Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Basic" Questions from new Karma User

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dominick9998

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: "Basic" Questions from new Karma User Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just picked up a Karma about a month ago and have had an awesome time learning as much as I can about it. However, being that I am new to world of synthesizers/MIDI/etc, I have a few questions pertaining to synthesizers in general and also to what I'd like to do with it:

1) What is a sequencer? Can I use it to playback pre-recorded audio samples during a live band performance a la Jordan Rudess triggering spoken samples during a Dream Theater performance?

2)Can I create banks of sounds solely dedicated to one song? I'd like to do this so my keyboard player can just step on a program change pedal and go right through multiple patches per song....This seems very simple, but I'm having a difficult time deciphering how to do this from the manual.....

Thx.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sequencer refers to a series of notes played in a particular sequence or order -- primitive (70's) versions could do only 8 to 16 notes. You can hear them used to very good effect on albums like "Dark Side of the Moon". Sequencers today can play full arrangements, essentially replacing recording gear. You have access to multiple tracks and effects on those tracks, etc. You can also play the sequence using any instrument that can read it's signals, this is what Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI) protocols are for. Any MIDI sequence can be played on almost any MIDI instrument (I won't get into too much detail about what the exceptions are). This means that varying the instruments used to use a better piano or different drums is fairly easy. GM - General Midi - is a set palate of instrument sounds in a set order that allows the playing of GM compliant sequences to sound close to identical no matter what instrument they are played on.

The KARMA function is an example of sequencing; in this case multiple tracks and interactive, responsive sequencing.

-------------

The voice recordings that get played are samples. Samples are computer based recordings. Some synths have a sample utility that lets them play samples or incorporate them in their synth architecture.

The KARMA is not a sampler. It's architecture uses samples in it's ROM - Read-Only Memory - and by manipulating them makes the sounds you hear. However it does not let you put in your voice. To do that (KORG) you'd need a Triton, or higher level synth with sampling option.

------------------

Q2 - answer is yes, definately. You can manipulate, organize, store, rewrite as much as you want. Korg synths are fully programmable. This also means that you can lose, overwrite, unintentionally edit, and truely screw up your KARMA (no pun intended), because (SAY IT WITH ME) Korg synths are fully programmable.

Save, back-up often, read the f%@$#ing manual.

And ask questions.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Karma All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: