Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS RAM UPGRADE 2Go to 4 Go
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Neko
Junior Member


Joined: 09 Nov 2009
Posts: 70
Location: France

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be written next to the video description.

It's Death and the healing by Wintersun.
If you like it I suggest you look further for this band, i've been a metalhead for many years now and I can tell I don't know other band that can deliver as much magic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EvilDragon
Platinum Member


Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 1992
Location: Croatia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wintersun is awesome! Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McHale
Platinum Member


Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 2438
Location: B.F.E. Illinois

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neko wrote:
I made a little video to show how to upgrade to 4BG RAM. I just did it recently and it's actually quite safe if you know how to use both your hands, assuming you do so if you have a Kronos =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjJaG89t7lk


good vid. For the 88, the only difference is you remove all the screws that go into the wood bottom except the 4 screws that hold the rubber feet on. There is no bar.

...at least that's what someone told me. I wouldn't know because I'd never open mine up!
_________________
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
synthjoe
Platinum Member


Joined: 21 Apr 2010
Posts: 1011

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
...at least that's what someone told me. I wouldn't know because I'd never open mine up!
xDxDxDxD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ProfessorShred



Joined: 22 Sep 2007
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neko wrote:


i've been a metalhead for many years now and I can tell I don't know other band that can deliver as much magic.



Hmmm about a band from New Jersey named Symphony X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Serg



Joined: 04 Jul 2011
Posts: 8
Location: St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neko wrote:
It should be written next to the video description.

It's Death and the healing by Wintersun.
If you like it I suggest you look further for this band, i've been a metalhead for many years now and I can tell I don't know other band that can deliver as much magic.


Thank you Neko:)
_________________
Best regards

Serg
_______________________________
Korg Kronos 88 (ordered)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SpIdErWeB
Full Member


Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 209
Location: France

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, you just need to swap the SSD by a $279 OWC 120 GB SSD, the new Extreme Pro 6G, and it might reduce the boot and loading time by 4 Smile

I'm just thinking out loud...

Here's the OWC page: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/

You can still try with a 240 or 480 GB, but it might be too expensive now and not very useful now... But if we can convert some Sample Libraries (Kontakt format) in Akai or SF2 to use them with the Kronos, then it could be interesting to consider a bigger drives....

Again, just thinking out loud...

I'm gone Smile
Spid
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SpIdErWeB
Full Member


Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 209
Location: France

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: For whom's wondering, here's some benchmark and speed test (it's done on a MacMini, but it still gives an idea of the speed):

http://blog.macsales.com/11258-by-the-numbers-what-can-an-owc-6g-ssd-do-for-your-2011-mac-mini

With a Extreme 6G SSD, you can literally read 210 MB/s, so you could load 1 GB EXs in 5 seconds Smile

I'm out of here now Smile
Spid
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EvilDragon
Platinum Member


Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 1992
Location: Croatia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the data bus cannot keep up with its bandwidth, you'll never get that maximum of 210 MB/s in real life. And I presume that's the reason Kronos' boot time is that slow (Kronos also has an older generation SSD inside, most likely).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SpIdErWeB
Full Member


Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 209
Location: France

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atom Motherboards use SATA II 3Gb/s ports, which allow 300 MB/s bandwidth per port... well enough to handle the SSD.

Last edited by SpIdErWeB on Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GregC
Platinum Member


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 9404
Location: Discovery Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
PS: For whom's wondering, here's some benchmark and speed test (it's done on a MacMini, but it still gives an idea of the speed):

http://blog.macsales.com/11258-by-the-numbers-what-can-an-owc-6g-ssd-do-for-your-2011-mac-mini

With a Extreme 6G SSD, you can literally read 210 MB/s, so you could load 1 GB EXs in 5 seconds Smile

I'm out of here now Smile
Spid


wow, its like NASCAR for computer nerds
Smile
_________________
Kronos 88. MODX8
Achieve your musical dreams Smile
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SpIdErWeB
Full Member


Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 209
Location: France

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a computer nerd... which is thinking about building a Raid SSD MacMini Server to reach the 995 MB/s and then be able to load 1GB Sample Library in a second only...

That should be fast enough to load huge Kontakt, Eastwest and Spectrasonics libraries in almost "realtime" Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EvilDragon
Platinum Member


Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 1992
Location: Croatia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
I'm a computer nerd... which is thinking about building a Raid SSD MacMini Server to reach the 995 MB/s and then be able to load 1GB Sample Library in a second only...


No need for that. See OCZ RevoDrives. PCI-X SSDs Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EvilDragon
Platinum Member


Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 1992
Location: Croatia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpIdErWeB wrote:
Atom Motherboards use SATA II 3Gb/s ports, which allow 300 MB/s bandwidth per port... well enough to handle the SSD.


OK, that's hardware. Is there anything software (OS) related that needs to be done to support full bandwidth of the SATA bus?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SpIdErWeB
Full Member


Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 209
Location: France

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
SpIdErWeB wrote:
Atom Motherboards use SATA II 3Gb/s ports, which allow 300 MB/s bandwidth per port... well enough to handle the SSD.


OK, that's hardware. Is there anything software (OS) related that needs to be done to support full bandwidth of the SATA bus?


Nothing more that what's already done for the current SSD. That's why I do believe it should work Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group