something they hate as much as toothpaste and slow food.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are all three keyboards E-E? I guess one good thing about being new to this is, things like this don't bother me!

I will apologize to all of you now but it would be great if Korg put the release off a few more months, maybe December, not so hard a wait for me then since it will be that long until I am in a position to consider buying! Wink

Like I said in another thread, maybe this time when I am ready for the piece of gear I have my sights on it won't be discontinued when I go to get it!
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
Are all three keyboards E-E? I guess one good thing about being new to this is, things like this don't bother me!

No. The 61-key is C-to-C, and the 88-key is A-to-C, following the conventions for organ/polysynth and piano, respectively.

Last edited by Citizen Klaus on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:

I will apologize to all of you now but it would be great if Korg put the release off a few more months, maybe December, not so hard a wait for me then since it will be that long until I am in a position to consider buying! Wink

Like I said in another thread, maybe this time when I am ready for the piece of gear I have my sights on it won't be discontinued when I go to get it!

:LOL:

its a game changer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: