Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Organizing Favorite Sounds On M50
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nitekatt2010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Organizing Favorite Sounds On M50 Reply with quote

Hey. I just watched one of the great Korg USA youtube videos by Rich F who demonstrated how to set up and save your favorite programs in Combi Bank D.

The video also shows how to set up a pedal to control sound changes and Vertical setups.

But I couldn't seem to find a way to also save various fav Combis along with the programs in Combi D bank. Is there a way to do that also?

Thanks

Katt
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean ? You can save Combis in a combi bank, and programs in a program bank. You can't save both on the same bank, is not intended to work that way.

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
nitekatt2010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Sounds Reply with quote

mocando wrote:
What do you mean ? You can save Combis in a combi bank, and programs in a program bank. You can't save both on the same bank, is not intended to work that way.

You can save any program in Combi D as a user's bank, but I can't find a way to save Combis from other banks into Bank D as well.For instance, saving Combis and Programs for certain gigs makes a convenient way to have access to the main sounds used on a gig, pianos, organs, pads, clavs, etc.

So what you're saying is that if I want to save Combi Bank B 004 in Combi D for organizing the user's bank can't be done somehow?

Thanks

Katt
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Combi bank D exclusively for my live patches. Progs (saved as Combis) and Combis are saved there. Let's say you like a Combi in bank B. When in that Combi, SAVE it but use an open slot in Bank D to save it and it will be in both places.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sounds Reply with quote

nitekatt2010 wrote:
mocando wrote:

You can save any program in Combi D as a user's bank, but I can't find a way to save Combis from other banks into Bank D as well.For instance, saving Combis and Programs for certain gigs makes a convenient way to have access to the main sounds used on a gig, pianos, organs, pads, clavs, etc.

So what you're saying is that if I want to save Combi Bank B 004 in Combi D for organizing the user's bank can't be done somehow?

Thanks

Katt

Ok I got it, what you want is a quick way to find your combis for a gig. Well, I think you'll be better served using Categories and Sub Categories. When saving a combi you can specify which category you want to save it into, first go to Global mode and name your categories and sub categories as you like, for instance, specific gigs, bands you do cover to, styles, etc. Since I do covers for several bands so my category structure is like this:

Category: My Combis
Sub Cat: Genesis
Sub Cat: Rush
Sub Cat: SAGA
Sub Cat: UK
and so on and so forth

The nice thing of this approach is that no matter where your cambi is stored, it will be all together when you do a category browse and you'll find them very quickly. I even save them sequentially as I will be playing them.

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
nitekatt2010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sounds Reply with quote

mocando wrote:
nitekatt2010 wrote:
mocando wrote:

Thanks

Katt

Ok I got it, what you want is a quick way to find your combis for a gig. Well, I think you'll be better served using Categories and Sub Categories. When saving a combi you can specify which category you want to save it into, first go to Global mode and name your categories and sub categories as you like, for instance, specific gigs, bands you do cover to, styles, etc. Since I do covers for several bands so my category structure is like this:

Category: My Combis
Sub Cat: Genesis
Sub Cat: Rush
Sub Cat: SAGA
Sub Cat: UK
and so on and so forth

The nice thing of this approach is that no matter where your cambi is stored, it will be all together when you do a category browse and you'll find them very quickly. I even save them sequentially as I will be playing them.

Hi mocando. Yes, exactly, I want to have an easy access "database" directory of the main Programs and Combis in Combi Bank D for live gigs. I need one set of sounds for cover bands like blues, organs, pianos, T-40 Rhodes, pads, strings and brass and for jazz, acoustic pianos, Rhodes, and organs. If I do a duo with a drummer, I need a split bank for LH bass and RH organs, pianos, etc. So I would have sub-catagories and other options to change sounds and I hooked up and configured a pedal via Global Mode to change sounds like 001, 003, 012, etc.

I could write the various Programs I wanted into Combi Bank D, but there didn't seem to be a way to get the Combis I wanted into Bank D.

Now you can see what I'm up to, hehe. Thanks

katt
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't 'write' programs into a combi bank.

Programs go in Program banks. Combis go in Combi banks.

You can create a Combi with a single program which has all the same effects and arp and etc settings as the Program. But it is still a Combi. Just one which only uses one timbre/program.

Perhaps that confusion is your problem? If you are in Program mode and select Bank D, you are editing programs, and writing to Program Bank D.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Kapellmeister

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tip, Martin! I was looking around here before asking and found the answer!
nitekatt2010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Organizing Sounds Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
You can't 'write' programs into a combi bank.

Programs go in Program banks. Combis go in Combi banks.

You can create a Combi with a single program which has all the same effects and arp and etc settings as the Program. But it is still a Combi. Just one which only uses one timbre/program.

Perhaps that confusion is your problem? If you are in Program mode and select Bank D, you are editing programs, and writing to Program Bank D.

Hi X. Here is the link to a video tutorial from Korg USA that explains how you can organize your sounds as a user's bank in Combi D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKbLb_eX48Y

I followed the steps and it worked fine for me. Thanks katt
sima

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have watched the video released by KORG about how to organize favorite sounds in Performance Bank D. This appears quite promising and easy in the video, but in practical, there is a slight break between the sounds. In live gig situation this is annoying.

I have discovered now a simple method to switch between sounds. This is another easy way to select sounds easily during a stage performance in a split second gap. This method is OK for most of the live gig situations where you have to switch from one sound to another especially when there is only one keyboard available. The procedure is as below:

1. Create a new Combination give it a meaningful name like - the name of the song or group of songs you are going to use it with. For example- I have given the name" DABANG 2 " to one of such combis.

2. Assign the desired instruments or programs to all the eight channels (Timbres) visible on the first page. (Well; you can do that for the next 8 timbres also but they will cause dropouts due to polyphony problems)

3. Change the MIDI channel of all the first eight timbres/programs to 1

4. I recommend that you route the effects of all the programs in the same way so that there will be smooth transition of sounds

5. Save the Combination, Now you are ready. Prepare as many such combinations you like and save them in Bank D.

6. During the live gig, open a combi of your choice, Press menu command and select “ Exclusive Solo “ (this is very important) or you can use the shortcut = enter+1 in the numeric key.

7. touch the “solo” button of one of the timbers and play the sound. When you want to change the sound, simply touch the “solo” button of the desired timbre. You are done

I am using my M50 on stage performances by this method without any trouble. So, HAPPY GIGGING.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sima,

Nice methodolgy and well thought out.

One note tho'; it provides a method of moving between SINGLE PROGRAMS within a combi with no beak in the MASTER effects - there may still be an audible break between sounds, but that gets smoothed by the continuous master FX if the solo sound uses MFX (not always the case, and not always the same amount used).

I don't know for sure, but the transition might also be pretty smooth for two Combis, provided they have IDENTICAL master & insert fx (i.e., different synth sounds within a common structural "space".)

Transitions between sounds is the reason I play with two boards.

I use the same mnemonic pattern on both boards to find my way around; playing with two or more bands is not a problem if you can find stuff easily and quickly.

My own scheme is close to the old Alesis QS structure -- like GM but in groups of 10 (easier to remember than base Cool so most categories are represented (12 and a half cat.s), with 10 possible "favorites" for each category. So if you're logical with your set ups (i.e., Piano bank "0" = dry pianos first, followed by digitals, followed by layers [+strings, +vox]) then you can find what you want with only a couple of pushes on the keypad = ##<enter>, my go to piano is "zero/enter".

------------

Whatever scheme you use, the central issue is that it makes sense TO YOU; korg makes it easy to impose that sense of order, be it alphabetical or song specific; band or subcategory.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn the smileys ... should read eight close paren.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Lord John

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Sima.

Is there a way to use either a button or the wheel to cycle through the "Solo" sounds? In a live situation where I have to change dead on, touch screens are a nightmare and can lead to frustrating results.

I'm yet to find a way to move between combis however.
sima

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Organizing combis is a nice way to play in a live gig, my method is one of the alternatives. However, the break in the sound in the method of organizing combis is quite noticable due to the fact that while changing the combis, the whole sound engine is reset and again loaded to the new combi. Therefore, the gap appears. In case of a single combi having different programs, the engine keeps on running but the sounds are muted or unmuted, thus gives a sense of continuity. The small amount of change is hardly noticed when played alongside other instruments of the band.

But all said and done, the sonic quality of combis is definitely better than a single program, so, go for changing combis method when you need a layred/split sound.

Again, Happy Gigging to all.
Ivan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sima how do you route the effects to the second, third etc patches in a combi setting anyway? I can get the first program (patch) copied to the first slot in the combi by importing from program and importing all the effects with it, but for the 2nd one I have to choose the program from the main screen (where the first 8 timbres are) and I don't get an option of importing effects (though the patch sounds like it did automatically import them).

Getting exclusive solo and setting the sounds all to G1 is easy enough but I still get a noticeable blank between two program sounds when changing over because I cannot seem to work out how to get into the MFX/IFX section of the 2nd patch (or 3rd one for that matter?)

I must be missing something really obvious here..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: