Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB Audio

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: USB Audio Reply with quote

Searching the manuals, I cannot find the answers to USB audio in and output.
I know that 24‐bit, 48kHz optical S/P DIF, will provide an excellent signal to and from Kronos/Audio Interface/Computer.
That being said, can someone shed some light on the USB audio (B) connection and how it measures up to spdif?

When using S/PDIF, you make the appropriate selection in Kronos.
Why then, is there no settings when using USB in Kronos? This is a digital connection also, right?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge here, Embarassed I have used analog connections forever and will now be switching over to USB or S/PDIF,
just trying to understand exactly what it is and what the differences are, .. thanks.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USB would definitely be the same 48 kHz and probably 24 bit too.

USB 3 would have been a nice touch though.
JimH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. There are settings in the manual that refer to the USB I/O. For example, in the Operation Guide page 195, the Audio Inputs section shows that you can select USB as an input to the effects or to sampling, same as S/PDIF. As far as USB output, I think the USB just outputs the same thing as the main analog output except that it's a digital representation of it. So if there's a lack of output selection for USB maybe that's why (I haven't searched specifically for that.)
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SPDIF connections look like lightpipe/optical (from what I can see).

The USB (a) & (b) issue is this -

USB (a) is the long flat connector/socket arrangement - for connecting thumb drives/hard drives.

USB (b) is the "squarer" connection - usually found on interfaces (in this case, Kronos is being used as an interface)

So how they all measure up? They're all outputting the same thing really, although the optical will be "audio", adn can be connected directly into a digital mixer, for example.
The USB stream/connection will be data, and has to be connected to an IT-related device.

Hope this helps a bit Cool

DAn Smile
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ksynth wrote:
The USB would definitely be the same 48 kHz and probably 24 bit too.
Yep, usb is 24‐bit, 48kHz
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
The SPDIF connections look like lightpipe/optical (from what I can see).
So how they all measure up? They're all outputting the same thing really, although the optical will be "audio", adn can be connected directly into a digital mixer, for example.
The USB stream/connection will be data, and has to be connected to an IT-related device.

Sorry for the confusion, what I am looking to do is use the Kronos usb (24 bit, 48kHz) for audio out to my DAW and as we discussed previously,
create an aggregate device using my Ensemble for input and output of the usb and (vocals, which are going into Ensemble S/PDIF.)
Does that sound right? Rolling Eyes That's why I was trying to understand the usb audio thingy..
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha Wink
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: