Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Solid State Drive in Oasys?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ricky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Solid State Drive in Oasys? Reply with quote

Can I (or my technician) put a solid state drive the the O, instead of the harddisk installed from factory?
AFAIK the drive is ATA100. Are there any SSD drives with that Interface?
Please advise. What about quality of SSD? Which are good and which are bad?

I travel quite a lot, and it would be safer to have a SSD.

If the harddisc should crash, how can I boot the O?
From USB? Or from Cd's?
Or am I totally "dead" and have to leave the audience without any music???

I haven't had any problems so far. Just tryin' to look ahead.

TIA
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the custom operating system would support an SSD drive, so the existing hard drive is it.

If it fails, you are out of luck. However I haven't heard of this situation occuring. Any keyboard could theoretically die/stop working, so you should always have a backup available.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you could have an identical drive with the OASYS load cloned to it, using Norton or Acronis for example.

I have seen reports of users successfully having replaced the drive with a larger one so IF you did find a IDE SSD then it might work, but I would expect most SSDs to be SATA.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Pianomanjess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got my O back from the nearest KORG authorized repair center, because I had some issues upon loading the OS, and it turned out my hard drive had went bad, the hard drive they replaced it with was 120 GB instead of the factory 60GB! So I know a larger drive can be supplied, but as for a SSD I do not know.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info regarding also SSD can be found on this and this pages. Nobody said it was impossible to replace the O hard disk with an SSD.

PS. Anybody wants to replace the SSD in Kronos with a hard disk? Wink I mean you could sell the SSD and buy a much cheaper hard disk = saving money. Laughing
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
You just need to clone the HDD with GHOST. It would be interesting to see how fast it boots and loads / saves files when a SSD installed. I bet it would be a lot faster.

Regards
Sharp.
Ricky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for all your answers.
But someone's in doubt, other say it's possible!
Are there any way I can get it confirmed? Who will know it for sure?
Somebody at Korg? Can I contact them? How?

It will be an expensive operation. I will do it if it's possible, but I will not waste my money just to try it if it fails!
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bet it works. They make Parallel ATA drives that are pretty fast:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/SandForce-IDE-ATA-Mercury-Extreme-Pro-Legacy-Edition-Legacy-PC,11917.html

I'd find out what the return policy is if it doesn't and give it a shot. I guarantee that I'd give it a shot if I had an OASYS. I will be doing a backwards test on the KRONOS using a standard HD.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky wrote:
Are there any way I can get it confirmed? Who will know it for sure?
Somebody at Korg? Can I contact them? How?

No one at Korg will give you a yes or no answer since that is not part of the original product specification. Also, no one at Korg is going to open up an OASYS and test it for you.

You would do this at your own risk. If you messed up your OASYS, you would have to pay to get it fixed.
Anukis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://synth-voice.sakura.ne.jp/synth-voice/html5/column11.html

have a look
Fantom G8
Fantom G7
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone translate all that lol

billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
Akos Janca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsynth-voice.sakura.ne.jp%2Fsynth-voice%2Fhtml5%2Fcolumn11.html

Translated by Google. Smile
It seems he succeeded. Thanks for the link.
Anukis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im having great problems finding a 44 pin ssd drive. There is a brand called KingSpec but I don't want to use an unknown brand drive. If anyone is computer savvy enough to know what ssd drives will definitely work in the O please provide some links. As soon as I find one I will take my O apart and document this. OWC Mercury extreme pro seem to fit but I can't find out if they are 44 pin.

I have downloaded HDclone which should also clone the drive exactly so there should be no need to use authorisation disks. It has been used and passed by someone on karma-labs.
Fantom G8
Fantom G7
Anukis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after a lot of research would it be safe to say, If I bought an ssd drive that was 2.5" IDE PATA that was 44 pin in any brand that it would work on an O?

I'm really getting excited about trying this since the factory hdd makes a tremendous amount of noise that travels out the audio outs into my soundcard and speakers. Im convinced its the hdd and not a ground loop.
Fantom G8
Fantom G7
razzaq1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anukis wrote:
Im having great problems finding a 44 pin ssd drive. There is a brand called KingSpec but I don't want to use an unknown brand drive.

Hi all,
I just installed a 128Gig KingSpec SSD KSD-PA25.6-128MS bought from Amazon for £75 into my OASYS using AKOS's link at
http://synth-voice.sakura.ne.jp/synth-voice/html5/column11.html

Excellent instructions.
PS. Take the left aluminium 'cheek' completely off, and just the indicated yellow/red screw on the right cheek, so that the control panel hinges up.

I DID try to put the SSD into the OASYS and use the restore disk as mentioned, but I got the "unable to access the harddisk on this OASYS" screen several times.
I had not done the 'OPERATION CHECK OF SSD' section because I didn't have a connection adapter for the smaller 2.5" drive.
I thought that the SSD might have been faulty.

Then, I bought an external enclosure for the SSD and I used the 'clone disk' menu option of EASUSs (free) Partition Master (this is SUCH a good program)
http://www.partition-tool.com/ and when put the cloned SSD into the OASYS it worked straight away Cool

I changed the button (clock) battery, and I think I'll get a silent fan whilst it is open.

Boots up QUICKLY (as I wished)

It is not a difficult install to do, but take precautions, the SSD is susceptible to electrostatic discharge.

Happy bunny here! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: