Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Korg release free sample libraries for Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
The KRONOS has the same IFX/MFX/TFX effects as the OASYS.

Can't we use the new effects from the EP-1 with any IFX/MFX/TFX?

Phil
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
danatkorg wrote:

Phil

I suspect that the EP-1 effects will work like those on the CX-3: they'll be treated as EXi fixed resources (or whatever the Kronos' equivalent will be), separate from the IFX/MFX/TFX. However, they won't be directly usable by non-EP-1 programs unless the effects are also included in the master IFX/MFX/TFX list.

(All of the CX-3's effects happen to be included in the OASYS' master effects list, so this is a bit of a moot point in that respect. However, if the EP-1 engine includes new effects, then those likely won't be available to other programs if the master effects list truly remains unchanged.)
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
danatkorg wrote:

Phil

I agree that this would be desirable, but in the initial release at least, the effects are only available within the EP-1.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with both Cello and Dan -

As per Cello - we've had our fair share of heated debates on the OASYS forum over how 'upgradable' OASYS should have been. I believe Korg were generous, others did not - but we generally concluded (whether willingly or begrudgingly) - buy your instrument for what it offers out of the box, not for future possibilities.

That said, as Dan has pointed out - OASYS users received quite substantial freebies - including STR-1. the Program and Combi sets are among the very best for HD-1 and the other synth engines - and for me the jewel in the crown is the 780 Effects Presets. They literally revolutionized my use of the Effects engines - the expertise buried in these alone is priceless.

Remember also that the M3 got a major free overhaul, So there's every reason to suspect that Kronos will receive some very valuable updates.

Finally, while the concept of updates by Clavia is interesting, their initial sample sets were nothing short of junk - it really was incumbent on them to update them (and IMO their range of stage and Electro pianos are probably the worst sounding of all the stage piano type instrument out today by a country mile). The Piano on Kronos alone will contain multiples of the samples capacity of ALL Clavia pianos on their instruments.

Kevin.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have indeed Kevin! But thankfully still pals...

Just to clarify (for the avoidance of doubt) - the OASYS remains an amazing feat of musical engineering which brings me joy every day. Yes, the updates you refer to, and as Dan has stated, were excellent.

Additionally, the Kronos has to be amazing too because of that incredible heritage.

Just wanted to make those statements and note, without repeating my probably well-known views! Just felt I hadn't made it clear that I also have strong views about just how magnificent the OASYS is and Kronos will be. The OASYS for me is simply the best of the best.

Also have to say, that the VAST array of sounds and possible sounds should keep even the most demanding appetites satisfied for years.

The valuable lesson I have learned courtesy of the exchange of views on this forum - buy it for what it does today (goes for any keyboard from any manufacturer). With the Kronos (knowing the OASYS), that's a monumental amount, straight out of the box.
SpIdErWeB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Dan Smile
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Hedegaard wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
I think the update history of the OASYS may be being understated here. Updates to the OASYS since the initial release included:......

Best regards,

Dan

Yes and they were all great things, without a doubt, for which I think all Oasys users are very happy about.

But we lost out on the EXf, which was highly promoted compared to all the other things.........

Did the EXf make its way onto the Kronos?
(Yes or no would be nice to hear from you)

Best regards,

Dan

Thanks for replying, but I think you misunderstood me.

I mean, the EXf which was initially planned for the Oasys as an add-on, did that make its way onto the Kronos in some form or other?

Herein lies my thoughts that perhaps its the effects of the EP-1 or the ambient drums which should have been for the Oasys as the EXf addon?

Please answer my question this time, but sticking to the subject Smile
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedegaard wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
Hedegaard wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
I think the update history of the OASYS may be being understated here. Updates to the OASYS since the initial release included:......

Best regards,

Dan

Yes and they were all great things, without a doubt, for which I think all Oasys users are very happy about.

But we lost out on the EXf, which was highly promoted compared to all the other things.........

Did the EXf make its way onto the Kronos?
(Yes or no would be nice to hear from you)

Best regards,

Dan

I mean, the EXf which was initially planned for the Oasys as an add-on, did that make its way onto the Kronos in some form or other?

Herein lies my thoughts that perhaps its the effects of the EP-1 or the ambient drums which should have been for the Oasys as the EXf addon?

I'm sorry that I was unclear; I was directly answering your question. We had various ideas for EXf, but none were implemented for the OASYS, and none of these are in the KRONOS either.

The ambient drums are samples (overheads, close room mics, far room mics), as opposed to effects.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
AK-Jake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great info, Dan. I'm gonna hold the hate until I actually PLAY the Kronos. Cool
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
We have indeed Kevin! But thankfully still pals...

absolutely... OASYS/KRONOS MIDI/Audio and electron 'flows' are even thicker than blood - even debating wars cannot break our shared, obsessive passion for these modern keyboard marvels.

Kevin.
Hedegaard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Hedegaard wrote:

I'm sorry that I was unclear; I was directly answering your question. We had various ideas for EXf, but none were implemented for the OASYS, and none of these are in the KRONOS either.

The ambient drums are samples (overheads, close room mics, far room mics), as opposed to effects.

- Dan

Great! Thanks very much for the direct answer.
It's great to finally know at least something about the EXf!
It certainly would have been a beneficial update to the Oasys.
I had imagined some more added effect types initially, but after Kronos, then I thought it would be the effects for the EP-1 e.t.c.
Thanks for clarifying!
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be happy with the stock kronos, any extra goodies will be icing on the cake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: