Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rim sensor triggers by itself

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wavygravey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Rim sensor triggers by itself Reply with quote

I just bought a used wavedrum off ebay.

The rim sensor will trigger steadily without me even touching the drum. I'm using headphones so it is not a feedback issue. It also happens on the majority of the patches.

I can mitigate this problem by turning the sensitivity of the rim sensor down. However, my preference is to leave everything at it's most sensitive level.

Is this a normal condition or is there something wrong with my drum?

Thanks for your input.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine will sound on occasion but usually I am getting close to the rim or hitting hard. There will be cross over and there is supposed to be cross over. What I would do is reset the unit to all the factory defaults and see if it goes away. I would think if it does then the setting were off somehow maybe not just the sensitivity, if it doesn't go away it will be time to send it in for service. Let us know how it goes!

I'm not sure triggered is a good word in this case, it isn't a midi trigger but an actual pickup transducer
wavygravey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I've reset to the factory settings, adjusted the calibration and tried different head tensions to no avail.

What is a normal setting for rim sensitivity? If I have the rim's low and sensitivity set to 0 then there will be a quick repeating note on 75% of the patches. When I have them both set to around 20 then the unintentional sounds will stop for most patches. That seems a little high for me. Also, I can't find a univerally good setting for the rim and instead need to adjust the sensitivity for each patch separately to find a good balance between the rim playing by itself and having good playable sensitivity.

Oddly enough, I took the drum into a Guitar Center and compared it to their floor model and their's was doing the exact same thing. I've played quite a few of these drums and have not experienced this issue before so I'm puzzled as to whether this is a normal state or not.

What does it cost to have the drum sent to Korg for service?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No clue what the cost is. I can take a look at my settings and see but I can't get to it till this weekend. What is the worst patch. maybe we could compare them and see what's different, if anything. Hopefully Wavedrummer will pop in he has the most knowledge about these things!
stevesmithfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My left side snare will sometimes trigger the rim sound on my Wavedrum, but I have to hit the snare pretty hard for that to happen.
I wish I could help you, good luck.
wavygravey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: more Reply with quote

@ Bertotti,

There really isn't a worst patch. When all the sensitivities are set to 00, the following patches will have a soft rapidly repeating note. 3-4,7,10,12-13,16-17,22-23,26-32,34,37,40-43, etc...

So more than half.

I've also noticed that most of the patches have a slapback sound when the rim is played. This is particularly prominent when playing the rim just to the left of bottom center.

There may also be other issues. On patch 44 for example, there is the soft repeating note plus there really is almost no sound when striking the drum head except if the head is struck pretty forcefully I get the occasional china cymbal sound that quickly chokes by itself.

I'd like to know if anyone else get's the soft repeating note when all the sensitivities are set to 00.

Thanks for your help.

-d
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be so late to the party on this one!

I have never encountered what you're describing. The only thing that comes to mind is that perhaps one of the transducers under the rim is slightly loose. Those are extremely sensitive, so if this were the case then it wouldn't take much to create repeated sounds like you describe along with lots of misfires.

You might want to remove the top rim and examine both transducers. They are located at approx the 2:00 O' Clock and 10:00 O' Clock position. But be careful, these, along with the transducer under the head itself, should be handled with great care. The user manual recommends that the main transducer should not be handled at all. But you should be able to see if one of the rim sensors is loose.

I'm not sure where you're located but you can contact Korg directly or one of their Authorized Service centers if repairs are necessary.
http://www.korg.com/Support.aspx
Since you bought it used (correct?) it probably won't be covered under warranty but I can't say for certain.

Keep us posted on this one. I'm curious. Smile
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't duplicate your problem. I would send it in.

Oops sorry WaveDrummer already suggested that!
wavygravey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Returned Reply with quote

I returned it to the guy who sent it to me. He claims that it works fine.

Who Knows?

Look for it soon on ebay.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he sending it back to you? or did he refund your money? Will you get another? I still love mine and I think my sensitivity is set to 20 also globally not n an individual track. Long day now I am going to have to check again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: