Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI help...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saig0n

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: MIDI help... Reply with quote

ok, I'm getting pissed off.

can I only do multi-timberal MIDI files in SEQ mode?
why is it that when I stop and start a MIDI file, all the patches go back
to 001 piano and all the levels and settings are gone?
it's infuritating!

any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers,
simon
saig0n

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

14 views and no reply yet... come on people!

here's more description:
I load a GM MIDI into Cakewalk on my PC,
I init GM on the TR in SEQ mode,
the MIDI plays fine with Master effects levels
and all patch and control changes

now, if i change the TR to program, it won't play at all
if I change the TR to COMBI it will play,
but the patches are all messed up

what I want to do is use Korg patches and not be limited to the GM set
also, I want to be able to stop and start a MIDI file while I'm working
without all the 16 channels of MIDI going back to Piano with all the levels and effects messed up. I've done lot's of experimenting, but nothing works and I need some help here!

does anyone have any ideas?

thanks!
simon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its a workstation man,you should have bought arranger Smile
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

501, that's not helpful at all.

I don't have much experience with playing back MIDI files to the sequencer, but I think if you want to use your own sounds you've got to eliminate the Program Change commands that are in the MIDI Track.

Korg's sequencer obviously stores its settings in a data structure, but traditional MIDI files have no such functionality. Instead, you'll find a lot of MIDI tracks will have set-up information for each channel in the 1st bar. Generally bank, program number, as well as level, pan, and FX Send GM CCs might be set up at the start of each track.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And soon as he press "start", they will be screwed again.My point is that TR workstation is simply not good for midis.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that was my point - you have to remove the program changes in the MIDI tracks and perhaps also not use GM Init mode.
Then the tracks won't reset on playback.

If the tracks always reset on playback, then it wouldn't be much of a workstation.

The whole point of workstations is supposed to be the ability to edit and record MIDI.

Arrangers are more aimed towards a live performance and 'solo act' market.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
saig0n

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input fellas. So here's what I'm doing: initializing the device with Korg banks and running in Seq mode. Then I'm setting the bank and patch on the channel and not in the MIDI stream. This seems to keep the patches straight while stopping and starting (not too sure about pan, volume, effects and other settings though).

However, I haven't been able to get the master effects to work over MIDI *unless* I do the GM initialize. Then they work fine. Don't know what that's all about. Also, I've copied and pasted some SYSEX strings and been able to alter the master effects (reverb length, level). Have to do some more research about that, though there are woefully few resources I've found.

Cheers,
Simon
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i did on my karm is go event edit track by track and only delete control changes and program chaanges. this will eliminate all program changes AND it will stop your midi from turning off i-fx-15

its fairly simple to do.... Major inconvenience...

then go to the midi filter page and shut off program changes for all tracks. as well as 'other control changes'

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
saig0n

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help. I actually figured out everything I needed to do, but holy smokes... not with much help from the manual!

I'm now the unofficial TR MIDI expert 8^)

Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: