Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slider caps - rubber coating is melting?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leo200

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. But look's to me strange be age problem after 4-5 years. Korg! What you'll say?

OASYS 76 #000145, Kurzweil K2600S, Yamaha QS300
TagPass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's the latest update:

Mouser did not have knobs that are oriented the same direction as the Korg ones. (Apparently, the O needs North-oriented knobs, but all of the ones from Mouser are South.)

But Dave Smith Instruments has come through for me, and a shipment of Prophet'08-style encoders are on the way. I'll post a final pic once they arrive.

In the meantime, I've gotten absolutely zero information in response to my question to Korg USA Support, which is... well, disappointing, to say the least. I guess when they stopped supporting the Oasys, it meant that even simple inquiries would go unanswered.

Since I was left to my own devices, I *did* manage to find a parts supplier that had Korg knobs for sale that looked like the appropriate match for the originals. Unfortunately, at a price point of $5 each, I'm not willing to take the risk that the Korg part won't also turn to goo.
Robert Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Slider caps - rubber coating is melting?! Reply with quote

Same thing happened to my 76 O. Glad to know I am not alone.
markuk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why dont you all put the serial number of your oasys on here? That way you will have a better idea if the problem has anything to do with the age of the sliders. I am assuming the serial number of the oasys determines the age of the slider caps.
TagPass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine = Oasys 76, Serial 000317
Robert Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Slider caps - rubber coating is melting?! Reply with quote

The serial # for my Oasys 76 is #503, purchased new 12-26-06. The sliders are melting.

The serial # for my 88 is #1897 purchased new (6-09). The sliders on this unit are holding up fine.

This is a mystery. Can I expect the sliders on the 88 to "get sticky with it" too?

Has Korg acknowledged this part defect?

Robert
leo200

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My is 000145. Probably age make sense. Or it's a quality problem?
Because I never had have this problem with any other sliders, even way older

Pity,but korg keeping silence. I feel like we are no exist on the planet Korg.
Funny- with most expensive Korg product we are not exist. ((

t_tangent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone leaves their O in a place where it may be exposed to sunlight at any time during the day, and if so for how long. Mine is kept from sunlight almost all the time and so far no sticky sliders. Just thought it was possibly worth mentioning in case.
leo200

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t_tangent wrote:
Just wondering if anyone leaves their O in a place where it may be exposed to sunlight at any time during the day, and if so for how long. Mine is kept from sunlight almost all the time and so far no sticky sliders. Just thought it was possibly worth mentioning in case.

I'm not. But sliders are sticky.
What is your serial number?

Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t_tangent wrote:
Just wondering if anyone leaves their O in a place where it may be exposed to sunlight

I was thinking the same thing. It could be a combination of direct heat and skin acid that's breaking down the plastic.

For those wanting to replace their sliders I suggest trying the ones found on the D3200. The latter are pretty much identical to the Oasys slider and only slightly larger by a few millimeters. And they look to be a better quality part.

Here's what they look like installed on the Oasys:

Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
leo200

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting! Great look and photos!
Where I can obtain this sliders?

cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinity2112 wrote:
For those wanting to replace their sliders I suggest trying the ones found on the D3200. The latter are pretty much identical to the Oasys slider and only slightly larger by a few millimeters. And they look to be a better quality part.

Very good call - thanks for posting! I have a D3200 and can confirm that they are very similar to the O sliders; great to know we have a plan B Cool

I have O-88, #1111 but don't have any signs of the OP's issue (as yet).
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leo200 wrote:
Where I can obtain this sliders?

From http://www.guitar-parts.com. However, I don't know if they ship to Israel.

cello wrote:

Very good call - thanks for posting! I have a D3200 and can confirm that they are very similar to the O sliders; great to know we have a plan B Cool

The only problem with these particular sliders is that they have a deeper cavity where they slide down onto the metal blade. So they drag along the surface of the Oasys. I'll have to device something to offset this.

UPDATE: Upon closer observation with a magnifying glass, the sliders are not making contact with the Oasys surface. I was hearing the movement of the blade along its track. So it looks like there's a good alternative to the Oasys sliders. And the D3200 sliders certainly look better.

BTW, my Oasys sliders are fine as well.
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3

Last edited by Trinity2112 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TagPass wrote:
In the meantime, I've gotten absolutely zero information in response to my question to Korg USA Support, which is... well, disappointing, to say the least. I guess when they stopped supporting the Oasys, it meant that even simple inquiries would go unanswered.

I would suggest calling/phoning Korg Product Support. When you call, also write down the name of the person to whom you are speaking, so you have a follow-up contact.

I assume sliders can be ordered from any Korg Authorized Service Center, just like other parts.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
I assume sliders can be ordered from any Korg Authorized Service Center, just like other parts.

I guess that's what we would all assume, but for a parts inquiry to have no response in 7 days is not looking good... and that's from Korg USA - logically should be best of them all because of market size and market requirements.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: