Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Effects for WD-X anyone?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tungsten

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Effects for WD-X anyone? Reply with quote

Hello wavedrummers!

This'll be my first post on these here forums but I've been reading and learning since may 2010... when I first brought my beloved WD-X home.

I've been messing with this drum for almost a year now and I love it. The versatility, the clean sounds, the dirty and grimey sounds and the angry KORG trademark synthetic growlers -I'll never get tired of any of it.

BUT... I'm at a point where I feel the need to accessorize or what you might call it. I want to add external effects. Probably some sort of stompbox or stereo pedal. The thing is: the WD is the first electronic instrument I've played. I've been playing Djembe, Doumbek and Darbouka for about 12-13 years but when it comes to electronic instruments, effects, pedals, the order in which they are set up etc. I am a complete newbie. So it has been a period of Trial and Error for me.

I brought the WD to a local store with a good rep. They carry loads of different pedals and effects. I managed to try the drum with the following:

BOSS RE-20 Space Echo
Wonderful sounds, interesting oscillating effects if tap tempo pedal is held down for a longer period of time. But limited to echo/reverb and chorus effects only. And no preset/save option. Cool gadget though!

Electro Harmonix PolyChorus
Weird device with amazing sounds and capabilities. It made my WD Conga sound like a screwed up Jew's Harp with infinite echo. Strange indeed. Again no preset/save function.

TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Fantastic piece of hardware! Made the drum sound really alien even with a dry Cajon or conga sound. Udu and Tabla sounds just blew my mind. I got some really freaky PingPong effects and I could play to my own loops over and over again with great control. There is a more expensive version of the box with a preset and save funtion.

Great stuff really. All three pedals. But I still miss some sort of flanged filter that'll distort the sound in a mild wah wah way. I guess it is hard to describe as I'm not sure what I'm after myself... I'll know it when I hear it though! Unlike a guitar the tones the WD produces when played are short and repeated. A guitar has a continuous tone that can be shaped and twisted through filters and effects. This I believe makes it hard to find an effects pedal that suits the WD.

Maybe a DI box? Has anyone used one with the WD? And if so... will it filter the sound and allow for moderate distortion/twisting/what have you? I do line the drum through the PA system when we rehearse and thus make use of the soft built in reverb and stuff for a slightly larger sound. But it is far from enough.

I was about to try a MoogerFooger but I'm afraid I'll love it too much... and that will not suit my wallet. At the moment.

So I guess basically my question is... have any of you guys ever tried any external effetcs? And if so was it cool? Share please! Enlighten me.

Sincerely/
TungSten.
Kaden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Mini KP live, and Guitar Rig when I'm recording. For under $150, the little Kaosspad is absolutely the most bang for the buck you can get that's suitable for the Wavedrum.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have are my guitar effects. One of each am worried if I like one I'll need a second for the right channel!

I might try my micro qtron, I love envelope filters, at least I think that is what it is. Confused

Imagine what a Low pass could do witht he lows of the wd or a High pass with the cymbals! etc.....
winged EEL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using my Ensoniq DP-2, it's a outstanding dual multi-effects processor with over 600 presets.
It has a ton of versatile effects that can be chained together like:Nonlinear reverbs, Ring modulator, Phasors, Flangers, Chorus, Delays, Panners and Amp simulators, these type of multi-effects can really take the WD to another dimension.
MOOG - Sonic Six, Moog Plus Theremin
OBERHEIM - Matrix 1000
E-MU XL-1 Xtreme Lead BPM synth
HOHNER - Pianet
Waldorf - Blofeld keyboard
Studiologic- Sledge ll
Tungsten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Kaden
Ahh ok, Mini Kaoss Pad. Never really thought about that. How do you modulate the sound though? I was looking at ways to shape the sound while playing... i.e. using a foot switch/pedal of some sort. I might need to look into the KP option. KP4 maybe?

@ Bertotti
Envelope Filters are awesome and I bet it would sound really cool used on a WD. That flanged wha sound... man oh man. Please try that Q-tron and let me know how it sounds!

@ Winged Eel
That sounds like a great idea; Ensoniq DP. The DP-2 seems hard to find. I'm deffo gonna keep an eye out for it though.

Thanks for the input guys. Keep posting if any more ideas come to mind.
/TungSten.
Kaden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The miniKP has a lotta programs with tempo matched modulation... dial in the BPM, hit the hold button, then find the sweet spot on the touchpad. Works like a charm.

I wasn't impressed with the KP Quadra... it may give you more options in terms of how the FX are laid out on the touchpad, but sacrifices a bunch of other features from the KP3.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give the qtron a run and if it seems worth while I'll record a bit.

I could just see you up n front with socks on and a big toe cut out for the KP! HAHAHHA Laughing
WaterDrum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at used guitar multieffects
They are not too expensive on ebay
For example Boss GT3 or GT6 (with potentiometers,knobs)
The Expression Pedal can be assigned to nearly anything you want.
I think it can be assigned to up to 8 different parameters at the same time
A second External Expression Pedal can be programmed as well.

So a very flexible footcontrol is possible

Tap tempo for delays and whatever
Mono In Stereo out (Play with Panorama live on the express.pedal)
MIDI IN/OUT + Freeware editor

On ebay around 100 stones.

There might be a discussion about the quality of the effects
but thats something else

WaterDrum
Kaden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll confess to having used my nose to tweeze the KP on occasion.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is funny! Kaoss Nose! A whole new market, nose controllers! Laughing

I do have a multi effects, a Zoom G2.1u which has some decent effects! Actually they are way better then decent. I will give it a shot also.
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately my WD runs thru the Waves Y96K card in my AW2400 - supertap delay, trueverb and ultramaximizer, it's huge
Slabwax

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd give this one a bump to the top.

Slabwax
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas you did! I now have a new goal since my weekend plans were so horribly ruined with lack of supplies!
Slabwax

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
Gas you did! I now have a new goal since my weekend plans were so horribly ruined with lack of supplies!

I'm glad I could be of some assistance.

Slabwax
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No knowing what my guitar pedals can take I am running the WD into a 10 channel yamaha mixer and using the insert to try the pedals. They work as suspected and can creat some cool tones or in equally untrained hands, some real garbage! Haha don't ask how I know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: