Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Yamaha MOX

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spinoria

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: New Yamaha MOX Reply with quote

Yamaha MOX has been the news today but nobody here at Korgforums have started a thread yet so I guess I could be first.

Obviously not a high end workstation like the Kronos but I think it's look interesting for a lot of reasons.
I'm about to buy a new 88-key keyboard and I guess I will choose from these 3 choices.

1.Korg Kronos (seems to be really cool, good pianos, light weight but very expensive and poor hammond organ)
2. Kurzweil PC3X or PC3K8. I like Kurzweil and it's not to heavy and it's affordable. Lets hope the new expansions have some good sounds (a new piano maybe?)
3. Yamaha MOX8 . Very very light weight, extremely affordable. Let's see tomorrow what the specs and the demos says.

If I don't get everything with the Kurzweil or Yamaha I guess I could always bring my Mac or PC with some VST's for whatever I'm missing. I guess I will miss a really good hammond sound with all these workstations so maybe I should save some money on the Kronos for a Nord Electro or something?

What do you Korg Fans think?
Novation Ultranova, Korg M3 73, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Korg Poly 800 MK2, Korg Kaossilator, Korg Trident MK1, Nord Electro 3, Kurzweil PC3X, Kurzweil K2500X, Virus TI 61 , Alesis Micron, Kurzweil K2000, Kurzweil K2500R, Yamaha SK20, Hammond C3+ Leslie R22, PC running Brainspawn Forte with EMU Soundcard + IK Multimedia Sampletank 2.0 + Sonik Synth + Miroslav Philharmonik, Logic Mainstage Smile
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ozz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I think that you are a little confused with the MOX... it's not oriented to be competition in quality or price tag with the KRONOS nor the PC3X or PC3K8.

Maybe you should compare it with the M50 or any other diminished version of a top of the line workstation.

Regards.
Alvaro.
spinoria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the MOX isn't targeted to compete with the Kronos but still it's an alternative to the Kronos because you want as much sound as possible for your money. If I decide for the MOX I could bring my laptop and software on stage if I need something specific that is not in the MOX.

I said the Kronos was expensive... Well I'm wrong. I don't know if it is expensive but what I meant is that it's a lot of money. Anyway to me it's a lot money.

Also sorry about my statement about the poor Hammond sound but from what I can remember the original CX3 was a meant to be the poor mans Hammond B3 replacement. So Korg does an emulation of a copy !!!
Maybe the emulation of the korg hammond copy is really good.
But it's the real Hammond B3, C3, A100 sound you want and this is one of the things I don't like with Korg sounds. They have never produced a real good hammond emulation with any of the classic leslies.
Maybe you can tweak the CX3 in Kronos but from the demos I heard it's the same old Korg Full drawbars settings that sounds terrible in my ears.

I happen to own a Hammond C3 and a Leslie122 so I like to think that I know what a good hammond organ sounds like.
Novation Ultranova, Korg M3 73, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Korg Poly 800 MK2, Korg Kaossilator, Korg Trident MK1, Nord Electro 3, Kurzweil PC3X, Kurzweil K2500X, Virus TI 61 , Alesis Micron, Kurzweil K2000, Kurzweil K2500R, Yamaha SK20, Hammond C3+ Leslie R22, PC running Brainspawn Forte with EMU Soundcard + IK Multimedia Sampletank 2.0 + Sonik Synth + Miroslav Philharmonik, Logic Mainstage Smile
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you compare the OASYS' CX-3 (probably also the one in Kronos) to Nord's C2 you would realise immediately how good a B3 emulation can sound.

peter / blogasys

Last edited by peter m. mahr on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
dimitris
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MOX seems a good choice as a second keyboard! Kronos is the best for me but, because I will own PA3X soon , maybe MOX is better and affordable solution!

Will see...

Regards,
Dimitris
spinoria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you compare the OASYS' CX-3 (probably also the one in Kronos) to Nord's C2 you would realise immediately how good a B3 emulation can sound.

Do you mean that the Nord C2 is the better emulation or do you mean the Kronos?[/quote]
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitris wrote:
The MOX seems a good choice as a second keyboard!

Yes, I was thinking a MOX 88 would be a nice companion for a Kronos 61. I would want to add *some* weighted second board to play with a Kronos 61, and the Yamaha is relatively lightweight (only 5 lb heavier than the Kronos 61); and Yamaha acoustic sounds (winds, brass, strings) might complement the Kronos nicely, since those are typically Yamaha's strengths and not Korg's.

A Kronos 61 and an MOX 88 combined would weigh only 10 pounds more than a Kronos 88, and give you both weighted and unweighted actions. And the combination of the two costs a pretty reasonable $700 more than a Kronos 88 alone, and would give you a whole additional palette to work with.
dokido

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also thinking of getting a mox, it's seems much better than mo6 wich I liked a lot but very bad sequenser, and to the same price. Perhaps I will replace my M50. I dont like cubase though, but perhaps it will function well with albeton? And perhaps karma will come also?

But it depends on how the never ending story of Kronos evolve...(pricing etc) Confused

No Kronos = MOx+M3M perhaps
Link

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Kronos = Kurzweil PC3 + M3-M
dokido

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well now with the kronos price going up it will be
kronos or mox+m3m+dsi mek
have to decide soon but it irritates me I dont get so much for my m3m
and on the other side, would gladly only have one workstation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: