Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pumpkin King - Piano Improv - March 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Pumpkin King - Piano Improv - March 11 Reply with quote

I wasn't going to share this here, I really want to get another one of my songs done within the next week or so. But it'd be nice to get some feedback on this recording.

I might post the other up for March also, but I posted two up for February already, and haven't gotten feedback on the other song. I don't want to bombard this forum with too many, it is only one song a month... Laughing Maybe I'll post it for early April...yeah that'll work.

Anyways, I decided to record a piano improv yesterday. It's just nice to be able to play straight up piano once in awhile. I used garageband though, and added a nice little delay on the piano.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10378955

I also recorded a video of me playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEudqhxmMjs
ronbo27
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Has that "spring thaw" vibe for me....babbling brooks....melting icicles....rain/snow trickles.....calm, serene flow....delicate touch...sweet tone...well-played. Good on ya!
Cheers!
Ron Laughing
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad you did decide to share this! Very beautiful, so many moods here, from the dreamy to the dramatic, and some excellent playing too..

Well done and thanks again for putting it up,

Dee
Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dee and Ron. Smile

Yeah, many different moods here. I've been stressed out lately over multiple things and so I decided to record this one here. I tried only think positively....thoughts of beautiful places, people....so this is what came out. I can really get lost when I play the piano... And I guess it's worth noting that I'm mostly self-taught. So the comments mean a lot to me.

Thanks again!
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is like an etude or a series of them. At least in parts. This is so different from Ellll's improvs, but interestingly so. More Rachmaninoff-ish with your octaves on the right hand. At times it seems very quantized and lacking a bit of human-ness, I wonder, if it is still digital, if you could add some swing quantizing and a bit of randomness in the velocity to emphasize the touching of the keys with your fingertips. As far as what you've played here, I really like the runs and the chord choices you've made and all in all it is really nice to listen to. So elequent and relaxing, but in a mind stimulating sort of way. Very interesting.

Also, a short note on the one song deal, there are some who punch out a lot of songs quickly and can benefit from selecting one project to present each month and focusing on that one song to make it the best it can be over a few weeks. So these monthly deadlines can work to slow some of us down who are prolific and able to produce a lot of music quickly, or on the other side, it kicks peoples' butts who can't finish even one project and will push them to spend that month getting an idea from concept to execution and production. This is just a general comment for everyone, having done 4 or so of these OSAM deals myself by now.
album cover
Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...I don't think I'll be editing the song. I don't like the idea of editing live performances and improvs, that's just me. Though I almost would like to go through and edit some of the note velocities. The keyboard I have is the keystation 88es...no weighted keys. So at some points in the song, it wouldn't register some of the very soft notes I was trying to play. So I had to improvise quickly because of those moments. But yeah, I really appreciate your feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed listening to it. Smile

And the only reason why I was thinking about doing the song this month is because it's almost finished. But I think I'll use the time to fine-tune the song a bit more and maybe work on some others in the process.
joet63

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe, What lovely song, it flows so well in a dream like state and your playing is good too. I think your getting better and better, keep up the good work!

joe
Reason 5, Record 1.5, KLC 1.2v, Korg MS2000, BR, Korg Electribe Series Mk11, Roland JV1080, Novation A Station, Novation Bass Station, Evolution 49 M/Controller, Yamaha PSR295,300,DSR 2000, E/Acoustic CPX900, Epiphone Sheraton, Suzuki Acoustic Guitar,
Washburn RB2500 Bass Guitar, Akai Pro ME30PII, Fostex Mixer, Korg DS-10, Korg PadKontrol.

www.myspace.com/joethompson63
Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Joe. Smile
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Pumpkin King, Always good to hear your material!

I, for one, have too little time as it is, to get all the needed comprehensive (to me Very Happy ) listening done for commentary for one song we each should be listing each month, for a total of 12 for the year. I listen several times to each, to try to be helpful (But I fail therein at times, 'tis true......)

I won't be commenting on the others that some sometimes list here.

To get a broadened and wider listening, it used to be, the Promote section listings and threads were suggested for additional songs. I always understood additional listings were to go there and always put mine there, and that's why I have done no critique on your additional songs.

I LIKE them and I listen .., but won't try to analyze what I am hearing and what the song may need overall. I choose what you seemed to list as your month song to comment on. That's what we have always done here in my memory.

Besides there is a larger audience listening generally on Promote Section .., at least in the past. None the less, BE ASSURED, I have no problem with your additional listings, if its o.k. with the moderators.

My Best Regards!!! Johnny, John, ellll Very Happy Very Happy
Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I actually had even another song/jam finished, and decided to post that under the Promotion section. I could've posted my other listing here in that section also, but I figured I should post it up in this section since it was more of a complete composition compared to my improvisation here.

Thanks John, and I do appreciate the time you put into your critiques, especially considering the limited time you have already.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: