Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charles Ferraro - Headflux - January 11th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Charles Ferraro - Headflux - January 11th Reply with quote

So I'm prematurely submitting this. I can tell you right now that I need more variance in the melody and I plan on adding a hoover bass during the last section. My buddy told me to eq the drums (think he said to give the kick more bass). Let me hear your guys' thoughts.

Its an IDM piece.

http://soundcloud.com/anomybourgeoisis/headflux

btw if I have 'midi write' on and play with the radias arp step on/off switches will it play back in the same manner if driven from the cubase sequencer? I think i remember reading a post on this; that the radias can dump performance info like that.

Most of these sounds are coming from the radias btw

the song was inspired off this article: http://www.soundstosample.com/blog/how-to/big-up-your-breaks
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of really cool things jumping out and around, yes, I think better effects on the drums would make a big difference. On the m3 there are compressors that have pre-sets for adding more punch to kick and snare etc and I use those all the time now, and the drums have to be mixed fairly loud if it is to be 'dance' music per se. So that may give you a stronger frame for all the other fun stuff. Also, it seems it could use more focus. I like more repetition for music that is going to be dance friendly, so maybe stretch out some of the strongest portions and let our ears settle in to certain licks that could work as themes. If it changes up constantly, we can't anticipate where it's going. That's why often I'll start out with a fairly simple loop and then keep adding and layering more and more until at the end you hear the original loop but the melodies and counter melodies all layered and working together at the end. That's just my technique I often use and not what you have to do necessarily. But a bit more focus and mastering and you have a cool song to listen to I believe.
album cover
Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love listening to IDM. And yeah, definitely add some more power and volume to those drum rhythms and cymbals. It seems a little quiet. I also agree with George that you should probably stretch some of your strongest portions, and then you can add in those cool effects and different beats after each set of measures. That could add a lot to the song.

Also I think that the main melody here could be lowered an octave or two. And yeah, you could add some variations with the melody as you transpose up and down throughout the song. You can experiment with that and see how it works.

But again I think the drums and cymbals should have more power and should be a bit louder. So work with that first. I'd like to see how it turns out. Smile
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool. A bit under-produced I think though. The rhythm element could be a bit more present.

I also thought that there could be more progression. Or it could go on for longer. Or both. Seems quite short and static at this point. Its a good place to start though.

I like all those strange sounds, and obviously that you got all these sounds from the Radias. Cool
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
joet63

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charles, Good song man, I like the dance feel to it and like the others, (George and Joe), have said it could be a bit longer, but a good tune none the less. The effects are great and need only to be more of! Kepp up the good work Charles!

joe
Reason 5, Record 1.5, KLC 1.2v, Korg MS2000, BR, Korg Electribe Series Mk11, Roland JV1080, Novation A Station, Novation Bass Station, Evolution 49 M/Controller, Yamaha PSR295,300,DSR 2000, E/Acoustic CPX900, Epiphone Sheraton, Suzuki Acoustic Guitar,
Washburn RB2500 Bass Guitar, Akai Pro ME30PII, Fostex Mixer, Korg DS-10, Korg PadKontrol.

www.myspace.com/joethompson63
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi My Friend!!

Great sound Would have liked to hear maybe an ambient ground sound as an intro maybe / ?

Great electronics and a lot of rhythmic interests but need more strength in the mix...

The sound entrance at 1:25 is good but might have been repeated a bit before the melodic content in the next bit... ..

The close also might have moved into an ambient and lessening phase for perhaps 10 sec or so at the end... overall.... LONGER (note other members comments)

I agree it needs more production (like all of mine Idea ) and also the length, as noted. It has however a good feel overall and just needs a FEW additions , and added last section perhaps and the issues as pointed out already by George and Pumkin to be MUCH stronger...

Good work; I know VERY little about this genre but find it quite interesting

Thanks for this one!!

Regards, Johnny, John, ellll ... Very Happy
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave this one quite a few listens and keep hearing more and more things that are happening! You're very creative and you should continue to build on what you have here, and perhaps do more with the eq on the bass.

Thanks also for the link to the big-up-your-breaks article!

Regards from
Dee
sewa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgeinar wrote:
Also, it seems it could use more focus. I like more repetition for music that is going to be dance friendly, so maybe stretch out some of the strongest portions and let our ears settle in to certain licks that could work as themes. If it changes up constantly, we can't anticipate where it's going. That's why often I'll start out with a fairly simple loop and then keep adding and layering more and more until at the end you hear the original loop but the melodies and counter melodies all layered and working together at the end.

+1 my feelings exactly
ronbo27
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Charles......I don`t know how these pieces are put together and what the process involves......that doesn`t matter to me because there are talented folks here who do and can offer innovative and constructive ideas on this.....suffice it to say, I appreciate and enjoy the opportunity to listen to creative people, such as yourself, and your music. This will certainly evolve as you work through the suggestions from the helpful folks here and your own ideas as well.
CHEERS!
Ron Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: