Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Mopho able to replace Pro One or Multimoog?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pillbug

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Is Mopho able to replace Pro One or Multimoog? Reply with quote

Is the Mopho Keyboard up to the task of replicating/replacing a Sequential Circuits Pro One or a Multimoog?
I have a Multimoog, was looking at getting a Pro One for $1500 (on ebay now) mainly for its sequencer... but it seems like the Mopho (possibly the Mono Evolver Keyboard) could approximate the analogness of either of these classics.
Opinions?
Hanon_CTS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Nothing sounds like an analog, but an analog Reply with quote

Hello pillbug,
Since you've solicited opinions.
Here's mine.
IMHO,
no virtual analog, or neo-analog will ever quite match the edge, warmth, and dodgy-ness of a real vintage analog synth.

The Multimoog is a great synth, so you have your analog food group covered.
You might get more features and use out of the Mopho.

Just my .02

Cheers, hanon
dayuri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had fun with a Mopho before but yeah I'm not sure if you can compare it to the Pro One or the Multimoog.

But why buy a Pro One for its sequencer? You could sequence your Multimoog with an external sequencer more customizable than the one built into the Pro One, or if you're already using a laptop, then sequence with that.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Multimoogs quite rare - rarer than the Pro One? I don't think you can go wrong with holding onto it.
pillbug

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Yea, I will hold onto the Multimoog for sure. Just looking for something new I guess, to add a different dimension to my 3 Korgs.
I really like the Evolver demos I've heard so I've been looking at that as well, though in many ways it seems similar to the RADIAS.
dayuri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really paid attention to the Evolver, but I just saw a bit of it on youtube and it sure is nice.
genesisfan63

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Poly Evolver Reply with quote

Poly Evolver is the best of both worlds analog & digital
but is limited in its polyphony......
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer would be yes. The Pro one is not really an amazing analog synth in terms of analog warmth. It does not share the type of distortion apparent in something like a micro moog. It's a pretty controlled analog. I have 2 and they are very similar.

However if you can get a good deal on an old Moog, I would go for it.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer is NO, no new analog can ever replace the sound of vintage analogs. The technology is different. The sound is cleaner, but lacks a lot of character and punch of the original vintage analogs. Mopho cannot and will not replace the sound of a Pro One 100%. Different chips, different layout, different everything.

This is also the reason why new Moogs aren't even a mere shadow of the old ones. Little Phatty sounds thin (especially in high end) compared to a vintage Mini. Voyager is a bit better, but not the same.

Some people will still like them. But it is a mistake to think that the sound of genuine vintage synths can be completely replaced by a newer tech analog.

Andromeda might be the only possible exception, because it is utterly flexible. But it still won't get you everywhere.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is can the MOPHO replace something like the Pro One?

Quote:
Affordable, fully programmable mono synth with a 100% analog signal path.
Classic, real analog sound—including legendary Curtis analog low-pass filter.

Quote:
The voice architecture is similar to a single voice of the Prophet '08, but with a couple of twists to distinguish it from its award-winning sibling.

etc...

So the answer is YES!

I have a Pro One, actually I have 2 so believe me, the answer is yes. OF COURSE it is not 100% but can it replace it? Of course.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Functionally, perhaps. Sound-wise, definitely no.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are giving the Pro one too much credit. It is not that great sounding. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: