Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Delete all Unassigned/Unused multi-samples in PA3x?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Delete all Unassigned/Unused multi-samples in PA3x? Reply with quote

I was wondering if such an option has been added to PA3x sample management facility?

That was and still is a big problem for those who constantly work with samples, or merge sets ...etc. If you have junk multi-samples loaded in your keyboard that you no longer use and for various reasons you or someone else did't give the multi-sample a name, you're pretty much stuck with it.
There's no way for the keyboard to generate a report. There're no option to choose "Delete all Unassigned/unused multi-samples". The only one who knows the secret location of those samples is the keyboard itself. But it doesn't want to share that info with the operator. Bad attitude??

Paolo@Korg
Korg Italy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

This option can be selected in Sampling mode. When you are in any Sample Edit/Sample Record page, or in any Multisample page, choose the Delete command, and then the Not assigned/Unassigned option.

Best,
Paolo
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tramannoni wrote:
Sam,

This option can be selected in Sampling mode. When you are in any Sample Edit/Sample Record page, or in any Multisample page, choose the Delete command, and then the Not assigned/Unassigned option.

Best,
Paolo

Hi Paolo,
That option only removes "unassigned" sample. What about an option to remove "All Unassigned Multi-samles"?
How could one remove all unused samples and multisamples that are not assigned to anything.

The "Not assigned to any MultiSample/DrumKit" option only removes the Samples that are not ASSIGNED to any MutliSample.

we do have an option to delete a sample that's not assigned to any multi sample, but you do not have an option to delete an Unassigned/unused multi sample automatically. If you delete an audio loop, chances are that you would also want to get all the multisample/samples related to that loop be deleted as well. If so, why can't we just delete all "unassigned multisamples"?
This is particularly a big problem if a multi-sample doesn't have a descriptive name. Ms000001, Ms0000022 don't mean anything, so if one has those kind of multi samples, they're just going to sit there.

Jerry from korg responded to this request long time ago saying:

"When making samples and multisamples there are tools for naming them. If you don't use them it's going to be harder to keep track of what you're doing, and what you have. I know it's more work, but it's there for a reason, right? And now you're in a situation where you probably wish you had named them.

I feel your frustration now, but it partially comes from not having used the system. Good third party companies for any product always do this work, it's tedious and not the fun part of sound design and music-making, but it's essential to do it.

The Korg system of sample management IS based on the memory slot the sample is loaded into, or the multisample is located in. It does not search/use samples by name. Sames as a Combination in a Korg Japan product and it's relationship to Programs. Or the tracks of the sequencer and their relationship to a Program - it's always the location/memory slot that is referenced, not the name of the object. "

My response: "
I don't think the example of Combination in its realtionship to programs is quiet the same as the relationship of a sound to its samples and multisample. yes, they both reference location, but in combination you can always see what it's being referenced to. You can easily look under the hood and see what sounds in what location make up the combination.

The question is how do you know what multisample is referenced to what sound? Just trying to be reasonable here. Knowing that the majority of users are not going to sample and design sounds from scratch, they'll load the sounds with whatever names were given to them.

Either, you would have to have the ability to generate a report to see what references what, or there could've been a fourth option in the sampling page called: "Delete all Unused/unassigned Multisamples". Maybe you can pass a note to Korg Italy to look into this for future developments. The exit strategy for getting rid of unwanted samples/multisamples is not user friendly at all for a professional keyboard."

Jerry:

"Well, let's think this through. You're asking me to recommend making more code/work because people are not going to use the system as it is designed (naming their multisamples, at least), right?
Sorry, I'm not being a smart a**, but in a way that's the issue. And if most of the users are simply sharing/using the work of others, then it really is the responsibility of those people/sound designers to do their homework...
I agree that both a Delete sample or delete multisamples is a good idea, BTW. "

and finally me again:

"All i'm saying is that why this keyboard has to keep the referenced multisample a "secret"? if the keyboard knows where the multisample is, I'd like to have that important piece of info shared with me as an operator of that keyboard too! I assure you that 8 out of 10 PA keyboards are full of unused multisamples and users are not even aware of it. For oriental keyboardists is 10 out of 10 keyboards. Why do you think they ask for more memory all the time?

Regardless of who made a mistake along the line by forgetting or not naming or whatever the scenerio is, it only makes sense to have a tool to get rid of junk , or even correct someone else's mistake. Making "more code/more work" will just improve the system, blaming people will not do that in this case.
If you want the keyboard to keep the referenced location a secret as it is now (if the user failed to name the MS, or had no control over that), the best way would be an option to "delete all unassigned/unused MS".

At this point it feels like my keyboard is telling me: I know where the MS is, but i'm not gonna tell you!"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: