Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mopho or Mono Evolver to compliment RADIAS - opinions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pillbug

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Mopho or Mono Evolver to compliment RADIAS - opinions? Reply with quote

I've been looking at Dave Smith Instruments for a bit of analog addition to my RADIAS-R. With the Memorial Day sales events, I can get a Mopho keyboard for $680 or a Mono Evolver Keyboard for $1080.

It looks like Mopho and MEK will both produce similar analog sounds, whereas I'd have to use outboard FX with Mopho, the MEK has effects plus the 2 digital OSCs as well.

Looking at the architecture, MEK looks (on paper) similar to the RADIAS... so,
Is it worth the extra cost for the MEK which will complement the RADIAS or will it almost duplicate it in some respects? Or are the MEK sound possibilities so far advanced from the Mopho that it'd be worth it?
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mopho or Mono Evolver to compliment RADIAS - opinions? Reply with quote

pillbug wrote:
I've been looking at Dave Smith Instruments for a bit of analog addition to my RADIAS-R. With the Memorial Day sales events, I can get a Mopho keyboard for $680 or a Mono Evolver Keyboard for $1080.

It looks like Mopho and MEK will both produce similar analog sounds, whereas I'd have to use outboard FX with Mopho, the MEK has effects plus the 2 digital OSCs as well.

Looking at the architecture, MEK looks (on paper) similar to the RADIAS... so,
Is it worth the extra cost for the MEK which will complement the RADIAS or will it almost duplicate it in some respects? Or are the MEK sound possibilities so far advanced from the Mopho that it'd be worth it?

As much as I'd love to say Analogue is the super-coolio and that my Moog is 10 million times better than my R3, it's not really. While I love my Moog Slim Phatty, the only characteristics different from a digital synth is that the sub-ranges are ever present, and resonance sounds much gooier/creamier/something.

So honestly, as much as I hate to say it, go for more features over more analogue. Unless your after the very distinctive resonance of an analogue synth.
pillbug

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone used the Mono Evolver Keyboard? I am looking at one $899 USED - is it worth it?
zalo

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter what you get, there is going to be overlap. I have a Prophet 08 rack and I love it.

The Mopho has 2 OSC and 2 sub OSC, people I have talked to don't really mention the MEK effects, this might be a good or bad thing. I would go with the Mopho Keyboard personally.
pillbug

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Zalo. Mopho may be the way to go. I'm tempted to call about the used MEK though.
I do have outboard effects I can use, namely EH Small Stone phaser and DL4 delay which are both quite good. Though I do appreciate the effects settings being saved with programs, like on the RADIAS. The RADIAS is so easy to program, tweak and work with (unlike menu diving on the Triton Extreme) and it sounds great, but it lacks a little in the bass dept. and the filters aren't great. It's obviously got versatility going for it though.
ozy

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mopho key Shame on you is junk [not the sound engine, which is good: the keyboard and panel and software are expensive junk].

Forget about using it as a master keyboard for the radias.

I got one, and sold it in 20 days. awful.

Go for the mono evolver keyboard Cool [sweeeeeet instrument. Ok, maybe bittersweet Confused . Harsh-sweet. Twisted Evil Whatever]

OR

if on a budget, just go for the impossibly cheap and hugely performant mopho module Applause .

It will add a totally different filter[s] and OSCs to your radias
zalo

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I have read says that the Mopho Key and the MEK have the same keybed and pots. Also the size of the Mopho Key seems so much better.
pillbug

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
mopho key Shame on you is junk [not the sound engine, which is good: the keyboard and panel and software are expensive junk].

Forget about using it as a master keyboard for the radias.

I got one, and sold it in 20 days. awful.

Was the keybed as crappy as on the Alesis Micron? (i.e. an unplayable toy?)
Eat-Static

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
if on a budget, just go for the impossibly cheap and hugely performant mopho module .

+1

Best £255 i ever spent .

Eat-Static.
ROLAND SP404SX JUNO-G
ozy

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pillbug wrote:
Was the mophokey keybed as crappy as on the Alesis Micron? (i.e. an unplayable toy?)

a) not SO bad! Come on... Shocked

but

b) mopho module: 300 eur, mopho key: 700 eur. THAT crappy panel and keys, 400 euros? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Get a used mopho module, IMHO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: