Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wavedrum pcm instruments

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwdrums

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: wavedrum pcm instruments Reply with quote

okay, now that I have my sound system in check I have to learn the drum. I'm trying to access the wavedrum pcm instruments...listed on the backside of my Voice Name List. Say I want a Tambourine (37 rim) - how do I dial that up?
Kaden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the manual would help clarify your understanding of the instrument.
randyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaden's response may seem a bit terse, but it's really the best advice you could get. On an instrument like the Wavedrum, where the user interface has been pared down to the minimum to keep costs low, it is essential to have a solid grasp of the steps you need to take to get something done.

Why not give yourself an hour or two to sit down with the manual and Wavedrum side by side, and walk yourself through the instrument's menus.

If you can't spare the time for that, then just skip directly to the section of the manual that deals with loading voices, and go from there.

Believe me, this really is necessary; I've been playing synths since 1972, and every instrument has its own quirks and way of doing things. The more bare-bones the user interface, the less intuitive the process of using it is likely to be.

The Wavedrum is an extremely powerful instrument, but you can only make it your own if you have a solid idea what makes it tick. You don't have to hold all the information in your head at once, but at the very least, you need to have a clear idea where to go in the manual to get what you need.

It's not like going to the dentist... it can be a lot of fun! Good luck.
jwdrums

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: thanks randyman Reply with quote

I'll do that this weekend, out of town at the moment on biz. Had a moment today and thought I would spark up a discussion on where I left off in the manual. I just got the WD...love it so far as well as the info in this forum........although a bit taken back by Kaden's responce. Didn't expect that but there's always one isn't there.

My bad y'all, rock on! JW Very Happy
Kaden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There's always one"? You're butthurt because I suggested you read the manual? Honestly, what were you expecting?

Let's look at your question: "Say I want a Tambourine (37 rim) - how do I dial that up?"

Where do you want to 'dial that up'? Across the whole instrument? Ain't gonna happen... that's not how the voice architecture is structured, which you'd know if you'd read the manual. It's a sample that's applicable to the rim only.

Which you'd know if you'd read the manual.

Head sample #72 is also a tambourine, so you could map #72 to the head and #37 to the rim (by following the instructions in the manual) if you wanted that particular voicing, but you'd have to zero out the head and rim algorithm levels in order to only hear the tambo sounds. This would convert the interactive electro-acoustic wavedrum into a purely 'sample playback' instrument similar to a Roland SPD multipad.

Now, no offense to Roland... they redefined electronic percussion in the late '90's, their samples are quite usable, and their modelling algos are almost realistic: I've had a TD-8 and 11 pads incorporated into my kit since '04 which significantly expanded the timbral palette at my disposal. The Roland products are apples, though, while the wavedrum is oranges, tangerines, guava, smoked moose flank and ga'ak, all at the same time. It is a radically different instrument.

Which you would have realize if you'd read the manual.

My point? You asked a question which indicated a fundamental lack of understanding of the instrument in question. Reading the manual would at least let you ask applicable questions, and teach you the common vocabulary of terms we'd be using to answer your questions.

That's just common courtesy.

Taking offense to the simple suggestion that you familiarise yourself with the basic nature of the instrument?

Uncalled for.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot my manual this trip so I downloaded it. Really isn't to bad to navigate the instment once you get used to it but if you don't do it eveyday the manual is a great resource. I'm on my laptop so I just downloaded it from the WD page.
Kaden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A laptop is an essential part of my drumkit: I have Battery3 running for triggered samples, charts for the more complex arrangements, and manuals and program listings for the TD-8, Wavedrum, Kaosspad and Kaossilator all just a click away. No booklets to lose, and text search is way quicker than thumbing through beerstained, dog eared hard copies.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a hardcore book lover. I will always take a hard copy over digital but that is a personal choice. In this case it sure comes in handy having the laptop.
jwdrums

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: download Reply with quote

downloaded the manual this morning, thanks Bertotti and with a little practice I hope to one day be as elite on the WD as Kaden. Very Happy
Kaden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to your evocative sampled tambourine stylings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: